Now that paypal is basically done

I see now stripe and Google pay are available in Thailand. Wondering if anyone has experience here as a merchant gateway? 

Stripe seems much cheaper and easier to setup than thai online bank merchant accounts. Also seems Google pay has no fees how do they make money? 

12 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

If you are using PayPal only to pay for the goods and services or to send the money to other people, you can register now with PayPal Thailand that was just relaunched a week ago.

However if you want to use PayPal for your business to receive payments from customers, you must be a citizen of Thailand. Foreigners living in Thailand are not eligible.

Thanks.  I had received e-mails from PayPal, but really didn't bother to check what the changes were.  You made it very simple to understand.  I rarely used PayPal, but nice to know that it is still an option.

I have a German PayPal opened with my Personalausweis or national ID and linked to my IBAN account and I also have a Cambodian PayPal. The latter is linked to my ABA account in Phnom Penh and KYC'd with my Cambodian passport (obtained by naturalization in 2020). Both are convenient and although their terms state one should only have 1 PayPal account, I have been using both without issues (so far) but I never send money from one to the other to avoid setting off flags and alarm bells.

The only problem with a Cambodian PayPal is you can't withdraw to a local bank or card. The main advantages are: 1) it can be linked to local cards, 2) worry-free exchange rate margins due to USD currency used in Cambodia, and of course 3) PayPal's fraud protection.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

If you are using PayPal only to pay for the goods and services or to send the money to other people, you can register now with PayPal Thailand which was just relaunched a week ago.

If you go to the signup page it says Personal Account requires Thai National ID ???

I did not go any further to check where the ID is required

Edited by a340bangla1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:
3 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

If you are using PayPal only to pay for the goods and services or to send the money to other people, you can register now with PayPal Thailand that was just relaunched a week ago.

However if you want to use PayPal for your business to receive payments from customers, you must be a citizen of Thailand. Foreigners living in Thailand are not eligible.

Expand  

Thanks.  I had received e-mails from PayPal, but really didn't bother to check what the changes were.  You made it very simple to understand.  I rarely used PayPal, but nice to know that it is still an option.

Don't be too thankful unless you've got a Thai ID card, what he posted is not accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

The only problem with a Cambodian PayPal is you can't withdraw to a local bank or card. The main advantages are: 1) it can be linked to local cards, 2) worry-free exchange rate margins due to USD currency used in Cambodia, and of course 3) PayPal's fraud protection.

Isn't having to provide a Cambodian address, phone number and Cambodian bank account a bit of a disadvantage for those here in Thailand?

3 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

If you are using PayPal only to pay for the goods and services or to send the money to other people, you can register now with PayPal Thailand which was just relaunched a week ago.

To migrate your account to Paypal Thailand you need to do ID verification and Paypal decided to outsource that to NDID (National Digital Identification Co Ltd), a private Thai company that only provides ID verification for Thai citizens.  Therefore Paypal made the decision to axe foreign accounts in Thailand through its choice of ID verification contractor.  

Seems odd because most Thai consumers and vendors have no need of Paypal. They transfer funds online and send the slip with LINE saving card and other other payment service fees. I guess it was mainly foreigners and a small number of Thais who can read English and have enough money to buy stuff from overseas that used Paypal.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 2:58 AM, PattayaKevin said:

I've used stripe they are horrible they will hold your money and will also close your account on a whim. They even refunded my customers when they closed my account even after I sent them the merchandise. 

Had exactly the same issue - horrible! They close an account from one moment to another for no valid reason, impossible to talk to anyone. They kept money for months on hold and paid it out after deducting some strange fees for closing the account. Never again.