Marriage Visa Requirements if divorced and want to marry a Thai National

Hi everyone, So I recently got divorced and will be coming to Thailand in January. I will be marrying my Thai girlfriend and wish to know if I can use my Final Decree of Divorce paper as proof that I'm single and eligible to marry. Or would I also require to produce the Letter of No Impediment?

All advice appreciated.

• Like 1

Before registering your marriage you will need to get affirmation of permit to marry at your embassy. Your embassy will be the only place you might have to show you divorce proof.

After registering you marriage immigration will only require your marriage corticate (Kor Ror 3 ) and the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry you will get when your register your marriage at a Amphoe.

Edit: You can find a lot info for registering your marriage on the Marriage and Divorce forum.

https://aseannow.com/forum/164-marriage-and-divorce/

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Before registering your marriage you will need to get affirmation of permit to marry at your embassy. Your embassy will be the only place you might have to show you divorce proof.

After registering you marriage immigration will only require your marriage corticate (Kor Ror 3 ) and the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry you will get when your register your marriage at a Amphoe.

Edit: You can find a lot info for registering your marriage on the Marriage and Divorce forum.

https://aseannow.com/forum/164-marriage-and-divorce/

ubonjoe, thank you very much for your reply. I will check with my embassy then. Thanks again.

• Thumbs Up 1

You will need the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry document as mentioned by Joe above and you will also need a certified copy of your passport.  Those documents will both need to be translated and the translations certified by th MFA in Thailand. Most of the translation agencies provide a service where they will take the translations to the MFA for you - you just pick them up a few days later.

I can't speak for other countries but if you are British - you can only get an Affirmation at the British Embassy Bangkok - ignore stories that state you can get them in your home country - you can't.

Be aware that many Thai Amphur's now operate an appointment system for marriage registrations that include a foreigner.

Good info here:

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/thailand/opposite_sex

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1