Surin- Advice please on the best place to see the elephants.

Scouse123

Guys,

As mentioned previously in another thread, my family is coming next year as a small group of three people and they are keen to see the elephants in Surin.

We are going from Kalasin to Surin and then cross the border on our way to Siem Reap.

I have been through Surin on a number of occasions but always passing through except once to a restaurant with Thai friends.

The question is for any Surin residents or people knowledgeable of the area, where is the best place to see the elephants either in natural surroundings or a sanctuary ?

We are also looking for a hotel for the night before we cross the border, so any recommendations would be appreciated, preferably not far from where we would see the Elephants.

Thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Thanks,

But that's no good as we are heading straight over the border in Surin after one night to continue an Asian tour of three countries.

North of surin on the buriram border is the elephant village.  I have not been for a few years but they had plenty of elephants the last time I went.

They have a educational part with shows, the elephant paint and play football. You can feed them. If you are in a car drive through the back they have some massive male elephants. If you time it right some times they have elephants loose down by the river. 

The only thing I would say is when I took family they were shocked that the elephants were chained up. I don't think people understand how dangerous elephants are especially the bull's and mothers when they have young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Indeed - Elephant village.

Or Surin elephant festival, depending on the time of Year.

Or the 2283 off the 214 from Surin - a couple of km before Chong Chom border, which is probably where you'll cross for Siem Reap.

The 2283, between Khok Sai school and Sangkha usually has 3 donation points for adopted elephants - you can meet and feed on the roadside.

• Like 1