Internet Fraud

kevc

I've got a friend that owns a small hotel, she's discovered another website in her hotels name with a reservations page asking for credit card details when booking, this has nothing to do with her as she does not ask for credit card details on line. The site is made up of graphics and photos taken off her own site, I tracked it as much as I could and discovered it comes from a proxy the company in the USA.

Anyone out there that can point her in the right direction as to how to proceed with reporting this site and getting it closed down.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is an interesting slant on the bank website phishing scam.

is the hosting company in the US a major Hoster - if so an email with fraud / phishing in the subject line to admin@ the hosting company . com might be the quickest way to get it offline , or contact their support staff .

have you see what www.samspade.org has to say about the URL ?

also you may want to do some google searching with the hotel name to see if their are more than one site.

This is an interesting slant on the bank website phishing scam.

is the hosting company in the US a major Hoster - if so an email with fraud / phishing in the subject line to admin@ the hosting company . com might be the quickest way to get it offline , or contact their support staff .

have you see what www.samspade.org has to say about the URL ?

also you may want to do some google searching with the hotel name to see if their are more than one site.

Thanks for the help, the sites registered through godaddy.com so I have sent an e mail off to their admin as you suggested telling them it's an illegal site probably without their knowledge and hopefully they can delete it.

I have next to no idea how these things work which is 100% up on the owner so I really appreciate your input.

Ya, godaddy should be able to help. It may take some confirmation and a bit of a process to prove that your friend is the rightful owner, though.

I checked the address of this company on Google and it comes up with a list as long as your arm of scams from pirate software to bank loans all from the same address. will let you's know the outcome thanks again for the interest ( thaivisa strikes again)

Just curious how u or yr friend discovered the fraudulent site?

She had a customer email saying they had reserved a room and had not had confirmation back as stated within 24 hrs,

they used the fake site to book because the price was a lot cheaper.

Inspired by this thread, I entered "report internet fraud" (including the quotes) into Google's searchfield. It yielded an abundance of websites, where one can fill out and submit some form in order to report fraud.

That abundance sort of made me wonder whether any of them is worth anything - In the real world you'd just have one agency (the police) where you'd go and report some crime, you'd like the proper authority to take care of.

Does anyone know who the proper authority to report internet fraud to would be? Or doesn't there exist any?

Just curious how u or yr friend discovered the fraudulent site?

She had a customer email saying they had reserved a room and had not had confirmation back as stated within 24 hrs,

they used the fake site to book because the price was a lot cheaper.

Another example of people willing to sell common sense for a few dollars.