Weed still for sale on Soi Cowboy

Dogmatix

After reading about unlicensed sellers getting busted for selling from mobile stalls on Thonglor and Sukhumvit Soi 11, I was surprised to see 4 or 5 stalls openly selling buds on Soi Cowbay the other night.  Two of them were busy selling buds and ready rolled joints to tourists one or two metres away from policemen who took zero interest.  Presumably they have temporary informal licenses from Thonglor police or maybe profit sharing deals.  The apparently licensed dispensary on the corner of Soi 23 with Cowboy that was packed with smokers before the edict banning smoking lounges has removed the ash trays and bar stools and had no customers.  One of the former bars at the Asoke end has been converted to a cannabis shop and had customers rolling joints inside and smoking them outside in front of it. In fact many of the bars had customers smoking joints out front. This aspect may actually be legal, since cannabis smoking outside is now controlled under the Public Health Act in the same way as tobacco. That means it is only an offence, if it causes a nuisance to others and someone needs to complain.  Complaints about smoking tobacco or cannabis in  an outside smoking zone in front of a bar in Soi Cowboy are extremely unlikely.  

Apparently, not found on Soi Cowboy were paragraph breaks. ???? 

I think the problem with looking at a particular location on a particular day is that, police busted sellers on KSR, then a few days later they busted sellers on Thong Lor, then a few days later they made some busts on Soi 11.  

Seems they pick and choose when to conduct their checks and different police districts have different chiefs so it’s not all coordinated.  

On 12/24/2022 at 10:10 AM, LOWERCASEGUY said:

Apparently, not found on Soi Cowboy were paragraph breaks. ???? 

I think the problem with looking at a particular location on a particular day is that, police busted sellers on KSR, then a few days later they busted sellers on Thong Lor, then a few days later they made some busts on Soi 11.  

Seems they pick and choose when to conduct their checks and different police districts have different chiefs so it’s not all coordinated.  

Thonglor and Cowboy are both in the Thonglor police precinct.  Cops obviously happy to allow the sales and smoking in Cowboy for mow, which has always been a major profit centre for Thonglor cop shop. The problem will come, if others stick their oars in a demand action but that will still leave the licensed shops in the immediate vicinity and smoking will be hard to stop, if no one complains.  I doubt there have been many complaints about tobacco smoking which is now under the same law.  I guess people have been complaining about the vans in Thonglor, Soi 11 and KSR.  They are a bit more obvious, as they are more cosmopolitan venues visited by Thai youths but Cowboy is solely for foreign whore mongers and Thai bar workers whom no one cares about.