Grab or Bolt Taxis.

NoshowJones

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can’t you plug it into either of the Apps and it’ll tell you ?

i.e. I just plugged it into BOLT and its quoting ±1500 baht... 

.. all if this depends on the driver being prepared to take the journey.

I got a taxi from the rank over a year ago and paid 1,250 Baht including the tolls. I don't know anything about the Thai taxi service, but why should a driver not be prepared to take you to Pattaya, unless he is near the end of his shift.

I think I will get a taxi off the rank for 1,500Bt including the tolls. I have never tried Grab or Bolt before.

14 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

but why should a driver not be prepared to take you to Pattaya, unless he is near the end of his shift.

Potential problems getting a fair back. Obviously many are happy to do so, but there are a number that are reluctant too.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I got a taxi from the rank over a year ago and paid 1,250 Baht including the tolls. I don't know anything about the Thai taxi service, but why should a driver not be prepared to take you to Pattaya, unless he is near the end of his shift.

I think I will get a taxi off the rank for 1,500Bt including the tolls. I have never tried Grab or Bolt before.

If he doesn't find a customer back from Pattaya to Bangkok he will lose money. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

but why should a driver not be prepared to take you to Pattaya, unless he is near the end of his shift.

One of the reasons I can think of is that the don’t want the journey back & they prefer to remain local.

I guess its an individual decision by the driver.

There is also a difference between GrabCar and GrabTaxi - its the same APP.. but you can specify a car (i.e. someones private car) rather than a Taxi.... With GrabCar you’ll get a better vehicle (in most cases, but could end upon with a tiny little Mazda 2 (The App will tell you what kind of car you are getting and you can cancel if you don’t want that car).

As another poster mentioned booking privately - IMO thats a much better option. Using a service recommended by posters on this forum. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't know anything about the Thai taxi service, but why should a driver not be prepared to take you to Pattaya, unless he is near the end of his shift.

Perhaps because there will be no chance of a return fare without a real risk to his vehicle or life by the local taxi mafia?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1