Intermittent Fasting

ozimoron

I'm only fat around the belly. From what I've read, skinny with a pot belly is the worst body shape to have.

I'm just about to end my first 18 hour intermittent fast in about three years. My main motivation is to ward off insulin resistance. I walk a lot and lately have been going to the gym but not losing any of my pot belly.

Anybody else intermittent fasting? How often and what is your goal?

i have not been eating past 3 pm to give my body time to burn off the calories before bed.

but needs to be high in protein and fat to keep you full.

realistically though, i dont eat in restaurants much.

good luck being strict and cooking for yourself to control what foods go into your body. 

it's not that easy and the diet gets boring and monotonous. 

also, say goodbye to your social life. you can't go out late at night for beers and chips.

gets boring as hell.

but i dont wanna be fat ever again. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

i have not been eating past 3 pm to give my body time to burn off the calories before bed.

good luck being strict and cooking for yourself to control what foods go into your body. 

also, say goodbye to your social life. you can't go out late at night for beers and chips.

gets boring as hell.

I have no ability or desire to cook for myself. I just try to avoid foods that I believe are toxic as much as practicable without being anal about about it. That means cutting out red meat essentially. I'd like to stop drinking milk but the fat is a comfort food as you alluded. I want to use intermittent fasting to attempt to offset some of the harmful effects of the food I do eat such as the oil they are fried in. I like wok fried food. I make salads and add sardines frequently. I also eat a lot of fruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

also, say goodbye to your social life.

90% of our eating is in home, and better than most restaurant, and far from boring or monotonous.

And social life ... chickies love a guy who can turn out good meals, and you're already steps from the bedroom ... win win in my world.

On Topic, I think, as didn't read the other posts ..

... intermittent fasting works fine for me.  Last meal/snack, before 2100 hrs, as can't sleep on empty stomach.  Then first meal, usually 1100-1200 hrs, so 12-15 hr fast, almost half while sleeping, and the other half, hunger postponed by wife, large coffee, sunrise, internet, walk the dog.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Im trying to find a balance between having fun and staying in shape.

Lets say one day you eat and drink as much as you please and the other day you fast.

But probably one day wouldn't be enough to repair the damage.

How much days would it take? 2 or 3 days of fasting in your opinions?

1 minute ago, tethys said:

Im trying to find a balance between having fun and staying in shape.

Lets say one day you eat and drink as much as you please and the other day you fast.

But probably one day wouldn't be enough to repair the damage.

How much days would it take? 2 or 3 days of fasting in your opinions?

The recommendation is every day (forever) but I do it on weekdays (every week), at least 4. I usually do 18 to 19 hours. On Thursday I managed 24 hours. You need to work up to it.

Also need to cut carbs as much as possible / comfortable. And do high intensity intermittent training as well.

It will take a long time (many months) to burn belly fat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It will take a long time (many months) to burn belly fat.

Yes, for fast results you have to fast as much as it takes to get rid of the fat first and then you could start what I suggested.

22 hours ago, tethys said:

Yes, for fast results you have to fast as much as it takes to get rid of the fat first and then you could start what I suggested.

"Fast results" aren't desirable and not what you'll get if doing it optimally.

Intermittent fasting is daily. Some add in one 36-hour fast a week.

5:2 has a good track record and was popular in the UK. Active forum here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/. Seems healthier than the every-other-day method. I tried it once after a 4-month holiday enjoying the hospitality of my fat friends in the USA, and it was effective. But it didn't have that much to do, really. 

There are a number of intermittent fasting methods.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 7:25 PM, save the frogs said:

1 kg spinach is 240 cals - that will fill you up, but I get your point

total nonsense - way easier to do yourself & control what YOU put in 

rubbish - simply budget your calories to accommodate or simply just accept that you will go out & enjoy life like a grown up 

gets boring as hell.

total nonsense- you will end up not only fat, but fat & miserable 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1