Being asked to notorise a UK degree.

Deserted

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help. I have been offered a job but they will not accept my degree for the Non-b visa because it hasn't been notorized or has an apostile attached to it. But the British Embassy in Bangkok doesn't offer this service, and when I went to the ministry of foreign affairs, they said I have to go the British Embassy in London, but obviously there is no such place. Where do I have to send my document to and how do I do it? Can this all be done online?

Edited by Deserted

You have it done by Thai embassy after you have contacted the legalization department at milton keynes, it can be sent to the Thai embassy direct from Milton keynes, once you get it back, note Thais call it notarized, but in the UK it is called legalisation  

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised/apply-for-legalisation

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/81905-legalisation?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd0007344

Edited by howerde
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, howerde said:

You have it done by Thai embassy after you have contacted the legalization department at milton keynes, it can be sent to the Thai embassy direct from Milton keynes, once you get it back, note Thais call it notarized, but in the UK it is called legalisation  

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/81905-legalisation?menu=5d6636ce15e39c3bd0007344

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

@Photoguy21

A post with personal information, phone number, etc. has been removed.  Please use the PM function to pass personal information to others.  Leaving it on the open forum is an invitation for spammers and others with less than honorable intentions to use it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, howerde said:

Could you explain what you mean by the legal department in Milton Keynes, I can't find this on line.

Are you sure it has to be sent to the Thai Embassy in London?

6 hours ago, Deserted said:

Could you explain what you mean by the legal department in Milton Keynes, I can't find this on line.

Are you sure it has to be sent to the Thai Embassy in London?

http://www.legalisationoffice.org.uk/

Note this: 

Education Certificates

Please ensure that all education certificates presented for legalisation are signed, certified and dated by a UK solicitor or notary public, or by an official of the British Council. If certified by the British Council then it must be an original educational qualification certificate, please check with your local British Council first as this service is not available at all locations.

The Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes will forward the document to the Thai Embassy in London for you, although you may have to have prepaid the postage.  It too about 2 weeks for me, but I was in the UK at the time which makes it a bit easier.

Thank you for all help offered. I have made some in roads but I don't understand what the difference is between an Apostille and an e-Apostille, which are both being offered. Could someone tell me what the difference is between them (if any).

8 hours ago, Deserted said:

Thank you for all help offered. I have made some in roads but I don't understand what the difference is between an Apostille and an e-Apostille, which are both being offered. Could someone tell me what the difference is between them (if any).

No idea, but would think it's just an electronic version of an Apostille.  Not sure if it's available for UK documents or recognised by Thailand.  I would either use an Agent/Lawyer, or contact the UK Legalisation Office.  In my experience, all our teachers have had to do it via mail/an agent or in person.

Are you sure that you need an apostille? Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Apostille Convention, so apostilles are not officially accepted here. Documents have to be legalised instead, which has a similar purpose but is a slightly different process.

If it's just for local administration (for a school, for example), they might be happy to accept the apostille anyway. However, for immigration or other official government purposes, legalisation would usually be required instead.

4 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Are you sure that you need an apostille? Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Apostille Convention, so apostilles are not officially accepted here. Documents have to be legalised instead, which has a similar purpose but is a slightly different process.

If it's just for local administration (for a school, for example), they might be happy to accept the apostille anyway. However, for immigration or other official government purposes, legalisation would usually be required instead.

I'm really not sure. I did go to the foreign affairs and they said it has to be notorized by the uk embassy in Bankgok but they don't offer that service. I showed her that I got the degree notorized in London already but they didn't accept it. They saw that my Masters' degree has an apostille and said that's what you need and it has to go to the thai embassy in London also but my school is telling me that is <deleted>, so frankly I don't know what to think. I may have to go to the immigration office I have to deal with this week and ask them directly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

It's clearly explained here:

I've done it for my UK Marriage certificate and I've organised it for a number of teachers from the school where I work. It's really quite straightforward although much easier to do before you come to Thailand.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deserted said:

I'm really not sure. I did go to the foreign affairs and they said it has to be notorized by the uk embassy in Bankgok but they don't offer that service. I showed her that I got the degree notorized in London already but they didn't accept it. They saw that my Masters' degree has an apostille and said that's what you need and it has to go to the thai embassy in London also but my school is telling me that is <deleted>, so frankly I don't know what to think. I may have to go to the immigration office I have to deal with this week and ask them directly.

Then is sounds like they want Thai legalization, not simply an apostille. That usually means you have to get it legalized by the UK first (either through a notary or apostille, depending on what Thailand will accept.) That legalized document then goes to the Thai embassy in the UK, who add their own legalization certificate to it. After that, it can be used here. 

These are the typical steps for a non-Hague country. I haven't done it myself for Thailand. Also, in many countries, what the rules say should happen and what actually happens can be very different indeed. So asking immigration directly will be your best option. Good luck!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Then is sounds like they want Thai legalization, not simply an apostille. That usually means you have to get it legalized by the UK first (either through a notary or apostille, depending on what Thailand will accept.) That legalized document then goes to the Thai embassy in the UK, who add their own legalization certificate to it. After that, it can be used here. 

These are the typical steps for a non-Hague country. I haven't done it myself for Thailand. Also, in many countries, what the rules say should happen and what actually happens can be very different indeed. So asking immigration directly will be your best option. Good luck!

He needs to get it legalised in the UK by the UK Legalisation Office (as per the link I provided above) then the Thai Embassy in London certify the legalisation stamp.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

He needs to get it legalised in the UK by the UK Legalisation Office (as per the link I provided above) then the Thai Embassy in London certify the legalisation stamp.  

Could you please tell me how sure you are of this because that is what they told me at the ministry of foreign affairs. But I don't know if the Thai Embassy will accept an e-apostille or not.

Years back one of the little law offices in thailand would notorise a thai and UK copy of it. So basically just a signature from a legal person with a random stamp. Even heard of people self notorising things, "I sign this is real".

Sounds a bit absurd and in UK it means something different and this may no longer be accepted but worth a check, sometimes it is just a case of they want someone to sign it as real so they can tick a box.

51 minutes ago, Deserted said:

Could you please tell me how sure you are of this because that is what they told me at the ministry of foreign affairs. But I don't know if the Thai Embassy will accept an e-apostille or not.

I have no idea if Thailand accept an e-apostille.  I somehow doubt it.  It was all paper when I did it and when I've organised it for other people.  

17 hours ago, Slip said:

A pertinent question I think:  Exactly who will not accept your degree without notorisation?

An "Apostile" is accepted by 100 + countries.

Only the highly respected Thailand does not recognize it.

On 12/7/2022 at 3:45 PM, Deserted said:

Where do I have to send my document to and how do I do it?

You can get it stamped/legalized by the Respected Thai embassy in London -

Legalisation

1.    Applications for document legalisation should be submitted to The Consular Section, Royal Thai Embassy, 29 Queen’s Gate (Basement), London SW7 5JB. Monday – Friday from 0900 - 1200 hours. Last queuing ticket is issued at 1200 hours. 

No appointment is required. However, for your convenience of services, please kindly check the Embassy's working hours and official holidays here. 

2.    Please have the following ready:

For documents issued in the United Kingdom

Documents must be prior-certified by the Legalisation Office, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) 
Hanslope Park Hanslope Milton Keynes MK19 7BH

Tel. 03700 002244 or [email protected]

For full details about FCDO legalisation.

1.    The original document(s) to be legalised, certified by FCDO (UK)
2.    A copy of every single page including an apostille page from FCDO (UK)
3.    Legalisation application form and a copy of applicant’s passport for reference (** Non-Thai can omit this requirement)
4.    A fee of £10 per document is required (can be paid by debit card/contactless or cash)

Document Collection

Documents will be ready to collect after 2 working days (up to 10 documents / 2-3 working days, more than 10 documents / 4-5 working days).

Collection hours: Monday - Friday from 0900 - 1200 hours at the counter service, Basement floor. A queuing ticket is required for the counter service.

For the application by post, tracking your application can be done only by email after 10 working days since the Consular Section receive the application with a proper postal reference number. For non-registered post, tracking can be also done but the Embassy is not liable for lost or damaged item.

** Postal service may be considered on a case-by-case basis with the postal return service organised by the applicants at their own responsibility

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

It is not 'only' Thailand by any means, Canada and Qatar are two more off the top of my head, and Singapore only signed up last year.

4 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Thanks for that info Dr Joy.  While not something I knew about, I'm not surprised by our hosts being a bit behind the curve on this or anything else.  That was kind of my point too about exactly who is asking.  The OP may think that he has to get this, but when it comes down to it, perhaps he has already been misguided.  Both the Dept of Education and TCT have wanted me to show proof of degree, but I have never been asked for this in all my dealings as a teacher over 20 years.  

13 hours ago, Slip said:

Thanks for that info Dr Joy.  While not something I knew about, I'm not surprised by our hosts being a bit behind the curve on this or anything else.  That was kind of my point too about exactly who is asking.  The OP may think that he has to get this, but when it comes down to it, perhaps he has already been misguided.  Both the Dept of Education and TCT have wanted me to show proof of degree, but I have never been asked for this in all my dealings as a teacher over 20 years.  

It's a fairly new requirement as previously Thailand accepted the official university transcripts.  The British Embassy can no longer officially legalise documents, as a centralised body has now been set up in the UK to do this. 

• Thanks 1

It should be a damn site easier than what it is, as some people have posted it looks like documents have to go back to the uk, then when they come back I have to send them off to the thai embassy in london. Awaiting confirmation. It would appear much depends on which province you are in with Bangkok being the strictest it seems.