Underground In Bkk

simon43

I'm back in the UK for a week (coming back to Bangers tonight), so I'm assuming that HM the King opened the new subway on 3rd July. Did this all go ok? and has anyone tried it out yet?

I'm due to go from Silom to Fortunetown next week, and I usually drive, but this new underground should make it a breeze!!

According to another thread in the news section there was the usual chaos on day 1 - Sunday after the King had opened the system on Saturday.

I was on it several times today and if you are going to use it from silom to Fortune then you will find it very useful.

One trip this morning from Fortune (Praram 9) to Asok BTS (Sukhumvit)took me only a little over 5 mins from leaving Fortune Town to arriving at the BTS. Really good and all for 10 baht ( well at least for the moment).

Silom to Sukhumvit took about the same time

Trains appear to be fairly frequent I did not have to wait long for any journey.

However word of warning whilst this promotion (10 baht any trip) is in place expect crowded trains particularly at rush hour. Also lines to purchase the tokens.

I suggest buying a card similar to BTS 300 baht each including 50 baht deposit.

On one of my trips this morning I found the aircon to be a bit poor- It felt a bit sticky but nothing like New York or London or or or .

For now I will be a regular user

Yes I believe that there is a map somewhere on the web try searching for MRTA bangkok and certainly maps are available at the stations and it is also on the back of the multi journey cards although only in thai.

The whole line is open - yes one line only from Hualamphong to Bang Sue From Hualamphong it goes via Silom (outside the dusitHotel) down Asok/Ratchadapisek road passing the Stock Exchange and Queen Sirikit Centre ccrossing Sukhumvit by Asok bts down Ratchadapisek past Fortune town and all the massage parlours further down down to Chatuchak Market and Bang Sue - 18 stations in all

According to reports in Bangkok Post ...

His Majesty officially opened the Subway

at 19.19 Saturday Evening.

(So there was not much time for Joy riding on Saturday).

It was overloaded with Joy riders on Sunday

at times crowds having to wait for several

Full Trains to pass before they could board.

One station Entrance had to be closed temporarily.

Some Trains were held up for 5 mins at Stations,

instead of the scheduled 20 secs !!!

(This happened to the Train I was on at a couple of Stations)

Monday - I witnessed crowded Trains at Lunch Time - 1.30pm

I have been in several stations - which have vast

empty spaces - I presume to be filled with vendors of sorts

as with the Sky Train Stations...

Roger

Huge crowds rush to try subway... Passengers jostle for space, trains delayed...

...Most flocked to Hua Lamphong and Bang Sue, the first and last stations, where enthusiastic travellers were forced to wait in the crowds for two or three trains to pass before they could squeeze aboard.

..."It's really crowded. Two trains have passed and I still can't get on,'' said one passenger at Hua Lamphong station...

An officer at Hua Lamphong station said the 10-baht fee had attracted too many people. Instead of leaving the station after reaching their destination, many people continued riding, taking several trips back and forth.

Heres a map included so dont get lost :o

(with thanks 2b)

http://www.2bangkok.com/

Blue line (1-18) - New Bangkok Subway

Station name Location

1 Hua Lamphong At the main railroad station in downtown Bangkok.

2 Sam Yarn Sam Yarn Intersection near Wat Hua Lamphong and Chula Hi-tech Square--along Rama 4 Road.

3 Si Lom In front of Dusit Thani Hotel at the corner of Rama 4 Road and Silom Road. A connecting walkway is being built to connect this station to the Saladaeng Skytrain Station. Passengers can transfer to the Saladaeng Skytrain Station.

4 Lumphini Sathorn-Rama 4 Road intersection next to Suan Lum Night Bazaar and Lumphini Park.

5 Klong Toei Near the expressway and Maenam Intersection on Rama 4 Road.

6 Queen Sirikit Convention Center

At Queen Sirikit Convention Center on Ratchadaphisek Road.

7 Sukhumvit At the intersection of Asok and Sukhumvit near Soi Cowboy. Riders can connect to the Asok Skytrain Station. Passengers can transfer to the Asok Skytrain Station.

8 Phetburi At the Phetburi Intersection near the Japanese Embassy.

9 Rama 9 In front of Fortune Town and Rama 9 Intersection.

10 Thai Cultural Center In front of Thai Life Insurance HQ on Ratchadaphisek Road.

11 Huay Kwang At the Ratchadapiesek-Huay Kwang Intersection.

12 Suthisarn At the Ratchadapiesek-Suthisarn Intersection. Near Suthisarn Police Station.

13 Ratchadaphisek In front of Plathong Karat Building on Ratchadapiesek Road.

14 Lad Phrao At Lad Phrao Soi 21--the Lad Phrao-Ratchadapiesek intersection. A Park and Ride is here.

15 Phaholyothin Lad Phrao-Phaholyothin intersection near Central Lad Phrao and Saint John's School. Passengers can transfer to the Mo Chit Skytrain Station.

16 Chatuchak At Chatuchak Park with a connection to the Morchit Skytrain Station.

17 Kamphaengphet At the west side of Chatuchak Weekend Market.

18 Bang Sue Near Bangsue junction--this is a train station about 4 kilometers north of Hua Lamphong.

Light green line (N1-N8, E1-E9) - Sukhumvit Skytrain line

Station name Location

N8 MO Chit Northernmost station on Phaholyothin. The Skytrain maintenance facilities and HQ building are nearby on the site of the former Northern Bus Terminal. Chatuchak Weekend Market is across the street. Passengers can transfer to the Phaholyothin Subway Station.

N7 Saphan Kwai Station is north of the Suthisarn-Phaholyothin Road intersection.

N5 Ari Station at the Ari-Phaholyothin Road intersection.

N4 Sanam Pao In front of the Channel 5 TV station.

N3 Victory Monument On the south side of the Victory Monument traffic circle.

N2 Phayathai At the Sri Ayutthaya intersection

N1 Rajchathewi In front of Asia Hotel

C Siam Here the line turns onto Phloenchit/Sukhumvit Road. This is the connection station where one can transfer to the Silom Line.

E1 Chitlom Near Central Department Store and Ratachprasong intersection

E2 Phloenchit

E3 Nana Near Landmark Hotel

E4 Asok At the Asok-Sukhumvit intersection. Passengers can transfer to the Sukhumvit Subway Station.

E5 Phrom Phong At The Emporium shopping center

E6 Thong Lo At Sukhumvit Soi 55

E7 Ekkamai At the intersection of Ekkamai (Sukhumvit Soi 63) and Sukhumvit near the Eastern Bus Terminal (busses to Eastern seaboard areas - Pattaya, etc.)

E8 Phrakhanong

E9 On Nut The line ends just beyond Sukhumvit Soi 77.

Dark green line (S1-S6) - Silom Skytrain line

Station name Location

W1 National Stadium Near Mahboonkrong Shopping Center

C Siam This is the connection station where one can transfer to the Sukhumvit Line.

S1 Ratchadamri Near the Regent Hotel.

S2 Saladaeng Here the line crosses Rama IV Road and heads down Silom Road - near Patpong and Silom Complex. Passengers can transfer to the Si Lom Subway Station.

S3 Chong Nonsi Here the line crosses from Silom to Sathorn Road.

S5 Surasak Near the Honda dealership on Sathorn.

S6 Saphan Taksin The line ends before the Taksin bridge that crosses the Chao Phrya River :D:D