2022 ushered in a new dawn in Thai-Saudi relations

webfact

image.jpeg

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman greeted by Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha as he arrives at Suvarnabhumi International Airport airport near Bangkok to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in November 2022. (Photo by Handout / Thai Government / AFP)

One of the biggest foreign policy successes of the year for Thailand was the normalization of relations with Saudi Arabia, ending three decades of coldness. 

The new bonhomie was marked by the visit to Thailand of Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud (MBS) during the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in November. The two sides signed five pacts to promote cooperation in various fields during MBS’ visit.

The two countries began the normalization of bilateral ties this year when Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha made a ground-breaking trip to Riyadh on January 25-26, the highest-level visit by either side.

Relations soured in 1989 following a jewellery heist by a Thai worker from Riyadh Palace and the subsequent murder of Saudi diplomats in Bangkok.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2022-ushered-in-a-new-dawn-in-thai-saudi-relations/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-12-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Yep! That Japanese mustard is a real mouth burner.

Some tedious pedant will be along soon to tell you that Wasabi, the "sauce" of your joke, is radish.......not mustard.

But it was funny.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mrfill said:

... but only one has reporters who he doesn't like as they report the truth, chopped up while alive...

Well not maybe chopped up alive but if I not remember wrong I think 8 young activist have gone missing here and I don't think you will find them alive again eighter.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

One of the biggest foreign policy successes of the year for Thailand was the normalization of relations with Saudi Arabia, ending three decades of coldness

Post photo of Prayut checking his amulets are still in place?

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Now where are those jewels you promised to give me back?

I haven't come all this way for nothing.

Prayuth made the long trip to Saudi Arabia last January. He had to bring a 'gift' and make apologies. The only way relations could be restored. Saudi was nice enough to remain silent and let Thai media flog a cover story about wanting Thai workers. Silence is golden blue.     

• Like 1