In 2-5 years there will be a glut if Durian in Isaan

Elkski

9 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I see durian from 2-7 years old growing on everyone's property in the village and driving around si sa khet

Comes from when the price was good so everyone started growing Durian. Price will collapse and they move on to something new that will make their fortune.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been enjoying Durian. 1st and  3rd one were great 170 baht kg.  The 2nd one was dry and hard, no flavor.  

How do they have Durian to sell in Dec/ Jan? I thought season was in may?

The smell is  strong but doesn't bother me.  First time I was a bit overwhelmed. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Good, get the price down. My wife's gotta have it and we're paying way too much. 

Nah, they'll just export more, to keep the price up.  Fake supply & demand.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/234628201.pdf

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/economics/article/3200096/vietnamese-durian-growers-causing-stink-thai-farmers-exporting-china

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

My GF grows durian  in Ban Chang  ,she points out that if you have 100 trees only 70% will produce fruit in any one year  it takes 6-7 years for  fruit to be of decent size and quality for sale and life span of Durian trees is  average 12 years  ,,  and her trees fruit in September to November

also many Thai Doctors tell patients not to eat Durian as its so Fattening and calorific one decent portion is over 1000 calories ,, many Thai women will scoff  3 or 4 portions  and pile on the pounds and cholestorel etc , mind u my GF is only 37 Kilos so she should scoff her Durian as she really ought to be 43 kg

As with almost all crops here in Thailand that are or have been "trending".

Such as rubber, cassava, strawberry and now cannabis.

First, farmers think they can make a fortune, that attracts shady middlemen trying to sell seed/seedlings/equipment followed by loan sharks and rock-bottom prices of each commodity

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cooked said:

The Chinese are big importers of durian and once the rail link to China is complete Thailand will suffer a deficit (price hike) of durian as well as many other fruits and vegetables.

Well, time to start investing or setting up a farm now

• 3 weeks later...

Chantaburi is where the durian industry is more dominant perhaps than Isaan. A lot of farmers move from one tree to another chasing the $. A lot around my place have recently gone from lamyai (Chinese demand way down for 3 years due to Covid, but now going back up) to Durian which has a solid domestic demand as well as export. However imo a lot of them don't know what they are doing, as was the case with lamyai too, as there is great discrepancy between the progress the new trees are making. Meanwhile the price of lamyai skyrocketed over new year. Also the observer talking about middlemen, there are a great number of shops selling fertiliser and agricultural chemicals for which the need is overstated. If one poor small plot farmer tells others to put this pink hormone or whatever on the crop, they will all go and buy it, 1000 baht or more for a small bottle. Or the fertilsier they put too much on when the lamyai is small as well as too much irrigation, then when the fruit really needs irrigation and fertiliser at the end, they've run out of water and money. I've seen them go for elaborate anti bat and bird defences such as lights, noise, nets all to stop a tiny portion of the crop getting taken. And a lot of farmers go to great lengths to plant bananas and malagor which they have no intention of using, I saw a guy cut down and pile up thousands of pieces of bamboo which sat on the ground never was used. I saw a farmer up the road tend rubber trees for must have been ten years, it seemed ready to me, he cut it all down and planted lamyai (another 5-7 year wait) I was particularly bamboozled by this one so I asked him why, he said he couldn't get tappers, I privately thought, not surprised, small money, horrid living conditions and have to steal to make it work.

• Thumbs Up 1