UK passport renewal, fast turn around.

Whether this improvement is sustained going forward during the early part of 2023 at least is, however, dependent on how things shape up on the current wave of civil servants' strikes. To the best of my knowledge HMPO staff have not, to date, been specifically targeted for industrial action - but that, of course, could all change to the detriment of passport processing times.

So, if your passport is due to expire over the next 6-9 months, you would still IMHO be strongly advised to set the wheels in motion for its renewal ASAP.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:38 AM, Andycoops said:

I submitted my UK passport renewal application at VFS HMPO in Bangkok on the 21st December 2022.

Yesterday, 9th January 2023 I received a email from VFS that my passport was ready for collection within the next 30 days.

I submitted my application on Friday 23rd December, and have just received notification that it's available for collection.

So less than three weeks, pretty good when you take into account the Christmas and New Year breaks.

The downside for me is that I'd already factored in a trip to Bangkok in March, when I have a medical appointment there, not complaing though.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 1:51 PM, OJAS said:

Whether this improvement is sustained going forward during the early part of 2023 at least is, however, dependent on how things shape up on the current wave of civil servants' strikes. To the best of my knowledge HMPO staff have not, to date, been specifically targeted for industrial action - but that, of course, could all change to the detriment of passport processing times.

So, if your passport is due to expire over the next 6-9 months, you would still IMHO be strongly advised to set the wheels in motion for its renewal ASAP.

Well, it would appear that passports are being specifically targeted by the PCS Union for further industrial action from 1 February if this ES article is to be believed:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/civil-servant-strike-february-government-departments-full-list-pcs-b1052407.html

Although HMPO are not explicitly included in the ES's list of affected government departments, they do, of course, form part of the Home Office who are specifically mentioned. If this further action materialises, therefore, the recent improvement in renewal processing times does not look like being sustained in the short-to-medium term, I fear.

Edited by OJAS

19 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I hope this thread doesn't get bogged down in people praising HMPO for their fast and efficient service...????

Well, you certainly won't find me skipping up and down my soi in a state of unbridled ecstasy fulsomely singing the praises of HMPO to the very highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread in the area of fast and efficient passport renewals, at least until such time as they see fit to dispense with the ridiculous requirement for 2 physical trips (whether undertaken in person or by an agent at extra cost) to a rundown office building with an extremely silly name in Bangkok or its Chiang Mai equivalent (which may well, however, be rather more sensibly named and less rundown, for all I know)!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1