American, living in Phan Don / Kumphawapi, starved for English conversation!

Pawpcorn

Hi! I`m a 73yo retired expat from California... came to TH in 2006, lived in BKK 11 years, but then, after retiring, we moved to Phan Don, so my boyfriend of 17 years could be close to his sprawling family, nearby.

We`re both very happy here, but like the subject says... I`m frankly starved for being able to have English conversation up here in rural Issan.

Phan Don is 6km from Kumphawapi (IE conveniently close by) but 38km south of Udon Thani, altho that`s only an 8 Baht train ride away...

So! If anyone`s in the neighborhood, similarly wishing for an occasional conversation (like over a cup of Amazon coffee), please send me a PM?

Only "disqualifiers" would be MAGAs and fervent gun enthusiasts.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Regards,

Pawpcorn

Gun enthusiast, although, does that count if I can't own one here.  Not sure how guns would even come up in a conversation here.

I find if I don't talk politics (boring, never comes up here) & religion (nobody does here), I can have a conversation with anyone.  

But Amazon coffee ... your on your own ... ????

There's a local-ish forum, UdonMap, and I know there's a few that used to live down there, years ago.  Might try joining that and see who is local & like minded.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Hello Pawpcorn… Phan Don must be near the train station…. We’re 25 km the other side of Kumphawapi I don’t get in town much and not much of a conversationalist… lived in California LA/OC  via Miami 51 years then 10 in China and now 7 years here in the countryside … and enjoy the slower pace…

enjoy the weather it’s getting nice and cool now.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Gun enthusiast, although, does that count if I can't own one here.  Not sure how guns would even come up in a conversation here.

I find if I don't talk politics (boring, never comes up here) & religion (nobody does here), I can have a conversation with anyone.  

But Amazon coffee ... your on your own ... ????

There's a local-ish forum, UdonMap, and I know there's a few that used to live down there, years ago.  Might try joining that and see who is local & like minded.

Hi, KhunLA, thanks for the reply back; much appreciated!

I only mentioned "gun enthusiast" as saying I'd have a tough time if mass shootings in the US happened to come up in conversation, with the strong opinion coming back that "All we need is MORE GUNS as a solution..." {head explodes at that point}.

Not sure if you're familiar with the Phan Don / Kumphawapi area(?), but in this area there's only ONE coffeeshop in both communities (no Starbucks), which is why I suggested Amazon... but then I make a mean cup of Java at my home, with freshly ground dark roasted Thai beans...

Thanks for the suggestion about UdonMap site/forum; I may give that a try too!

Take care,
Pawpcorn

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Hello Pawpcorn… Phan Don must be near the train station…. We’re 25 km the other side of Kumphawapi I don’t get in town much and not much of a conversationalist… lived in California LA/OC  via Miami 51 years then 10 in China and now 7 years here in the countryside … and enjoy the slower pace…

enjoy the weather it’s getting nice and cool now.. 

Hi, DJ54, thanks for replying back!

YES, we're quite close to the "Kumphawapi Train Station" in Phan Don, it's like about 2km away from our house...

I'm guessing perhaps you are close to the town of "SeeThat" (?) (lol) but I'm painfully ignorant of the communities beyond Kumphawapi, so I plead ignorance, altho my better half is quite familiar with your area, most likely.

I wouldn't profess myself as being anything along the lines of a "conversationalist" but I'd certainly be happy just being able to have a simple chat with you, next time you came to Kumphawapi, if you'd like? If you gave me a day's notice ahead of time, I'd be able to secure the way and means to meet you at your convenience; I'd really like that. You can send me a PM on Aseannow, and I'll also PM you with my phone number, to assist.

I'm enjoying the cooler weather also; I always look forward to this time of year, myself. ????

Take care,

Pawpcorn

I would suggest setting up a DUO app on your smartphone, it is tied in to the email address. Then invite others you know to do the same.

DUO is far more reliable than LINE when it comes to conversations outside Thailand.

• Like 1

Hey Pawpcorn! Sounds like you're really missing some good old English conversation up there in rural Issan. Don't worry, you're not alone! I'm sure there are plenty of other expats out there who would love to chat over a cup of Amazon coffee. And don't worry about the disqualifiers, we can just avoid talking politics and guns altogether. Let's just focus on enjoying each other's company and catching up on our favorite TV shows and movies. Cheers!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pawpcorn said:

Not sure if you're familiar with the Phan Don / Kumphawapi area(?), but in this area there's only ONE coffeeshop in both communities (no Starbucks), which is why I suggested Amazon... but then I make a mean cup of Java at my home, with freshly ground dark roasted Thai beans...

Thanks for the suggestion about UdonMap site/forum; I may give that a try too!

Take care,
Pawpcorn

Lived just outside Udon Thani. 15 ish kms (BanTad & Ban Nong Kae) for 16 ish years.   Though do have to plead ignorance on your area.  Been down there a few times, but nothing of interest to encourage more exploring of the area.

Be Safe

• Love It 1

I'm very sorry for "ghosting" my OP topic this past week....!!!

RIGHT AFTER POSTING, I came down with my second occasion of COVID for 2022, and I was quite miserable for the entire week!
(had 2 Moderna and 2 Pfizer vaccinations, previously)

THIS TIME, I can "blame" my boyfriend for the infection... he clearly had the symptoms, but he denied, denied, and denied he had Covid, until I FINALLY got him to go buy a frigging test, and of course, a big ol' RED LINE on Covid appeared. I WILL say his denials and obstructions were quite creative LOL, but just evasive and inane, in reality.

I tested red-line too, after about 3 days of being sick as a dog, with the same exact symptoms I had had the first time. Oddly enough (TIT) he questioned repeatedly HOW and WHY I thought I had Covid, and I had to twist his arm to buy me another Covid Test Kit, for the positive test.

"Repeat after me: 'You were RIGHT, and I should have listened to you, and trusted your judgement!' "   [this until the next time 555]

Take care all,

Pawpcorn

• Like 1