Jump to content

Does Thai car insurance normally cover any driver?


LBrew
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a friend who's driving her dad's (new) car and is not named on the policy. She thinks it's fine because she has a licence. Over in the UK it doesn't normally work like that, but maybe it does in Thailand. Can anyone confirm?

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LBrew said:

 

I have a friend who's driving her dad's (new) car and is not named on the policy. She thinks it's fine because she has a licence. Over in the UK it doesn't normally work like that, but maybe it does in Thailand. Can anyone confirm?

 

For the compulsory insurance (only covers injuries to 3rd party and is a limited amount) she is covered if the car is taxed. For the insurance that covers everything else read the policy, maybe no, maybe yes, and the damage maybe covered or not depending on the policy.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Named driver policies usually still cover any driver, but in case of an accident you have to pay a ṕenalty of a few thousand baht fine if it's not the named driver.

To be sure just check the insurance policy or contact the insurer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding has always been, the car is insured, not the driver.  

This came up a few years ago with my car. I was returning to the UK for a while to clear up a few loose ends, and the wife asked if her brother could use the car while I was away. Having checked with the insurance company they assured me the car was covered and anyone can drive it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others said, most Thai vehicle insurance covers the vehicle, not the driver, unless the person getting the policy opted otherwise (in which case a named driver will show on the policy)

 

Of course this only applies to drivers with a valid license

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With govt CTPL compulsory she is insured DL or no DL. 

If the vehicle has a voluntary company insurance there are many options so as said best check with the insurance if your worried about the fathers car. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, LBrew said:

I have a friend who's driving her dad's (new) car and is not named on the policy.

Some Thai insurance companies gives a discount on the extended insurance – the one beyond the mandatory liability insurance – if the insurance policy is limited to named drivers. Perhaps the extended insurance don't cover if another person than the named driver is driving the car. I was offered that kind of discount that could include two names. but decided to pay little more for any driver, in case someone else than my girlfriend and me should drive my car.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife who is stubborn on some things never would get a drivers license and got in single car accident 

with a elctic pole laying on ground to prevent driving in the creek. I was away on a business trip. Car 

insurance paid nothing and it was 130,000 baht with discount huh to have it repaired and probably 6 months. .. I’ve given up how she hit 3 corners of the car.. only front left untouched… 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Wife who is stubborn on some things never would get a drivers license and got in single car accident 

with a elctic pole laying on ground to prevent driving in the creek. I was away on a business trip. Car 

insurance paid nothing and it was 130,000 baht with discount huh to have it repaired and probably 6 months. .. I’ve given up how she hit 3 corners of the car.. only front left untouched… 

Thanks for your honesty. May it serve as a warning to others. My Mrs recently agreed to obtain a motor car driving licence. However, she doesn't feel there is any need to obtain one for riding her moto's (we have several which are shared by family). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Some Thai insurance companies gives a discount on the extended insurance – the one beyond the mandatory liability insurance – if the insurance policy is limited to named drivers. Perhaps the extended insurance don't cover if another person than the named driver is driving the car. I was offered that kind of discount that could include two names. but decided to pay little more for any driver, in case someone else than my girlfriend and me should drive my car.

Good advice thank you. Something to think about. My Mrs lends her Pajero to her son and his wife for long distance trips because they only have an old pick-up. I very much doubt they have other than the basic insurance (if that).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...