Visa Run from Phuket

I have a multiple entry TR visa from the US that I will extend 30 days tomorrow.  I normally enter with a retirement visa.  This will be my first border/visa run. 

My priority is cheap and quick but failing this, enjoying my time is priority.

Flying out in the morning and back in the evening is best.  Who doesn't like sleeping in their own bed? but not necessary.

Flying out in the afternoon, spending the night and flying back the following morning is also okay.

Ground travel might be okay as long as i am not spending many hours in a crowded bus, van or car.  A train is an interesting idea and i might spend many hours on a train if it proves interesting or a land border crossing is somehow better. 

So, let us hear some ideas...

I did a visa run myself with taxi from Hatyai to Wang Prachan last month. 

However, Wang Prachan is tiny and only one staff working each window. Last Friday my friend gave up and turned around as there was too many visa runs from Phuket. The immigration at border are charging some people 1,300, others 2,000 and if big queues 3500. 

In a few weeks the borders with Malaysia will be impossible to cross as there will be thousands of Russians each day from Phuket. 

Even Hatyai now has a growing Russian population. The border crossings to Malaysia are going to be brutal come January

Edited by Leon1980
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Leon1980 said:

However, Wang Prachan is tiny and only one staff working each window. Last Friday my friend gave up and turned around as there was too many visa runs from Phuket. The immigration at border are charging some people 1,300, others 2,000 and if big queues 3500. 

In a few weeks the borders with Malaysia will be impossible to cross as there will be thousands of Russians each day from Phuket. 

Even Hatyai now has a growing Russian population. The border crossings to Malaysia are going to be brutal come January

Yes, so it sounds like a great opportunity an agency in Hatyai... i am not into brutal right now haha! 

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

quirk &  inexpensive fly to Penang, one of my favorite cites in SE Asia, free voa 

Why PEN over KUL? I am seeing long return flights from PEN and not from KUL.  Price a little better for KUL as well.  You like the city that much better? keep in mind i have been to neither.

You arrived with a current Visa from Thailand? do you recall what paperwork they are looking for?

Thanks for your help...

9 minutes ago, TimLMT said:

Why PEN over KUL?

Yes PEN seems unrealistic.

No daily flight. Maybe 3 a week or so. Afternoon with "Firefly"(?) airlines.

KUL daily 8:45 with AirAsia (arrive 11:15), return 18:50 (arrive 19:20).

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, TimLMT said:

Why PEN over KUL? I am seeing long return flights from PEN and not from KUL.  Price a little better for KUL as well.  You like the city that much better? keep in mind i have been to neither.

You arrived with a current Visa from Thailand? do you recall what paperwork they are looking for?

Thanks for your help...

dont like KL, to big a city for me. Georgetown Penang is a great place to spend a few days, 
great food, nightlife, walkable, easy to access attractions with public bus, various accommodation and a  world heritage site!!

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes PEN seems unrealistic.

No daily flight. Maybe 3 a week or so. Afternoon with "Firefly"(?) airlines.

That is quite untrue. Between Thai Smile and Thai AirAsia, there are already three daily flights, and there are other less frequent services.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is quite untrue. Between Thai Smile and Thai AirAsia, there are already three daily flights, and there are other less frequent services.

When I refer to flights Phuket to Penang I mean direct/nonstop flights.

Not the three daily flights with Thaismile via Bangkok for 9740 Baht oneway! Seven hours travel time.

Screenshot_20221206_105741_Chrome.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

When I refer to flights Phuket to Penang I mean direct/nonstop flights.

Not the three daily flights with Thaismile via Bangkok for 9740 Baht oneway! Seven hours travel time.

Screenshot_20221206_105741_Chrome.jpg

That is certainly very expensive. The Thai AirAsia flight (5 hours) is obviously a much better option:

image.png.0ff177f16408dd10ee18d485e6d5dacb.png

I agree that it is not a direct flight, but it is what I would use if planning to return to Thailand overland.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, Leon1980 said:

I also want to do this soon... How / Why / What are they charging 1,300??

Isn't a Visa Exempt Entry stamp supposed to be free?