Battery for Macbook Pro

jayboy

I have a 2016 Macbook Pro which is working fine but the battery will need replacing soon.Is this a straightforward matter for Apple service outlets in Bangkok and how much approximately will it cost? Advice gratefully received.

Apple started doing battery replacements at a fair price. Always get apple to do it unless you want to risk something going wrong and getting bootleg parts. 

probably will cost $200

youre in bangkok so it should be easy to go to the apple store 

Edited by dj230
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

Apple started doing battery replacements at a fair price. Always get apple to do it unless you want to risk something going wrong and getting bootleg parts. 

If you can get an Apple battery the MacBook Pro isn’t difficult to take apart, assuming you have the tools, to fit a battery. Apple will do it for you.

813DAA00-22CA-406C-910E-33E7164473A0.thumb.jpeg.bd51099afbc7360dd61af2a16d9c19cc.jpeg

the 15” is the same cost

Edited by sometimewoodworker

31 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you can get an Apple battery the MacBook Pro isn’t difficult to take apart, assuming you have the tools, to fit a battery. Apple will do it for you.

813DAA00-22CA-406C-910E-33E7164473A0.thumb.jpeg.bd51099afbc7360dd61af2a16d9c19cc.jpeg

the 15” is the same cost

if I remember correctly, apple doesn't sell their batteries, so chances are its bootleg, also I think the MacBook batteries in 2016 are typically glued down which is why it's easier to have apple do it

You can go to Apple support site and enter serial number, to determine your exact model of the notebook (or phone or tablet, etc.) and you'll get a list of service centers in town and the price for each. For some, an appointment online from that page is required, others you can just walk in.

I would recommend (if you're in Bangkok) to make appointment with Apple Store at Central World, as they would make sure that all backups are done, make a full checkup of notebook before service, take about 2 hours to replace battery (also replaces keyboard and trackpad on MacBook Pro!), without some on-top commissions like some other iCare service centers. You'll know what I mean when you see prices of other shops.

Alternative is to take it to place like MBK or Fortune and have someone replace only battery, using heat pads and acid to remove old battery from the casing, possibly damaging it. Unfortunately the keyboard/trackpad/battery is a single part which is glued together with a very strong adhesive. Newer models (16" and M1/M2 models) have replaced that glue with pull tabs. But previous versions of MBP unfortunately use glue.

You can search for your model on ifixit.com to see the whole procedure. It'll probably put you off from allowing someone at MBK do it. I've successfully replaced battery on MBP and iPad. Was it fun? Not at all and things could have so easily gone bad. I was just lucky.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I got a guy at MBK to do mine for 1,500 baht. One year later, the battery is shot. Not worth the savings, unless you have someone very reliable. 

Got the battery in my 2014 MBP replaced at iParts in Udom Suk.

2 years later, batter condition is "Normal", and charge holds well.

The only shop I've done repairs (outside Apple's service centers) was https://www.houkandbank.com/

They have shop at Soi Mahadthai (Lat Phrao 122/Ramkhamhaeng 65) next to Tong Charoen mansion, or MBK, though I've never been to their MBK shop. They did good work on mobile devices, but no idea about battery swapping on a MacBook Pro. Maybe worth asking. They have FB and Line as well and are responsive, the owner speaks good English as well so you can ask him.

That said.. for pricey/complicated to do stuff I'd personally pick Apple's own service center at Central World or ICON Siam. And on the plus side - after battery swap, the keyboard will look like new!

https://support.apple.com/th-th/mac/repair

This is the site to check price of repair and make a booking.

13 hours ago, dj230 said:

if I remember correctly, apple doesn't sell their batteries, so chances are its bootleg, also I think the MacBook batteries in 2016 are typically glued down which is why it's easier to have apple do it

@dj230 I made no comment about the availability of Apple batteries. Batteries are in general a commodity item, so the price is a reasonably good guide to quality, though if you get a branded battery you can have confidence in the quality.

As to a glued down battery a little isopropyl alcohol will allow that to detach reasonably easily, or you can get the iFixit Adhesive Remover if you prefer that. it should take under 30 minutes.

Typically you should expect to pay in the region of ฿3,000 +- 10% for the battery or about 50% of the apple replacement price

Edited by sometimewoodworker