Opening a Thai bank account on a tourist visa at a bank that is not Bangkok Bank

I already have an account with Bangkok Bank that I opened many years ago, I am in need of a second bank account with another bank. Currently I am on a tourist visa. I have tried to open an account with 30 (yes thirty) different branches in Chonburi, Bangkok and Phuket and been told very consistently that they do not open bank accounts for people on tourist visas and that a “one year visa” is required. The representative at Krungsri in central festival in Pattaya told me it is illegal to open accounts for tourists. 

I would like to know if someone out there has been able to open a Thai bank account at bank that is not Bangkok Bank, on a tourist visa, recently (in the year 2022, not ten years ago) and where that branch is so I can go there and open an account. 

Thank you.

Edited by Everyman

If you have an US or RU passport then no luck ????‍♂️ else try to hint the bank staff that you're willing to purchase a life insurance (approx 6k THB) along with a bank account.

Also Krungsri is usually difficult, you should try Kasikorn instead. And Krung Thai is the most PITA.

Bring as much documents as you can, a certificate of residence + affidavit from your embassy + life insurance will get you an account almost 100% sure.

Edited by fdsa
  • Haha 2

The lease you bring with you, that you need, should be in the same area where you try. Next you will say, you want to open a account because you need to deposit the 400,000 baht to prepare for the 1 year non-o visa with your soon to be wife or child.

Bring a Thai with you that speaks and looks decent, makes it easier for the staff too if not fluent in english. Could be some agent too as written above.

True too, that sometimes then you need to buy a small insurance as written above.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

21 hours ago, fdsa said:

you should try Kasikorn instead

I was in Kasikorn last week, I asked them if my friend on tourist visa could open an account, and the answer was “absolutely not”. They had a book listing the various exceptions for allowing foreigners to open a bank account and then the required documents for this, so I think it is company-wide policy, not just this branch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It never gets as far as showing them documents or having long conversations in Thai. They ask to see my passport, find my tourist visa and tell me no. Every single time, at 40 different branches. 

I think there needs to be a sticky thread or something telling people that is no longer possible to open an account on a tourist visa unless it is Bangkok Bank, and it may not even be possible there either. I don’t know.

On 12/5/2022 at 2:03 PM, fdsa said:

If you have an US or RU passport then no luck

Thai banks don't impose any restrictions on Russian citizens, as per Thailand's neutral stance in this conflict. In fact, hordes of Russian people opened accounts with Bangkok bank after Russian debit cards were banned by Visa and Mastercard.

As for Americans, some banks are reluctant due to extra paperwork required by the US authorities.

Edited by JoseThailand