Workout Gym?

schopenhaur

Will be visiting shortly. Does anyone know of a fitness gym that is open? Nothing fancy, just a decent free weight set up or machines. I'm not a heavy or powerlifter or anything. I usually go to the stadium gym in bangkok next to MBK. Something like that, but probably smaller in Pattaya. Cheapish would be a bonus!

2 minutes ago, schopenhaur said:

SUN looks good! Any first hand experience? Busy most of the time (waiting)? Reviews ar mixed on whether or not there is decent AC/ fan in the gym.

No firsthand experience. I'd guess how busy it is depends on the time of day. Earlier should be less busy and cooler as well. I suspect the A/C will be bearable, if only just, according to your own needs & expectations. Might give it a try before all the others, nothing much to lose.

We had thread on this topic a few months ago. Seems to me @roger101  was going to try SUN. If so, maybe he'll jump in and give a review. May have been some other member, however.

Sun is cheap, has good machines, but is cramped and can often be busy.  Reports about air con being weak there 

Fitness 7 has more space and more equipment for heavy lifting but is about 1600 a month.  Half the gym has good air con.

Coco is slightly cheaper and has more air con, but not geared towards heavy lifting.

Then there is muscle factory, no air con, but better equipment.  Can be busy at times 

Gyms in Pattaya are expensive,at least by regional standards and for day pass . Sun gym at 120 Baht for a day pass is probably one of the better deals in Pattaya. I think it's 900 Baht a month, which is reasonable. The last time I was at Sun was 3 weeks ago late afternoon /evening. It was busy, but not too busy. Decent equipment and air-conditioning was in working order. That place used to be Tony, a fellow keen on selling life time membership, and then all of a sudden closing down all his establishments. Did he do a runner? 

6 hours ago, schopenhaur said:

SUN looks good! Any first hand experience? Busy most of the time (waiting)? Reviews ar mixed on whether or not there is decent AC/ fan in the gym.

Sun is busy now. air good.  900/mn

There is also coco gym (air) in Mike's mall and 24/7 Fitness  (half gym is air) all within same vicinity of central pattaya.

if in Na Klua, you can go to the Muay Thai training gym across from Terminal 21.  Weights usually not busy, only the thai boxing area busy.

if in Pratamnuk, Human strong (usually empty) and Muscle factory (best gym, big, modern...but I'm told it's like a bunch of fitness models in there lol).  All gyms this area no AC.

or pick a condo complex that has a little gym to rent at.

Universal Gym, Welcome Town beside Foodland on Pattaya Klang, is hardcore and well-equipped. Been around in one form or another for decades. Good value.

Aircon + fans bearable, but it's likely you may work up a sweat. Usually not crowded during the day. More expensive gyms typically have better aircon, esp. ones affiliated with hotels.

I trained at SUN fitness for about 5 months daily earlier this year. Good gym, air con is ok. Good equipment, they also have a gym in naklua you can use. It was not to busy but now it's high(ish) season so I imagine it is busier. As mentioned 900 baht a month.

When I go back in January I will be training at the new Elite gym on Sukhumvit road next to McDonald's. Same owners as Elite gym in samui. Good Aircon, all new equipment. 200 baht a day, 500 weekly, 1500 monthly.

I'd say at the moment it's the best gym. I've trained at Tony's, Castra, Universe, Coco's and fitness 7 over the past 12 years.