I think I have this ugly drum dialed in on coconut. 3 chicks smokin.

Elkski

Ok so 3 chicks in the smoker. 

2st cook posted 2 shoats.  I added water pan and heat shield that would drip into water pan.   3 birds ,breast split not spatch cocked and I'm worried on keeping  the breast moist.  Just went with Thai way.  Plan is 4 hours 230f.   Probably need to sear the outside so I don't get complaints.   Visual Check up 40 mins in.  This humidity after the morning rain only does slow the lump start up time.  Not sure if the  lump but it's mixed trees 

20230111_110500.jpg

20230111_114323.jpg

20230111_112810.jpg

20230111_104100.jpg

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

For 20 years I thought a good 6th grade education in the USA should include learning to  humanely dispense with it and prepare the chicken, fish, rabbit, frog etc for cooking.  You don't have to eat it you just need to know how much work is involved before that fast food.  Or what it takes to make that quick package of clean checken or fish at tops.

Edited by Elkski

Well it was real skinny no fat skin chickens.  Cooked at 230 nice and steady for 3 hours then I blame bad lump coal for not  getting the coals started fast enough.  Then I overshot to 260 f in smoker.  Couldn't get my coals going hot enough for making it crispy.  It's off and resting.  It has great flavor.  Breasts are a bit dry on that edge that wouldn't be exposed if spatch cocked down the back.  

20230111_151946.jpg

20230111_154052.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the barrel was areal ugly drum it really needed a good hot burn.  I did rinse off the best I could.  Wife tells me these chickens are not a good variety or they are the type that need fattening.  I should have bought  the plump looking chickens I saw in the market for 100 baht each.  I normally use Kingsford charcoal and wood chunks.  The Kingsford burns and lights so dependably.  And the fan temp controller in my Weber smokey mountain works so well.  If not for all that garlic and spices I would have cooked with  the skin side up.  Wonder if that may have helped.  But it didn't seem to make a difference on the legs.  I also shoukd have rild uncle in law to cut down the back after I saw him whack on the breast the first hit.