House Rental Deposit

Grateful for any help, suggestions etc.

3-bdrm, 2-storey house in a mubaan with a normal sized yard in a Chiang Mai suburb, rented for the past 2+ years, first year on annual contract, then switched to month-to-month. Initial deposit was 30k Baht = 3 months rent.

I live in this house with my wife (Thai). No kids.

Landlord is a Thai lady with a farang (German) husband. The contract was made entirely with the Thai as the husband was abroad at the time.

I want to leave -- can I get my deposit back? No problem with a 30-day notice. What are my rights?

Reasons for leaving? recent events -- will spell them out if necessary.

There is neither structural nor internal damage -- just minor repairs to 3 partially broken chairs and a few odds and ends -- a thorough house cleaning is a given. The paint job still looks OK to me but the landlady said recently that sometimes it costs 35-40k to repaint internal walls. This does not seem right and is yet another indication of anticipated traffic.

Perspective on the larger picture regarding my 7 years in Thailand -- I like living in this country; it is superior to any place I've been to thus far. There are 60 million Thais and only one of them is on a collision course with me and even that I believe can be circumvented.

Thanks for your help

I have NEVER known in a long life both here and in the UK, that a Deposit was returned.

When I left my Flat in England the Landlord claimed the place needed completely redecorating, new carpets etc etc.

They ALWAYS do it seems. So best of luck !

The only way to beat the grasping greedy Landlord is to get behind in your rent for a month. Then do a moonlight flit!

Grateful for any help, suggestions etc.

3-bdrm, 2-storey house in a mubaan with a normal sized yard in a Chiang Mai suburb, rented for the past 2+ years, first year on annual contract, then switched to month-to-month. Initial deposit was 30k Baht = 3 months rent.

I live in this house with my wife (Thai). No kids.

Landlord is a Thai lady with a farang (German) husband. The contract was made entirely with the Thai as the husband was abroad at the time.

I want to leave -- can I get my deposit back? No problem with a 30-day notice. What are my rights?

Reasons for leaving? recent events -- will spell them out if necessary.

There is neither structural nor internal damage -- just minor repairs to 3 partially broken chairs and a few odds and ends -- a thorough house cleaning is a given. The paint job still looks OK to me but the landlady said recently that sometimes it costs 35-40k to repaint internal walls. This does not seem right and is yet another indication of anticipated traffic.

Perspective on the larger picture regarding my 7 years in Thailand -- I like living in this country; it is superior to any place I've been to thus far. There are 60 million Thais and only one of them is on a collision course with me and even that I believe can be circumvented.

Thanks for your help

Here is what I did:

Went to Lawyer told him the story.

Got his card gave it to the landlord and told here she can talk to my lawyer, she chose not to be bothered, and I got my deposit back.

NO CHARGE for Lawyers time.

Depends on what your contract says!

I have gotten MOST of my deposit back from every rental I have had in Thailand. (All from 2 and 75%+ from the other 2 after final bills were paid) Was not always SPEEDY .... but I did get my $ back :o

Thanks for the input.

I shall try the lawyer/card method. :o

A recent development -- they came over at my request for an inspection (or perhaps introspection?); they said everything looked good except for the 6 small insect mounds on one of the exterior walls.

So if I get the shaft, I'd be paying 5k per mound. :D)

Because those insect mounds wouldn't have been there had the landlady been living in the house herself???

I have never not got a deposit back in Chiang Mai, and I've lived in 6 different houses. I've not had any friends not get deposits back, either.

Perhaps we're just lucky, but I remain hopeful that you'll get yours.

Good luck.

Cheers,

tt