Which cash currency to use for one week trip to Luang Prabang

Keeps

Good evening,

Myself and Thai GF will be visiting Luang Prabang for 1 week early next year arriving by air from Thailand. I will probably apply for E-visa prior to the trip, my GF will probably opt for the visa on arrival.

With regards to day to day cash expenditure could anyone advise on best currency to use? I appreciate that I might need some pristine USD for certain payments (GF's visa for instance?). It would make life easier If I could just take Thai baht to use in restaurants, shops etc. I am not expecting any major outlays as flight/hotel already paid for. I don't want to be incurring credit card charges for minor purchases.

Any guidance and helpful comments very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, HungDonger said:

I think it's free for Thai's entering Laos.

Visa on arrival (for you) is easy and cheaper than e-visa.

Change some Baht to Kip at a Money Changer but make sure you don't end up with an excess when you leave.

Thanks for the useful advice. I recall reading somewhere that Thai's could enter Laos at a land border for a limited number of days (3?) without requiring a visa but for an arrival by air for a 7 day stay would require either an e-visa or visa on arrival.

Is anyone able to clarify this point? Thanks in advance.

I am assuming that as long as I have Thai baht cash with me I will only need US$ to pay for the visas on  arrival plus a few extra just in case.

Thanks again

• 4 months later...
On 12/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, HungDonger said:

I think it's free for Thai's entering Laos.

Visa on arrival (for you) is easy and cheaper than e-visa.

Change some Baht to Kip at a Money Changer but make sure you don't end up with an excess when you leave.

What's the concern with having excess Kip when you are ready to leave, is it difficult to exchange Kip for dollars or baht as one is leaving Laos?

On 12/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, Keeps said:

Thai's could enter Laos at a land border for a limited number of days (3?) without requiring a visa

The 3-day scheme is for Thais entering Laos without a passport. They need to obtain border pass at a government office in Nong Kai before entering Laos. It's not really relevant for your situation, but worth clarifying.

Unfortunately I don't know what the situation is for a Thai entering with a Thai passport, which would be much more helpful for you. I remember going with my girlfriend (at the time) a few years back, and I don't think she needed any kind of visa, but I could easily be mistaken.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Thais don't need a visa they get a pass on entry- not sure how long it is valid for though.

Basically apart for paying for the vA (in US dollars) the currency is Laos Kip.

I travelled wit a Thai citizen for a week and remember there was some debate as to how long it was valid for, but t= we had no hassle on re-entry

you can use a lot of different currencies in Laos but they are mostly illegal.

Vietnam, Chinese, Thai and Dollars are the most common.

THe problem with the Kip is once you've got it, you're stuck with it - so don't buy anymore than your need. I used ATMS over there to buy kip and THai baht.

On the border buy your visa in US dollars. in Baht or Kip, you will pay more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1