Udon Thani and Khon Kaen Trip January 2023

mikesalaugh

Planning a trip to Udon for 4 or 5 days in mid/late January and then on to Khon Kaen for 4 or 5 days before heading to Koh Samui.

I've not been to Udon for 6 years (only 1 trip there before) and never been to Khon Kaen.

Whats the weather and temperature mid January? Not too worried early mornings as I don't wake till afternoons and enjoy the night times more.

How do I get from Udon to Khon Kaen? I looked at the bus time table and seems to be only 1 bus per day leaving just before midnight? I really don't want to travel that time of night.

Possible via taxi or bolt - any ideas of the cost of this? Any alternatives?

Also looking for a hotel in Khon Kaen near the night life area (1500 - 2000 baht/night) but must have a balcony for smoking and a safety box for my valubles.

What is the central entertainment area there?

I hear the night life is split up in Khon Kaen are tuk tuk's/bolts taxi/motorcyle taxi's easy to arrange at night?

Yes I'm on holiday so out for a good time, so last question, what time to the bars close up there? Any nightclubs or similar for "after hours" entertainment"?

I appreciate any helpful answers, I'm just out for a good time and good holiday, relax and enjoy and drink after working hard for very many months.

• Thanks 1

I stay at Nadee 10 hotel which is a couple of km outside the nightlife but I have also stayed at Pullman Raja Orchid which is probably the most expensive and is bang in the city centre. There are quite a few options very nearby to this hotel that are cheaper.

Have a look at these. below for all budgets and near Central Plaza.

I am in Khonkaen often, usually for hospital appointments.

There are plenty of forms of transport for getting around available in the evening.

You need to be around Central Plaza for the nightlife etc.

I can't help with after hours, past my bedtime!

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.html?aid=318615&label=Low_CPA_English_EN_TH_21461893945-DDdCfU*zlfGlGP*sW8iDxwS217247570316%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap%3Aneg&sid=35e4622d6b36310a94f76b649cad7065&sb=1&sb_lp=1&src=landmark&src_elem=sb&error_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.booking.com%2Flandmark%2Fth%2Fcentral-plaza-khon-kaen.html%3Faid%3D318615%26label%3DLow_CPA_English_EN_TH_21461893945-DDdCfU%2AzlfGlGP%2AsW8iDxwS217247570316%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap%3Aneg%26sid%3D35e4622d6b36310a94f76b649cad7065%26inac%3D0%26%26&ss=CentralPlaza+Khon+Kaen&is_ski_area=0&ssne=CentralPlaza+Khon+Kaen&ssne_untouched=CentralPlaza+Khon+Kaen&landmark=235849&checkin_year=2023&checkin_month=1&checkin_monthday=4&checkout_year=2023&checkout_month=1&checkout_monthday=7&group_adults=2&group_children=0&no_rooms=1&b_h4u_keep_filters=&from_sf=1

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to live near Khon Kaen prior to the pandemic and was a local Tourist Police Volunteer. Here are some answers to your questions regarding Khon Kaen which I hope are current:-

5 hours ago, mikesalaugh said:

Also looking for a hotel in Khon Kaen near the night life area

Right by the main nightlife area, near Central Plaza, and just a quick stroll, is the prominent luxury

Pullman Khon Kaen Raja Orchid. This may be just outside your budget and currently a room costs 2,400 baht per night. There are other less expensive hotels in the same area but I leave you to research on the internet. 

4 hours ago, mikesalaugh said:

How do I get from Udon to Khon Kaen

By bus, there is a regular local service. Forget the Inter-Provincial buses heading south to Bangkok.

There is the usual passenger van service and a train service. Trains depart Udon (arrival in Khon Kaen) - 

05.55 (7.47) 08.14 (9.29) 13.38 (15.27) 19.03 (20.23) 19.28 (21.10) and 20.17 (21.47). Please check at Udon Station.

4 hours ago, mikesalaugh said:

What's the weather and temperature mid January?

Month  High / Low(°F)  Rain

January  87° / 63°      0 days

What is the central entertainment area there?

Mostly around the Pullman hotel where there are many bars and restaurants catering for the ex-pats. I seem to remember a nightclub but I soon left due to the ear splitting electronic music, strobes and screaming/shouting/inebriated Thais! Nightclubs are not my scene.

The other area of bars and restaurants is across the main Route 2 which divides the city, within the extended University Campus, and to the north west from the Pullman. Obviously very popular with the students and great fun. Taxi/tuk-tuk essential.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy but please do your homework and bear in mind that Khon Kaen is not like Bangkok, Pattaya or Patong with all the sex pats/tourists!! Pre-pandemic most bars closed by midnight or 01:00am and "silence was golden"! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All bars and clubs currently have to close at 2am, which is certainly the case in Udon.

There are some speak easy places that are open until 4 or 5 am but you of course always run a risk in such establishments with plod doing a raid if the envelopes haven't been received.

Plus you need a Thai who's in the know about such places.

The farang bar scene in Udon is larger than in KK so is my preferred destination by far.

I avoid KK because IMO it's a limited experience compared to Udon.

• Like 1

I don't know what sort of nightlife you are looking for.
As you have already been to Udon, you will have been to Day & Night (or is it Night & Day?).

Be warned, there is nothing like that in Khon Kaen.

Most of the nightlife in KK is set up for the Thai youth. The Farang bar scene is quite subdued and as already stated centered near the Pullman hotel.

If you like extremely noisy Thai bars, walk out of the Pullman, turn left and left again and that road is full of them. I think that the Thai bars close at different times depending on how many customers they have. Certainly some are open until 3AM.

Farang bars also seem to close when the customers leave but I am usually done by 1AM, so not sure.

In the post above mine, MrJ2U says "Bus station and train station all within walking distance. ", he is obviously not talking about KK as the bus station is way out of town. Railway station is close though.

If there are any Tuk Tuks around at night in KK, they are few and far between. Most bars/restaurants will call you a taxi. Taxi's are very reasonable and most trips around KK will be 100 Baht maximum. There may be a small late night surcharge.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Andycoops said:

All bars and clubs currently have to close at 2am, which is certainly the case in Udon.

There are some speak easy places that are open until 4 or 5 am but you of course always run a risk in such establishments with plod doing a raid if the envelopes haven't been received.

Plus you need a Thai who's in the know about such places.

The farang bar scene in Udon is larger than in KK so is my preferred destination by far.

I avoid KK because IMO it's a limited experience compared to Udon.

2am may well be an official closing time however several bars in the Day/night complex are regularly open until 4am and 5am. The main after hours drinking place is a three minute walk from Day/night and is well known among the Thais and foreigners there.

• Thanks 1