20 Million International Travelers Expected to Visit Thailand in 2023

snoop1130

59 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has thanked all related sectors for helping realize the government’s policy on tourism growth, which is essential for the country’s economic recovery.

I hardly think anything the Government did resulted in this forecast. Its just the ending (we hope) of covid.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've no idea how they've worked this out or if it's likely to be accurate or just a matter of hope but it seems a bit confusing based on this report.

The government has set a target for this year to achieve 80% tourism revenue and 50% of international arrivals compared to pre-pandemic levels.

If they have set a target then they must have some expectation of achieving. 20 million tourists would be 50% of the numbers in 2019. Tourism revenue seems to have been around 61 - 62 bn US$ which is around 1.7 trillion baht so the calculations don't appear right to me. If I've got that wrong, which is quite possible as I'm not used those sort of numbers, please let me know.

I'm also puzzled by the idea of getting 80% of revenue from 50% of tourists. Maybe that's accounted for by inflation or maybe the world economy is in a much better state than I've been given to believe.

These targets equate to no less than 2.38 trillion baht in revenue and at least 20 million visitors, not including 180 million mainland Chinese travelers and domestic travelers.

If they've predicted the number of international tourists from around the world except China I would have expected an estimate of the split between Chinese and domestic tourists rather than just '180 million we haven't included'. All the domestic tourists will by definition be spending their time in Thailand. The Chinese will just be 'travellers'.

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I expect to take 2 dumps a day, so if each traveler does so, well then the sewers will be overworked....font need the sewage spilling out onto the beaches after the buffets have been decimated...

There's no excuse for flippancy. The Thai government has clearly gone to the trouble of calculating these estimates so I expect to see similar rigour from yourself. You'll need to start by giving a breakdown of the relative size of dumps by country as they may differ and that could have a significant effect on the resulting spillage. 

I'm guessing from your avatar and spelling that you're from the USA. Does dump size vary by state or political affiliation? I can't imagine Texans or Republicans being satisfied with anything less than the biggliest dumps ever. 'Bigly' is a real word apparently. Does moving to another country affect the mass of your deposits over time.

You've  got a lot of research to do so I'd take your laptop and tape and sit (or squat) on the toilet to save time and give yourself the opportunity for more personal measurement.

I await your data dump with ever increasing excitement.

• Haha 2

"and at least 20 million visitors, not including 180 million mainland Chinese travelers and domestic travelers."

Does anyone else think this sounds strange. If you add the 180 million Chinese mainland travellers and domestic travellers to the 20 million international arrivals.....you get 200 million tourists in total.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

That is 55,000 every day of the year.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

And today is 3rd, so at least 110,000 should have entered.    555

1,748,366 in November, just over 58,000 a day. December was higher although exact figure not confirmed yet.

Edited by kinyara
edit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kinyara said:

1,748,366 in November, just over 58,000 a day. December was higher although exact figure not confirmed yet.

Assuming 80% arrive by air at one of the 6 International Airports, that's is an average of 7733 at EACH ONE = 322 pax PER HOUR AT EVERY ONE FOR 24 hours EVERY DAY or roughly one aircraft. Possible?

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

expecting no less than 20 million international visitors this year

Hope the airlines hire sufficient ground staff for customer care & luggage handling.

Few trips to BKK during December, domestic flights were delayed ( 60-90 minutes delay on an hours flight, mostly during latter part of the day), followed by luggage delays in excess of 45 minutes. have seen pax scrambling for help, due to fear of missing international connections.

Heard intl check in desk staff mumbling about lack of baggage handling staff!

34 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Assuming 80% arrive by air at one of the 6 International Airports, that's is an average of 7733 at EACH ONE = 322 pax PER HOUR AT EVERY ONE FOR 24 hours EVERY DAY or roughly one aircraft. Possible?

Easily, 84% arrived by air back in 2019 which was an average of just under 92,000 a day. ( approximately 30,000 Chinese a day were in those numbers. ). It's very early days airport capacity wise with their 2023 forecast.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kimamey said:

I've no idea how they've worked this out or if it's likely to be accurate or just a matter of hope but it seems a bit confusing based on this report.

The government has set a target for this year to achieve 80% tourism revenue and 50% of international arrivals compared to pre-pandemic levels.

If they have set a target then they must have some expectation of achieving. 20 million tourists would be 50% of the numbers in 2019. Tourism revenue seems to have been around 61 - 62 bn US$ which is around 1.7 trillion baht so the calculations don't appear right to me. If I've got that wrong, which is quite possible as I'm not used those sort of numbers, please let me know.

I'm also puzzled by the idea of getting 80% of revenue from 50% of tourists. Maybe that's accounted for by inflation or maybe the world economy is in a much better state than I've been given to believe.

These targets equate to no less than 2.38 trillion baht in revenue and at least 20 million visitors, not including 180 million mainland Chinese travelers and domestic travelers.

If they've predicted the number of international tourists from around the world except China I would have expected an estimate of the split between Chinese and domestic tourists rather than just '180 million we haven't included'. All the domestic tourists will by definition be spending their time in Thailand. The Chinese will just be 'travellers'.

Yes they are wrong!

You have assumed all the tourist revenue is from International tourism. All tourism accounts for a sum equal to 19% of GDP (pre-covid), of that, 11% was obtained from international and 8% from domestic.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

During 2019, there was approximately 200,00 international flight arrivals at all airports here that disembarked 34,687, 259 passengers.

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I expect to take 2 dumps a day, so if each traveler does so, well then the sewers will be overworked....font need the sewage spilling out onto the beaches after the buffets have been decimated...

Fortunate indeed, I wish I did..... my Mrs seems to make up for me though and we really need a revolving door on the toilet for her. How did we get onto this topic?

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

During 2019, there was approximately 200,00 international flight arrivals at all airports here that disembarked 34,687, 259 passengers.

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

Oh, OK, I'll do it then...

322x24x6x365= 16,924.320

Possible? Yes, only half capacity.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Fortunate indeed, I wish I did..... my Mrs seems to make up for me though and we really need a revolving door on the toilet for her. How did we get onto this topic?

Increased visitors equals increased sewage which always seems to be an issue, well at least in Pattaya.

7 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes they are wrong!

You have assumed all the tourist revenue is from International tourism. All tourism accounts for a sum equal to 19% of GDP (pre-covid), of that, 11% was obtained from international and 8% from domestic.

That made sense until I read the figures again.

They seem to be basing these on just international arrivals but excluding from China. It mentions 180 million mainland Chinese travellers and domestic travellers. That number would seem to include both although a comma after Chinese travellers would make a difference I think.

It all seems a bit of a mess so you could be right. It may just be poor translation.

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

That made sense until I read the figures again.

They seem to be basing these on just international arrivals but excluding from China. It mentions 180 million mainland Chinese travellers and domestic travellers. That number would seem to include both although a comma after Chinese travellers would make a difference I think.

It all seems a bit of a mess so you could be right. It may just be poor translation.

I haven't checked anything else, I just wanted to verify that the number of arrivals at airports was possible, which it is. But the 2.38 trill. number looks off since Thai GDP is 16.4 trill. and international tourism is 8 or 9% of that. Who knows, the way the numbers get miscommunicated, passed along and misquoted, it's much like, "send three and fourpence we're going to a dance".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

I haven't checked anything else, I just wanted to verify that the number of arrivals at airports was possible, which it is. But the 2.38 trill. number looks off since Thai GDP is 16.4 trill. and international tourism is 8 or 9% of that. Who knows, the way the numbers get miscommunicated, passed along and misquoted, it's much like, "send three and fourpence we're going to a dance".

Yes the 20 million would be 50% of the 2019 figure, assuming they can achieve it of course.  Its age that it gets a bit vague. There's often bad translation and misquoting as you say so that may be part of the reason

Global recession and 20 million big spenders are going to come to Thailand... Those big spenders will be the ones squeezing a 100 baht note and the Thais trying to pry it out of the tourists death grip... 

No matter which way TOT wants to put their spin on it is it going to be a tough year for them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1