Traveling with bike on Bangkok Airways

NorthernRyland

I've never traveled with a bike before but I'd like to try. I read BKK airways allows you take bikes on but has anyone had any good experiences? Obviously I'm worried about them destroying a carbon frame by crushing the case (I read good reviews on people traveling with soft cases in the US).

Reading this it almost sounds like they let you take it on board but I doubt that.

https://www.bangkokair.com/press-release/view/Bangkok Airways Launches “Bike On Board” Service

Any thoughts appreciated.

What routes are you planning, and which planes serve those routes?

See their baggage rules.

• Bicycle must be collapsible and suitably packed in a hard protective case. If bicycle is packed in soft bike travel bag, a Limited Release tag will be signed.
  • Dimensions:
    • ATR : 50 x 100 x 50 cm
    • Airbus : 145 x 160 x 110 cm
  • Applicable on Bangkok Airways , Airbus-operated flights, from now until further notice.
    Note : Bangkok Airways ATR operated flights are not applicable for this offer.

15 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

What routes are you planning, and which planes serve those routes?

See their baggage rules.

• Bicycle must be collapsible and suitably packed in a hard protective case. If bicycle is packed in soft bike travel bag, a Limited Release tag will be signed.
  • Dimensions:
    • ATR : 50 x 100 x 50 cm
    • Airbus : 145 x 160 x 110 cm
  • Applicable on Bangkok Airways , Airbus-operated flights, from now until further notice.
    Note : Bangkok Airways ATR operated flights are not applicable for this offer.

I was thinking of escaping the smoke season in Chiang Mai and going some Island, probably Samui since I've never been.

Ah the soft bag has some warning attached with it. Maybe that's a bad idea then but I heard good reviews from other airlines. In fact many said the opposite, a hard case got treated worse since the staff perceived it to be safe to throw around. If they toss a bike they do a normal bag and store other bags on it they could easily break it.

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

The special rate is only for routes with the big Airbus.  I'd guess the smaller ATR with space for only one collapsible bike is more likely flown domestic.  Would have to check the airline schedule to confirm.

If domestic travel, I'd just go by bus or train.

Thanks. Going to Samui by train sounds like a pretty big chore but maybe the only way possible if traveling with a bike.