Samed

MartinB

I normally stay at Hat Wong (Von?) Deun just down from Hat Sai Kaew. I stay at the Malibu Beach Resort (has swimming pool) , if you over night in Pattaya on the way there you could use Malibu Travel (opposite soi 13 on 2nd road) they have thier own minibus to take you there and own ferry and the beach resort belongs to them. One stop will take care the lot! Wong Deun itself has decent nightlife and bbqs on beach at night.....take a friend with you, you wont get one there! Bungalows run about 1200b a night ,ferry 100b return and minibus 400b return from memory (havnt been for a year so prices may be out slightly. Reason i say overnight in Pattaya is minibus leaves at 7am and it/ll give you chance to book it. :o

I would also recommend Wong Deun beach, have stayed there many times now, always had a good time, nice beach with some bars, and good seafood BBQ's on the beach, my favorite bar is The Baywatch Bar which is run by a guy called Robert, good food and drink.

Haven't stayed at Malibu Beach but it always looks nice, have stayed at Wong Deun Villa which has bungalows for approx bt700 with fan and air con a bit more expensive ( that was high season so may be discounted now ) and have also stayed at Tarn Tawan Bungalows which is on the next beach ( about 2-3 min walk from wong Deun ), no air con and very basic but only bt500, very clean and very friendly staff, also in a nice quiet location, they can also arrange a speedboat transfer to or from the island for about bt300 each.

It all depends on your budget really and what level of accomodation you would like.

Don't think much of Hat Sai Kaew

totster

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I prefer AO PRAO RESORT

I find the other side of samed (ie: had sai khao ...et al), too full of european package tourists, hippys/backpackers,guitar carrying whiskey swilling thai hooligans,thao hua ngoos + companions. Also quite dirty, lots of festering rubbish lying around.

Each to their own, but we like the luxury,quality,service at Ao Prao,private boat transfer etc.... Not a world class beach resort, but pretty good for a weekend getaway from BKK.

Pen - Agree that there is a lot of rubbish laying around just like every other Island here! Be very interested if you could point me in the direction of a rubbish free Island. I am into walking and found the Malibu location excellent. You can leave the resort and turn left and walk to Ao Lung Wang, Ao Tubtim, Ao Phai and Had Saikaew each beach is joined by a well-signed path. Leave the resort turn right and you can visit Lung dam, Ao Wai, Ao Kiu and Ao Pakarang this route does involve some walking on rocking terrain, but is not difficult and the beaches are empty and the water crystal.

Re Ao Prao – I stayed there about 2 years ago agree that the place is pleasurable if you just want to laze around the beach and pool. Now that I have seen both sides I would recommend the Ao Prao for sunbathing and reading - a total chill out, and the other side for adventure and excitement.

Thanks again to all and especially Thaiflyer.

PS I never encountered any European package tourists, hippys/backpackers,guitar carrying whiskey swilling Thai hooligans,thao hua ngoos + companions, but I did see a lot of dogs, again just like any other Thai Island

cheers