Thailand Post Introduces Digital Post ID

snoop1130

6b4f4a8b3115adc8c14cc0a0898e5378_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand Post has introduced a new way of digitally addressing mail recipients with its new Digital Post ID service, using digital codes instead of written addresses.

Speaking at the launch ceremony, Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn said Digital Post ID implements a coordinates-based system similar to GPS, allowing postal operators to get a precise location of the delivery destination.

The Digital Post ID is also capable of accounting for verticality so postal workers know if the recipient lives on a high floor.

Thailand Post is set to pilot the new service early next year, with the national rollout expected to take place in 2024.

Thailand Post CEO Dhanant Subhadrabandhu explained that the QR code-based system could in the future be printed on mail and packages sent via Thailand Post, replacing written recipient names and addresses entirely.

According to the Thailand Post CEO, each code assigned to a particular shipment will be single-use, thereby helping protect the personal information of customers.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221205134758196

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-12-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

We have something similar in the UK, it's the post code, narrows the delivery address down to a very small handful or addresses, then they just need to look at the house number or name.

Thailand has something like that already, or at least Bangkok does. The post code 10XXX then the house code xx/xx where the first number is the block within that post code and the second is the house within that block. 

22 minutes ago, ukrules said:

We have something similar in the UK, it's the post code, narrows the delivery address down to a very small handful or addresses, then they just need to look at the house number or name.

The new system could be really useful in Thailand. Will it help taxi drivers though? Most don't even seem able to use Google maps or follow the Grab app map to destination. 

In the UK some rural properties have a dedicated postcode as do some floors on large city buildings. 

Anything that helps navigation and location finding is a step forward. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

The house number, the names of the residents all seem to be the same!

All well and good, until you come to the weak link in the chain................Mr. postman.

I have lost two visa cards, and two other letters from NS&I in U.K.  in the last three months. Went to the post office who say they have not received them.

Now, I have no proof they ever got as far as my local office, but I am fairly confident they arrived in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

All well and good, until you come to the weak link in the chain................Mr. postman.

I have lost two visa cards, and two other letters from NS&I in U.K.  in the last three months. Went to the post office who say they have not received them.

Now, I have no proof they ever got as far as my local office, but I am fairly confident they arrived in Thailand.

Last Christmas I had two cards sent to me, one from UK posted late Nov
and one from Australia posted Mid Nov

both arrived together in the same afternoon delivery on January 2nd [New year] 

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with the Thai postal system. It is the hand-off to international carriers to the USA that is a problem.
Does anyone know? ... Can we get details on what carrier? I suspect the problem is at the US Customs end, but there is a lack of transparency, despite mail be sent "registered" and "priority mail."

23 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Thailand has something like that already, or at least Bangkok does. The post code 10XXX then the house code xx/xx where the first number is the block within that post code and the second is the house within that block. 

nope, Thai postcode is useless without street name, there can be same house numbers within the same postcode

the slash are just subdivision of an old bigger plot of land or a room number in a condo, you can still have duplicate of house number