Ham Counter In Carrefour: "cover It Up"

chakatee

Last Tuesday, I went to Carrefour around 22.30pm to buy some kinds of ham etc., things I like to eat with my bread.

I always let them slice my meat on the spot and since Tuesday I am more then happy with this habit of mine.

One of the girls there was, in public as if it is normal practice, making packages of ham to pre-wrap them in plastic foil per 100-150g. She had two piles of ham, a small pile of nice looking ham and another one which looked awful. She always put one slice of nice-looking ham on the bottom, then 5-6 slices of the old(?) second-quality(?) ham and finally again 1 nice-looking slice on top. She fitted the edges so that it wouldn't be to obvious that is were in fact 2 different kinds of ham.

So, a customers who takes a pre-wrapped bag of ham which he thinks looks tasteful, get 2 good pieces and 5-6 pieces that I wouldn't feed to my dogs.

At the time I thought that this might be a one-time-incident but no, yesterday around noon, I went there again and I saw one of the staff their opening unsold packs which didn't look good anymore, "cleaning" the top and bottom slice with a piece of cloth and giving them a new wrapping (new price tag and new expiry date included of course).

Therefore to all: be warned, don't choose the pre-wrapped ham, salami, ... but let them slice it while you're waiting so you can see that all of your slices are ok and not only the top and the bottom one.

These 2 experiences, together with the "charge the farang 5thb extra per order and don’t give him the receipt, he will not notice and/or complain anyway"-policy which they seem to have in some of the stands in Food Court make me more and more suspicious about going to Carrefour.

Anyone who has similar experiences? (or on the contrary has good experiences since I don't wanna provoke a one-sided Carrefour bashing)

C.H. Akatee

Edited by chakatee

It doesn't surprise me that they would pull that. I can attest that Carrefour's fresy sliced roast beef is of excellent quality, top, middle, and bottom.

I'm sure you brought it to the manager's attention, accused them of fraud, screamed as loud as you could to call attention to the scam, hoping that no one else in the future would also be deceived... if not, you're just as guilty as Carrefour.

I'm curious to know why you felt it important to state the incident occurred "last Tuesday"... seems odd to me to wait almost a full week to vent it out. Have you been stewing the whole time? Regardless, I appreciate your posting this. It's a good first step.

Edited by Weho

I just knew it, Weho would be the first to react on this! Some things in life still can be predictable :-)

I agree by the way about the roast beef, looks great, tastes great and very cheap (I believe about 16thb per slice which is approx. the same as rice with Teryaki in Fuji). And did you ever try their Muffin with Almonds? But why on earth did they (after 1 try about 1,5years ago) never make those coconut 'roches' anymore??? :-)

On Tuesday (I waited so long because as I mentioned, I tought/hoped/expected it to be a one-time-incident until I saw a second violation of hygiene yesterday) nor yesterday I started yelling or calling managers, CEO's, marketing representatives, government officials, being afraid that they would take my picture, post it here with the comment "the real identity of Weho finally disclosed". That would be such an insult to you that I tought it justified my silence (and the danger of public health). So be it, Mea Culpa.

The fact that I even mentioned the approximate time of both incidents was because I learn a lot from your postings, it can be the small details that make the difference. As the Thais would say "Koop khun maak Ajarn"

It doesn't surprise me that they would pull that. I can attest that Carrefour's fresy sliced roast beef is of excellent quality, top, middle, and bottom.

I'm sure you brought it to the manager's attention, accused them of fraud, screamed as loud as you could to call attention to the scam, hoping that no one else in the future would also be deceived... if not, you're just as guilty as Carrefour.

I'm curious to know why you felt it important to state the incident occurred "last Tuesday"... seems odd to me to wait almost a full week to vent it out. Have you been stewing the whole time? Regardless, I appreciate your posting this. It's a good first step.

That's what you get for shopping in a French-flavoured supermarket.

The french know nothing about the basic quality of the raw materials - they disguise everything under fancy sauces.

All is outward appearance - no consideration for solid quality of goods.

I don't buy anything in Carrefours meat counter anymore. Every time it's a fight to have them cut the meat thin, either it's 3-4 mm thick chunks or it's mush. Trying to explain it to the staff just get you :o

Foodland have no such problem, I don't even have to say anything, they cut the meat to perfection every time.

I'm with Phil on this. I have stopped shopping at Carrefour altogether. Foodland, Villa, Big C, Tesco, Makro in that order. Cold cuts & processed meat products always good at Foodland & reasonable selection too.

Soundman.

That's what you get for shopping in a French-flavoured supermarket.

The french know nothing about the basic quality of the raw materials - they disguise everything under fancy sauces.

All is outward appearance - no consideration for solid quality of goods.

Jose Beauvais would be spinning in his grave , were he dead that is.

If any people have made almost a cult of the produce of the land (le terroir) it is the French.

To echo another poster , did you ever get beyond Paris ?

:o

PS If anybody's got shares in Carrefour dump them now before Weho gets on their case.

Edited by farangsay

phoning broker as i order an apéritif ,

anyone else ?

edit

PS If anybody's got shares in Carrefour dump them now before Weho gets on their case.

in reply to soundman

Edited by Mid

phoning broker as i order an apéritif ,

anyone else ?

What's that got to do with dodgy ham? :o:D

While you're offering I'll take 50k PTTeP @ 68 & a Black with Coke.

Soundman.

Brokers work on Saturday nights? I'll have a nice shiraz, please.

I just emailed your complaint to Carrefour - Pattaya.

No information about Thaivisa or your handle were sent, only the story.

http://www.carrefour.co.th/english/contact_location18.php

Complaining here works!!

My gf bought Dutch Mill yogurt.

One cup had only 115 cc NOT 150cc of yogurt.

I emailed them.

Next day, they called an sent a replacement cup.

The next day, they sent over 8 free cups.

Now, they deliver all of our dairy products.

As of a year ago, the lady who was the top secretary to the boss there came down out of her office to meet me concerning a complaint I had. I am not one to speak highly about their selection or their quality, but my complaints have been answered better than at Big C or Foodland. I think Friendship operates well also.

In short, take it to their attention!!!

I don't like much about Pattaya, but I do think you've got a better Carrefour than us. Our has no meat slicing facility, the bakery churns out shitty cream cakes and sugary bread and there are more sparrows flying around inside than in the whole of my Soi I think,.

I used to buy the cheap beef tenderloin at carrefour even to make tartar. But since about one year the quality has dropped significantly and I buy almost everything from Foodland now.

Having said that, the local lamb at Carrfour yesterday made excellent scewers for the BBQ!

• 4 weeks later...
Having said that, the local lamb at Carrfour yesterday made excellent scewers for the BBQ!

Did it take long to explain to the lamb how you wanted the skewers made? As it was a local lamb, did you have to speak Thai to it?

Jose Beauvais would be spinning in his grave , were he dead that is.

If any people have made almost a cult of the produce of the land (le terroir) it is the French.

To echo another poster , did you ever get beyond Paris ?

Worked for Saunier Duval in Paris.

Worked for Dumez in Lyons and Indonesia.

Worked for Campenon Bernard in Paris, then SGEN (subsidiary) in Nigeria.

Used to wind up the Dumez PM with comments about wines (he considered himself an expert)

In Indonesia I was the only Brit working for Dumez - but the GEC-Alsthom JV that was installing the power plant equipment was half-and-half. And not one frog would speak to any ros'bif and vice versa.

To do my job I had to act as interpreter come messenger to our client every day.

Oh, and fifty years ago I spent a year as a 'debutante' (semi-pro bike rider) hoping to become a star. Never made it. Went back to rugby, where I was reasonably good.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't buy anything in Carrefours meat counter anymore. Every time it's a fight to have them cut the meat thin, either it's 3-4 mm thick chunks or it's mush. Trying to explain it to the staff just get you :o

Foodland have no such problem, I don't even have to say anything, they cut the meat to perfection every time.

where is 'villa' dont know that one?