One Bad Hair Cut After Another...

SiamSquare123

I dont really get why, but I have had 20 bad hair cuts in Thailand and zero good hair cuts. I have always gone to places in the 300-400 baht range - so maybe I need to go to somewhere more expensive?

Are there any good places to get a hair cut in the Nana area that might be used to cutting farang hair? Can you recommend a specific barber/salonist?

Thanks, I am really getting tired of having to wait to go to HK or Singapore to not look like a fool with a lop-sided hair.

I finally found someone who put ads in a farang newpaper saying he was great at doing farang hair and color, because he had lived in NZ for a year or two, and he does almost all farangs in CM at pretty much farang prices. 3000 baht for a color weave for example, but at least he doesn't turn blonde hair orange, or you don't walk out looking exactly the same. However I have been growing my hair longer, and haven't trusted him with much cutting, and found he still can't really cut my very thick hair, just straight, has to put a bunch of flakey layers in the bottom edge which makes my hair more curly and wavey from humidity. I am almost thinking I need to plan a trip to get a good haircut to a farang country, because I have had my hair screwed up many times since I have been here, trying to grow out the layers, only to have more and more put in.

Edited by MTW

. I am almost thinking I need to plan a trip to get a good haircut to a farang country, because I have had my hair screwed up many times since I have been here, trying to grow out the layers, only to have more and more put in.

My hair used to be cut by an excellent hairdresser beside the traffic lights in Central Pattaya Land.

The only problem was that she was visually challenged,as cross eyed as a door post.

However,it was only a short walk to the strip,to have a beer !

:o Wiley Coyote

If your name is an indication of where you are looking for a haircut,

I suggest you get out into the more local areas.

There are many skilled barbers out there, more than able to take

care of a man's hair.

Good luck on that quest SiamSquare. Alternatively could try the DIY route. Suggested methods include; short: buzz cut with your own clippers, Med: big bowl and friend cuts around it, Long: ala hippy style. :o From what i gather of thai hairdressers those suggestions may just come in handy!

When i lived in Bangkok i always went to Seacon Square for my haircut. The hairdresser is on the top floor near the food court. The Salon name is Ritzy cut. It's the 'guy' that does a good job. I'm not sure if he's a kathoey or just extremly gay but at least it makes him easy to spot!

Well the last time I was in BKK I was directed to a barber, who apparently is very popular with farangs, in Washington Square. I had never seen one there and was somewhat dubious, but there again I guess I've never looked for one there before. :o

Anyway, I found it easy enough; go past the Mambo theatre towards Soi 22, turn left and it's on that block, before the 2 or 3 bars that are there. (Happy Bar?)

I went in very tentatively, and was met by a group of friendly women 'barbers'. The price I was told was 150 Baht, plus another 90 Baht for a wash and blow dry.

I was led to very well equipped,air conditioned, private cubicle and I reckon I had the best haircut I have ever had in 30 plus years in Thailand. She really knew what she was doing, and gave me a wonderful 'cut throat razor' shave at no extra cost.

I shall definitely be returning, and suggest you give it a try.

I dont really get why, but I have had 20 bad hair cuts in Thailand and zero good hair cuts. I have always gone to places in the 300-400 baht range - so maybe I need to go to somewhere more expensive?

Are there any good places to get a hair cut in the Nana area that might be used to cutting farang hair? Can you recommend a specific barber/salonist?

Thanks, I am really getting tired of having to wait to go to HK or Singapore to not look like a fool with a lop-sided hair.

The short answer is no. Since the person who cuts tour haie already knows everything they cannot improve to farang standards.

Best course of action is o always get the cheapest because the quality will always be poor. I go for the 50 baht No. 4 buzz cut special and less if I can find it.

Can anyone in LOS cut hair? YES they can!

When I landed in LOS, I thought I'd come to Haircut Heaven: Thirty-baht for a barber to spend 1/2 hour carefully coiffing my golden locks, then trims the unruly hairs from my nose and ears, gives a careful shave around the ears and back hairline with his straight razor (preceded by hot lather), followed by a shoulder and back rub that leaves me limp as a jelly fish.

Makes me feel so guilty I always toss in an extra 10-baht tip. And the best part, when I go back to work, all the comments: "Oh Farang, You so Handsome!"

Can't match that anywhere in MY home country! :o

The dude in the ground floor or basement of the Landmark hotel does an excellent job with my cutting my hair. A good barber.

For some reason I think he is gay;;but, doesn't matter. I always leave there feeling like I got a great cut that lasts for 3-4 weeks.

I travel alot and really hate getting bad haircuts and paying out the nose for it.

The dude at the landmark makes you feel like you could spend $100 and feel good about it.

ratchada soi 3 by the chinese embassy got some decent cuts fro 50 baht. Then got a laugher my 3rd time. 50 baht roulette!

Siam Square soi 5, on the same side as the bangkok bank, I cut my hair with that guy named Chalee 4 years already. It cost me 250 baht I leave him tip of 50 every time cause I'm really happy with his work. Donno about other barbers in the same shop, send me a PM if you want his phone number to make a appointment.

A Thai hairdresser once told me that Farang hair and Thai hair are grown differently.

I always took it then that one can cut real well on a Thai head, but poorly on a farang head. This thread confirms my belief!

Some postings above discussed good haircuts by gays. For some reasons, it seems that some gay men are very good at haircuts, dressmaking and other artistic things - as compared to a straight man.

Probably someone who had been trained in hair-cutting by a chain like "Supercut" in the US would have a thriving business in Thailand!

Soi 8. First barbershop on the right hand side, about 20m in, on the corner of a little sub soi.

The signage is poor, but if you look through the plate glass windows you'll see old school barber chairs in there.

They've become a little whorish, with stupid bints offering massages etc., just tell them you want a haircut and a dour Chinese dude will come out from the back and give you a decent one.

Of course under no circumstances let one of the prostitutes cut your hair. I don't think they're there for that, but you never how things change around Nana.

Edited by john_bkk919

my bf gets his haircut everytime he's in bangkok and has tried the following salons (with his comments):

-Shisheido Emporium - (ok)

-Bangkok Salon at Emporium - (ok)

-Shisheido at Siam Paragon with stylist "Joe" - (best) -Personally, I and my (western)girl friends love him too, he does the best haircut IMO and speaks perfect

English.

-Chalachol at Thonglo - (not satisfied and stylist speak fair English only)

Asian people have genetically stronger hair with circular shafts, also I noticed Thai can explain at some length :o what exactly they want a barber to do (same as with ordering their food) so I think farangs, in most cases) are at a double disadvantage to begin with(hair quality/communication) If you dont/cant tell what you want you can get a few nasty surprises. I'm well served at Moga Paragon/Emporium/Isetan, it's expensive but it looks good. If you have thin or thinning hair it's better to have it cut with scissors instead of having sides back and neck buzzed of by a clipper (sp?).

I let my wife cut my hair once a month. She seems to like doing it.

Haven't had a decent cut in years & more often than not end up with holes & bumps! :D

Saves 30B a pop at the local barber, who, the first time I tried managed to cut my ear with the razor. :o

Soundman.

I always go to Toni & Guy in Siam Discovery. They do a very good job, the stylists are flown to London to get trained. Depending on which level of stylist you choose you can pay from 800 up to a few thousand, I pay a grand for a girl called "Lucky" and she is great.

I clip my own hair and have done so since I was forced into that situation in Vietnam when the options were rusty old hedge clipper things !

Once or twice a week, zero baht.

very sad. I hope you can find a way back to civilization. semoga suksex

I always go to Toni & Guy in Siam Discovery. They do a very good job, the stylists are flown to London to get trained. Depending on which level of stylist you choose you can pay from 800 up to a few thousand, I pay a grand for a girl called "Lucky" and she is great.

That gal is definitely LUCKY I guess :o

my bf gets his haircut everytime he's in bangkok and has tried the following salons (with his comments):

-Shisheido Emporium - (ok)

-Bangkok Salon at Emporium - (ok)

-Shisheido at Siam Paragon with stylist "Joe" - (best) -Personally, I and my (western)girl friends love him too, he does the best haircut IMO and speaks perfect

English.

-Chalachol at Thonglo - (not satisfied and stylist speak fair English only)

Over the last 4 years I've tried several of the "better" hairdressers in Bangkok with no good stories to tell. Maybe for the simple trim they're ok, but try getting a decent style, new style or colouring and I've had some nightmares. All in Emporium - rubbish, Chalachol in Siam Centre - rubbish, Central Chidlom - average, Erawan - not much good, and lastly and most recently the German one in Central World (Tom & Co) who coloured my hair the wrong colour in the wrong way. Even when things were explained clearly to managers who spoke fluent English, the staff would misunderstand and mess up.

So far I've found it impossible to get a new decent haircut in Bangkok, but my worst ever was in Bali: I couldn't pull for weeks after that one.

I have experimented at the moderate price end of the trade in Pattaya and Bangkok. I have pretty much given up on getting an excellent and/or stylish haircut. I have learned to be satisfied with the not ridiculous. It would be OK if all you wanted was a trim for the rest of your life. I have tried Thai hair cutters who are clearly talented with Thais. With me, they just seem to have one (dreary and conservative) cut idea for me so it doesn't really matter what I might ask for. Also, as soon as I find a cutter who I can barely live with, they seem to close shop with no warning.

One other tendency I have noticed is a great fear of trying anything interesting, especially if a first time client. Also a tendency to want to only trim even if more is asked for. I have also tried to ask both new cutters and old to try out a new style that they would suggest for me. Doesn't help. Bottom line, a lack of confidence and maybe a fear of doing anything more than the basic.

I would have to say don't move to Thailand for the wine, or the haircuts.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm disappointed,

You are all lucky to have hair........I would love to have the opportunity to complain about a poor haircut.

Alas, i cannot. Consider yourselves lucky that God blessed you with a full head of hair.

Hopefully I'm not the only baldy out there.

BTW- anyone know of a good wig store??? 555

:o:D:D

it took me 4 years of bad hair cuts in LOS (paying from 30 baht to 30$) to finally find a barber that could cut my hair

it doesnt have to do with how much you pay - its finding a thai person who understands that a falangs hair is different and grows different and they will pay attention to get it right (good luck ir took me 4 years)

so i finally found my barber last year - he is somewhat enlightened- he cuts my hair perfectly without a word, a shave and head massage for 50 baht. the catch is that i have to get there early in the day before he gets too drunk...