Does Thai car insurance normally cover any driver?

LBrew

I have a friend who's driving her dad's (new) car and is not named on the policy. She thinks it's fine because she has a licence. Over in the UK it doesn't normally work like that, but maybe it does in Thailand. Can anyone confirm?

7 hours ago, LBrew said:

I have a friend who's driving her dad's (new) car and is not named on the policy. She thinks it's fine because she has a licence. Over in the UK it doesn't normally work like that, but maybe it does in Thailand. Can anyone confirm?

For the compulsory insurance (only covers injuries to 3rd party and is a limited amount) she is covered if the car is taxed. For the insurance that covers everything else read the policy, maybe no, maybe yes, and the damage maybe covered or not depending on the policy.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

My understanding has always been, the car is insured, not the driver.  

This came up a few years ago with my car. I was returning to the UK for a while to clear up a few loose ends, and the wife asked if her brother could use the car while I was away. Having checked with the insurance company they assured me the car was covered and anyone can drive it.

As others said, most Thai vehicle insurance covers the vehicle, not the driver, unless the person getting the policy opted otherwise (in which case a named driver will show on the policy)

Of course this only applies to drivers with a valid license

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, LBrew said:

I have a friend who's driving her dad's (new) car and is not named on the policy.

Some Thai insurance companies gives a discount on the extended insurance – the one beyond the mandatory liability insurance – if the insurance policy is limited to named drivers. Perhaps the extended insurance don't cover if another person than the named driver is driving the car. I was offered that kind of discount that could include two names. but decided to pay little more for any driver, in case someone else than my girlfriend and me should drive my car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife who is stubborn on some things never would get a drivers license and got in single car accident 

with a elctic pole laying on ground to prevent driving in the creek. I was away on a business trip. Car 

insurance paid nothing and it was 130,000 baht with discount huh to have it repaired and probably 6 months. .. I’ve given up how she hit 3 corners of the car.. only front left untouched… 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Wife who is stubborn on some things never would get a drivers license and got in single car accident 

with a elctic pole laying on ground to prevent driving in the creek. I was away on a business trip. Car 

insurance paid nothing and it was 130,000 baht with discount huh to have it repaired and probably 6 months. .. I’ve given up how she hit 3 corners of the car.. only front left untouched… 

Thanks for your honesty. May it serve as a warning to others. My Mrs recently agreed to obtain a motor car driving licence. However, she doesn't feel there is any need to obtain one for riding her moto's (we have several which are shared by family). 

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Some Thai insurance companies gives a discount on the extended insurance – the one beyond the mandatory liability insurance – if the insurance policy is limited to named drivers. Perhaps the extended insurance don't cover if another person than the named driver is driving the car. I was offered that kind of discount that could include two names. but decided to pay little more for any driver, in case someone else than my girlfriend and me should drive my car.

Good advice thank you. Something to think about. My Mrs lends her Pajero to her son and his wife for long distance trips because they only have an old pick-up. I very much doubt they have other than the basic insurance (if that).

• Like 1