Motorbikes.

Tilapia

Rare find, on the ride yesterday to Ubonrat Dam, and meeting up with the other guys. They introduced me to the Lucy Bar, owned by a farang and great farrang food although I think it' a bit limited steak or schnitzel, both of which were excellent. I thinkl the reaon I had never seen it always ropad straigh to the park area and b never mae that turn into the village.

Anyway your in a very small village and here is the great farrang and Thai food out in the boonies. The best way I can desribe it is jurst before you ge to the park entrance, you will see the entrance to the city on you left coming from Highway 2. Down about 600 meters on the left side.

Looks like the White Devils are very serious about putting toegther a bike meet together at the the dam next February. Meeting with local officials ect. I wish them luck, not a small chore, but look like they will get it together adn I think one worth going to.

We back the Nung Bua Lampho route, nicey curvey road in good condtion, the 400 Dragstar, handled great a lot better then I was expecting from he boat. Not used to it yet, so I didn't push it but it was sloid in the curves. I think I'm begining to see why it is known as a cruiser.

Hardly Powerful by any means but you got a 600 pound bike powered by a 31 horse power engines. In my case a huge windshield, a lot of drag there. But if you get into through the gears it's still repectful. But it ain't no sport bike LOL

Hi Ray.

Nice to hear that it was a good trip, I'm just come to the fact that I need to lose 20 pounds before I can go on any long trip, my arms are to short, I have problems reaching the handle-bars.....

Tilapia.

I live in Non-Dindang in Buri-Ram, and I have just talked the wife into letting me look for a nice bike when I go home this time. I guess we'll be looking in Bangkok, anyone have a recommendation for a decent bike shop? I'd like a Harley, but I don't think that I could find any parts less than 5 hours from the house. I would settle for a Honda or Yamaha 1000 cc or above. Chopper would be a definite, the wife would never walk within a kilometer of a sport bike.

My hope is to get it now, and have it ready for my holiday trips home now, and for when I finally get to stay for good. I still work in Iraq, but hope to stay home soon, sometime this year if I'm lucky.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Chris

Hello Chris.

I can ask him what he have in stock, and check some prices for you. I'm going up there today.

Tilapia.

Thanks Tilapia! I'd really appreciate it. I hope I can get something arranged. It's time to get back on a scoot again. The whole wind in my hair thing just doesn't get it on my Honda 125. I feel like a Hippo in tights trying to be a ballerina. :o

Hi Chris.

He had the cheapest Harley I've seen here in Thailand, 430.000baht, and it dident look in a bad shape, I will get some more details with in the next few days, then I will send you a PM.

Regards.

Tilapia.

I'll check out the website and stop by there. Thanks I really appreciate it. I also need to stop by Dave's, I told him that I'd check his bike out if he still had it when I get there. I just received a message last night and he still has it. From the photo it looks excellent. He lives up there in Buri-Ram. I really appreciate all the help and look forward to finding my next scoot.

Thanks again!!!

Chris

Hi fellas,

Great read & info.

Many Thanks.

Alas im also in & out of the country but im ganna be looking to buy a bike later this year.

After lots of web surfing & reading bike forums it has to be the Honda VFR800 ABS.

It seems to have everything i need ie-Power, comfort, handling & great looks :o

I used to ride a Suzuki GSX 750F here in england & to be honest never had a problem with the bike apart from some realy long rides my back would start to ache.

But i guess that can be said with all bikes?

So fingers crossed (Wife doesnt mind) i might be able to join you for some rides around Issan.

Hi fellas,

Great read & info.

Many Thanks.

Alas im also in & out of the country but im ganna be looking to buy a bike later this year.

After lots of web surfing & reading bike forums it has to be the Honda VFR800 ABS.

I used to ride a Suzuki GSX 750F here in england & to be honest never had a problem with the bike apart from some realy long rides my back would start to ache.

So fingers crossed (Wife doesnt mind) i might be able to join you for some rides around Issan.

You are most welcome, I used to have a Honda VFR 750 RC45 back in 1994, and it is the best handling bike I ever had, it was just perfect ballanced in any situation (except head-on colision) :D You will be very happy with the choice you made. :D

Tilapia.

Hi fellas,

Great read & info.

Many Thanks.

You are most welcome, I used to have a Honda VFR 750 RC45 back in 1994, and it is the best handling bike I ever had, it was just perfect ballanced in any situation (except head-on colision) :D You will be very happy with the choice you made. :D

Tilapia.

Thxs for that Tilapia.

Im going to arrange a test ride sometime this week with the local Honda dealership here in London.

Ive already looked at the Bike dealers posted on this forum thread but cant seem to find any that sell the new VFR :D But still early days.

I think you need to take contact with a dealer here in Thailand and say that you want that specific bike, I doubt that they will have one in stock, or you could buy it in UK and import it yourself, that is also an option.

I have only had 2nd bikes, but I think some of the other guys here have experince about buying new bikes.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

Sorry what i ment was im after a 2nd hand VFR but if possible the 2006 model.

I can ask the guy, who I buy from, if he can get a 2nd hand in, but it might be a 2003-2005 model, it is hard to find them as new as 2006, I wanted a Suzuki GSX 1000 R from 2004-2006 :o and I ended up with a 2002 model, the bike works fine, and he did tell me before it got in to Thailand, that is was a 2002 model or nothing :D . So if you want I can check it out for you, and send a PM when I know.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia,

Sorry what i ment was im after a 2nd hand VFR but if possible the 2006 model.

I can ask the guy, who I buy from, if he can get a 2nd hand in, but it might be a 2003-2005 model, it is hard to find them as new as 2006, I wanted a Suzuki GSX 1000 R from 2004-2006 :o and I ended up with a 2002 model, the bike works fine, and he did tell me before it got in to Thailand, that is was a 2002 model or nothing :D . So if you want I can check it out for you, and send a PM when I know.

Tilapia.

Will do nearer to the time.

Once again many Thanks :D

Not a long ride at all Talpia, around 200 K', spent more thime listening to the Brits tease eachother then riding, Real kick back stuff.

Hi Ray.

I'm 190cm tall and weigh 140kilos :o , so the bike I have chosen isent realy the perfect choice for me, again it is what I love, and it's a good motivation for losing the extra pounds, I've carrying for way to long time. :D

Tilapia.

(TT) Tis Thailand make a tank that works for you, Ride loose the weight and put the old tank back on.

Definelty hard to snack when your riding as long as your moving. Just kidding what gives you pleaure in this journey is what counts.

Tilapia

Sounds like you need a bicycle. Try out pacing a pack of rabid dogs in this heat, the weight will just fall of you!

I had one, but the frame broke :D , I have never enjoy sports in this kind of heat, it would give me a stroke, before I would lose some weight :D , but I have faith, just put my mind to it.

And many thanks for your advise, my son suggested that he should drive the bike, and have me running after him, attach to a rope !!! :o What a little smart-azz....reminds me of myself...

Tilapia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all you bikers, I live in Namsom, 10 o clock from Udon Thani and a 100 ks, i have a 1200 XJR Yam, weve been out with Ray23 on a ride and throughly enjoyed it, A few days ago, the missus was in Udon at a beauty semimar, it was a nice overcast day so i went out on the bike, from Namsom to Pak Chom next to the Mekong, 30 ks from home i really thought i was in the Alps, the road was new, with hairpin bends, downhill and uphill straights, mountain walls either side, 1 ride both ways on deserted roads was lovely, My bike has a 4 into 1 with a carbon race can, and to hear it sing through the gears was music in my ears, Definitley will go back soon!!

Ray23, if you are reading this, the farm sweetcorn are ready now and youve welcome to some, Cheers, Lickey.

Hi all you bikers, I live in Namsom, 10 o clock from Udon Thani and a 100 ks, i have a 1200 XJR Yam, weve been out with Ray23 on a ride and throughly enjoyed it, A few days ago, the missus was in Udon at a beauty semimar, it was a nice overcast day so i went out on the bike, from Namsom to Pak Chom next to the Mekong, 30 ks from home i really thought i was in the Alps, the road was new, with hairpin bends, downhill and uphill straights, mountain walls either side, 1 ride both ways on deserted roads was lovely, My bike has a 4 into 1 with a carbon race can, and to hear it sing through the gears was music in my ears, Definitley will go back soon!!

Ray23, if you are reading this, the farm sweetcorn are ready now and youve welcome to some, Cheers, Lickey.

Hi Lickey.

Sounds like a great drive, I have plans going up in your area in the beginning of September, so if anybody is interested in showing me the suroundings in Udon, I would really appreciate it.

At pressent my bike is in the paint-shop, I was trying to improve my wheelie skills :o but the bike had it's own mind.. :D

Regards

Tilapia.

At pressent my bike is in the paint-shop, I was trying to improve my wheelie skills :o but the bike had it's own mind.. :D

Nothing hurt I hope. I'll be looking for a paint shop soon. Anyone have experience of one in the Khon Kaen area?

Nothing hurt I hope. I'll be looking for a paint shop soon. Anyone have experience of one in the Khon Kaen area?

Only my pride :D I ended up taking mine to Korat, they did a ok job with another bike I had a few years back.

Perfect got a break in school I'll gather up some guy and we will head for corn in the next few days.

Ray

Hello all,

I am working on building out 2 different 2up cruiser frames from the USA right now and I know big V-twins are hard to come by out here in Issan but is there any bike shops out this way that sell parts for the bigger Japanese bikes, for me to get parts like front end or wheels? Or am I stuck with going to BKK for everything?

P.S...sure wish this thread could have stayed in the Issan foum where I spend most of my time on TV

Edited by vision

Hello all,

I am working on building out 2 different 2up cruiser frames from the USA right now and I know big V-twins are hard to come by out here in Issan but is there any bike shops out this way that sell parts for the bigger Japanese bikes, for me to get parts like front end or wheels? Or am I stuck with going to BKK for everything?

P.S...sure wish this thread could have stayed in the Issan foum where I spend most of my time on TV

Hi Vision

There is a shop in Korat, they do the big W-twins, the guys name is Khun Du, his number is 081-5939387, but he dont speak any Engilsh, at least what I know of.

Tilapia.

Hi Tilapia, If youve looking to visit the Udon area, Ray23 is your best bet, hes got lots of biker mates there and knows the bike shops in the city, and youve welcome to give Namsom a look too, Buddha temple in the lake ect, surrounding mountain ranges ect,there are 3 resorts here,my mrs runs a beauty salon with thai and oil massage,or pop up to the Mekong for some freshly grilled fish,or even a week on our farm, weeding,moving irrigation lines and picking fruit will soon get you back in shape, :o

Hi Tilapia, If youve looking to visit the Udon area, Ray23 is your best bet, hes got lots of biker mates there and knows the bike shops in the city, and youve welcome to give Namsom a look too, Buddha temple in the lake ect, surrounding mountain ranges ect,there are 3 resorts here,my mrs runs a beauty salon with thai and oil massage,or pop up to the Mekong for some freshly grilled fish,or even a week on our farm, weeding,moving irrigation lines and picking fruit will soon get you back in shape, :D

Hi Lickey.

I'm not running away from one farm, to be stucked on another :D The resort and oil massage sounds more tempting, :o and if there is a few coold brews as well, then I'm in heaven :D

I will properly have to bring the missy as well, but she will be driving the car, the refuces to sit on the bike, if I'm driving :D

Tilapia.

Tilipia, My fridge is always full of cold beers, even more so than food at times, The 3rd floor of the salon is open plan, i usually sit up there with a cold beer watching the sunsets or storms rolling in over the mountains,with a CD player going as well, my little piece of paradise in Thailand :o

Tilipia, My fridge is always full of cold beers, even more so than food at times, The 3rd floor of the salon is open plan, i usually sit up there with a cold beer watching the sunsets or storms rolling in over the mountains,with a CD player going as well, my little piece of paradise in Thailand :o

Hi Lickey.

Sounds like my kind of place, cant wait to get there, we havent had a holiday for many years, so I'm rearlly looking forward to go.

The missy wanted to go to Phuket, I said fine, but you will go alone :D while I'm driving up north....The problem is that she is jealous and I'm not, so now she wants to come along :D

It will be in the beginning of September, I will keep you informed, is there any hotel close by, with air-con ??

Cheers

Tilapia.

Tilapia, the resort my mate stayed at in Namsom has air-con,colour TV, electric shower and western style toilet, big double bed, about 500bht 1 night, the boss will make you a coffee in the morning, but i think thats a little extra bht.

Recently a swiss man and his thai mrs opened a resturant, do some decent western food there, we go 2 times a week, Rainer {swiss man } comes to my place whenever there is Moto GP or Formula 1 on UBC, we have a good drink and chat together!!

So put your bike in the back of your pick-up, bring your mrs, the girls can go talk all day or what they want, we can go of riding in the mountains, and a beer or 3 in the evenings and a good salad or cheese burgher, :o .

Cheers, Lickey.