Bank and passport check

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

2. For Customer with no Work Permit but possessing a visa for longterm
stay:
You can bring your passport to branch but please make sure your visa is a type that
allow for minimum stay of 9 months.

So customers on annual extensions would presumably only be able to conduct in-branch business at the particular bank in question during an initial 3-month period of each extension!

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

Is there perhaps some misunderstanding? Obviously, WU had to ask for your passport for identification, but did they in addition ask you to point to the page showing your current permission to stay?

Correct: they always ask for the passport to check the personal data. But this time they asked me to point also  where the permission of stay was. And they just take a copy of my personal data, that I signed.

32 minutes ago, Mino said:

The point is that when I handle the passport, he asked to show him where was the visa stamp.

That never happened before. In the past just a copy of my data.

I questioned my branch on this point, would you even know what a current visa looked like. They replied yes, I said show me, they did, game over.

I wrote to my bank CEO to ask what bank policy is on this point but he didn't reply. I posted the experience here but some knob told me off for wasting his time and that of hardworking branch staff. Hard working branch staff my appendage, most of them don't know the difference between a debit and a credit.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In all the years I've banked here I've never had a bank employee check my visa (status) let alone pass some judgement about whether I can complete a transaction. I don't see how a bank can deny access to your funds unless it is to ask you to close the account. Even 2010 backward while on TRs never happened. While I'm sure they could read non-o I doubt any really understand what the visa classes are about and fewer care. Just deposited 300k this week in dead center BKK, huge, busy branch. Did not even photocopy just wrote my pp# on the wd slip.

EDIT

Maybe this is a Pattaya thing? Cops in cahoots with bank to not enable overstates???? Still, I don't see how nor do I see a bank employee wanting to get in between you and your (money) lifeblood.

Edited by Posideon
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, humbug said:

This is why I stopped going into the bank branches if possible. this new habit of requesting visa status has been on the uptick last few years, surprise surprise with the paranoid men in green in charge

Some would just not tell you and go in the back photo copy the ID passport page, and some then take longer looking for the last extension date to photo copy

When they came with two copies, I take or ask for the extension copy and rip it up in front of them and tell them the ID copy is all they need

The last time it happened, the girl in the foor frame, didn't come back to her seat, but instead called a colleague over, guess what she did? she found an old extension which was out of date/overstay, inmediatley I sensed the low IQ screw up, and took the passport of her, opened the page with the correct and up to date extension date, and made sure she new she messed up in front of everyone, when she called the manager on the phone to cover her tracks, he the managers raised his voice at her, and made her complete the transaction

Her other colleague tried to explain that there is no actual rule, yes no legal bank rule to request your extension or visa dates, just up to the cashier, no way, who the hell wants a low IQ anti-foreigner cashier photo copying the wrong extesion dates without you knowing and passing the documents on to the head office

All they need us the passport id page to match the same id info and signature, thats it

You are wrong on this point, go ask your bank and get back to us.

Edited by nigelforbes

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

You are wrong on this point

Excuse but if that was my experience, who the hell are you to say its wrong, re-read where i explain the bank colleague told me ' no actual bank rule' up to the cashier, and it was B Bank, mall Bang kapi on the outside, so instead of trying to misdirect genuine info, you try to control it without any knowledge if the incident

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Posideon said:

In all the years I've banked here I've never had a bank employee check my visa (status) let alone pass some judgement about whether I can complete a transaction. I don't see how a bank can deny access to your funds unless it is to ask you to close the account. Even 2010 backward while on TRs never happened. While I'm sure they could read non-o I doubt any really understand what the visa classes are about and fewer care. Just deposited 300k this week in dead center BKK, huge, busy branch. Did not even photocopy just wrote my pp# on the wd slip.

No one is saying all the banks, the bank I mention is so far up the men in greens trousers, it's no surprise they try it on in this way, without any legal bank requirements to do so, that's why it's'up to the cashier'

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, humbug said:

No one is saying all the banks, the bank I mention is so far up the men in greens trousers, it's no surprise they try it on in this way, without any legal bank requirements to do so, that's why it's'up to the cashier'

Then you need to see the manager immediately even on overstay or whatever. #2 stop going to that branch as they have some seriously deluded bank tellers.

I have one BKK bank branch that gives me grief. It really boils down to them being terrified of speaking English I think although they've done some inexcusably rude things to me as well like taking a Thai before me with no number while my number was next. I was pretty hot and when they saw I understood what they just did they sorted me pronto.

Same bank I saw some guy wheel in a suitcase with 8M cash. Nothing to see here...move along ????

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Posideon said:

EDIT

Maybe this is a Pattaya thing? Cops in cahoots with bank to not enable overstates???? Still, I don't see how nor do I see a bank employee wanting to get in between you and your (money) lifeblood.

The point is, when it happens mostly they don't say, just go in the back and photo copy the pages, without you knowing, I just used to watch them come back snd see what they copied to know they were doing it, it's doesn't mean every bank employee, but there are many more doing than before the men in green, and then maybe some of the more nationalist banks like mine begins with a large B, if other people are saying it happens, then there are making people aware

Just now, humbug said:

The point is, when it happens mostly they don't say, just go in the back and photo copy the pages, without you knowing, I just used to watch them come back snd see what they copied to know they were doing it, it's doesn't mean every bank employee, but there are many more doing than before the men in green, and then maybe some of the more nationalist banks like mine begins with a large B, if other people are saying it happens, then there are making people aware

Well, of course they can copy whatever in the back and what does it matter? Now, if you are on overstay and they alert the cops == yeah, that's a problem but you wouldn't know until they were at your door.

I actually could see that. Some bank-cop deal a bounty for overstayers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Posideon said:

Then you need to see the manager immediately even on overstay or whatever. #2 stop going to that branch as they have some seriously deluded bank tellers.

I have one BKK bank branch that gives me grief. It really boils down to them being terrified of speaking English I think although they've done some inexcusably rude things to me as well like taking a Thai before me with no number while my number was next. I was pretty hot and when they saw I understood what they just did they sorted me pronto.

Same bank I saw some guy wheel in a suitcase with 8M cash. Nothing to see here...move along ????

Did you read my post, it mentions everything I did, including the manager etc etc

and who cares about amount of cash, the numbers or notes of someones transaction has nothing to do with this topic

this topic by the poster is to make people aware, as most won't know what they copy in the back room from your passport, that's the point

Just now, humbug said:

Did you read my post, it mentions everything I did, including the manager etc etc

and who cares about amount of cash

Well, front up and withdrawal 500b and see if you get the same grief. I'm doubting it. Tell them you forgot your pp. Bet they process the WD.

2 minutes ago, Posideon said:

Well, of course they can copy whatever in the back and what does it matter? Now, if you are on overstay and they alert the cops == yeah, that's a problem but you wouldn't know until they were at your door.

I actually could see that. Some bank-cop deal a bounty for overstayers.

No, you trying to see in a completely different way, which is mis-directing people on this thread, no doubt scams happen at banks, but this isn't a scam, it's just giving low level cashiers who are more anti an excuse to copy more info than they are legally entitled too, as the bank admitted there was no rule to copy a visa page, and let the cashier decide, when some cashiers won't bother, it's just the extension of anti-foreign sentiment promoted by this men in green regime, same with some thais walking past a foreigner will quickky put on their face mask

Not all cashiers will do it, some won't care, those that do, won't tell you, just copy the page without you knowing, point is, it's dangerous as these cashiers can barely be trusted to work in a bank let a lone know which is the correct extension date to find

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, humbug said:

Excuse but if that was my experience, who the hell are you to say its wrong, re-read where i explain the bank colleague told me ' no actual bank rule' up to the cashier, and it was B Bank, mall Bang kapi on the outside, so instead of trying to misdirect genuine info, you try to control it without any knowledge if the incident

You know full well what's being said. As if it would be up to the cashier whether or not to check the visa expiration date, that's so laughable as to be unfunny.

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You know full well what's being said. As if it would be up to the cashier whether or not to check the visa expiration date, that's so laughable as to be unfunny.

Oh dear! we have quite a few trolls on this thread trying to mis-direct and claim everything is false, the only funny thing is you keep wasting your time, trying to mis-direct this thread, and somehow hold up the thai banking system and cashiers as exemplary staff that will always think of the customer first, and would never get involved in anti-foreign sentiment pushed by nationlist bank owners and an anti-western men in green regime

Just now, humbug said:

Oh dear! we have quite a few trolls on this thread trying to mis-direct and claim everything is false, the only funny thing is you keep wasting your time, trying to mis-direct this thread, and somehow hold up the thai banking system and cashiers as exemplary staff that will always think of the customer first, and would never get involved in anti-foreign sentiment pushed by nationlist bank owners and an anti-western men in green regime

You need to re read the posts, either that or take a nice lay down in a darkened room.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Every "bad guy" makes enough money to obtain any kind of visa, the most bad guys can pay Elite Visa from their pocket change. If you follow no morals or ethics it is super easy to make money in our world.

That's right.

Good guys are those who can afford spending ฿฿฿ easily without a blink (no need land border cross). it has nothing to do with their background. 
Bad guys are those who are not able to spend easily, low budget or in financial trouble (often cross land borders).
Now you figure. 

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

So customers on annual extensions would presumably only be able to conduct in-branch business at the particular bank in question during an initial 3-month period of each extension!

I didn't post the whole email only the part that pointed out the requirements and referred to checking passports.

The email in fact had nothing to do with "in branch business", if I hadn't updated my information by the date specified I would have lost the use of online banking, not the account. Other than for immigration, I haven't done any branch business since 2009.

What they were concerned about was my address, it hadn't changed since 1999 and was still "Room 235 Apex Hotel", how times have changed.

KYC - Know Your Customer rules are tightening in every financial institution. In Thailand there has likely been a rise in foreigner account opening with the large influx of Russians on tourist type visas, Chinese educational dodgy visas and so on. I daresay some banks have directed staff to check passports and visas for all in branch transactions, but this is Thailand and we know nothing is uniform, or even the same the next day.