Changing annual visa

9 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

If you are over 50 you would qualify for 12 month extensions based on retirement.

800,000 in a Thai bank or proof of 65,000 Baht a month.

She is already on overstay.
She needs to exit and re-enter with a new Visa before even approaching Immigration.
Preferably, a new Non O.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Immigration can be flexible in most cases such as this one.

Agreed, they can, but they could also fine her for overstaying.
I assume she'll require time to sort the financial details from the passing of her husband.

As she piggybacked her husbands' extension, the 800K will be in his sole name.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Offialy your extension ended on the day they passed away. But immigration will not know about it unless you inform them.

Before your extension expires you will need to leave the country and enter with new visa.

My visa ends in September. Who can determine my legal rights to stay in Thailand? Is this a legal matter?

1 minute ago, liana3legend said:

My visa ends in September. Who can determine my legal rights to stay in Thailand? Is this a legal matter?

It's not really a legal matter. 

As you are over 50 you could obtain an extension based on retirement.

I'm not sure if you will need to exit Thailand. 

I'm guessing here....you may need to exit Thailand and reenter via exempt and from that obtain a non O retirement.

For that you would require 800k in bank account in your name only.

Subsequently you could obtain 12 month extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not really a legal matter. 

As you are over 50 you could obtain an extension based on retirement.

I'm not sure if you will need to exit Thailand. 

I'm guessing here....you may need to exit Thailand and reenter via exempt and from that obtain a non O retirement.

For that you would require 800k in bank account in your name only.

Subsequently you could obtain 12 month extension.

Thanks a bunch! But in order to have money in the bank account, I need time to arrange all the other matters first, i.e. file a court rearing to execute my husband's Thai will. According to my attorney, it will take at least 3 months. Consequently, I thought as long as my visa expires in September, I could take my time. I was wrong.

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't think you are wrong.

Immigration will not be aware of situation and won't cause an issue.

Immigration could be aware of the situation, therein lies the problem.

It's usual for hospitals to notify Immigration when a foreigner deceases, so they can notify the national's Embassy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know the police do the notification not Immigration.

Come on, Joe, Immigration are police.
The last police officer I saw in a hospital after a foreigner deceased, collecting details, was one of the local Immigration officers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't think you are wrong.

Immigration will not be aware of situation and won't cause an issue.

Depending on your financial situation you could (as I mentioned earlier) at some point exit Thailand (do not buy a reentry permit) and reenter visa exempt.

The pathway to obtaining a non O and extension has been discussed in many threads.

Of  course you would require the 800k in your bank account on day you apply for the non O .

That gives you a 90 day stamp. 

Obtain 12 month extension in last 30 days of that stamp.

You certainly have a lot on your plate. Best of luck. 

Thanks a million! Just got back from the immigration office, and I was informed that I could stay in Thailand before my visa expires. After I have left however, I should obtain a non-O, and the rest is exactly what you have described ... 800,000 .... 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Unfortunately, he failed to mention you'd require proof of 12 x 65K overseas transfers for a 1-year extension.

Thanks for adding! Very much appreciated. I can start accumulating the transfer data as of this month (or next month). If the time period is still not enough, I just leave Thailand once again before I have gotten all the required data. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, liana3legend said:

Thanks for adding! Very much appreciated. I can start accumulating the transfer data as of this month (or next month). If the time period is still not enough, I just leave Thailand once again before I have gotten all the required data. 

You need (one year 12month) of transfers. I believe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Others have offered their baht's worth and it sounds as if your local immigration office is very sympathetic. Well done you for being courageous enough to go in and ask.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's bad enough when you know the ropes. Wishing you all the best going forward

Thanks for your kind words! My thoughts were "If I have to pay a fine for overstaying, I want to know how much...."

3 minutes ago, liana3legend said:

Thanks for your kind words! My thoughts were "If I have to pay a fine for overstaying, I want to know how much...."

Fine for overstay is 500baht per day.

That won't occur in your situation .

Right now use your current permission of stay (think you mentioned September?) to take care of immediate issues such as organizing funds that at some point you can have in a Thai bank account in your name only in the future.

Obviously legal matters to get underway for husband's will etc.

Prior to expiry of your current permission of stay exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt or tourist visa. That entry can be extended by 30 days and in that time you organize your non O retirement.

If financials in that time frame are not possible you could have the non O and extension taken care of by agent. 

That's an added cost and just a fall back position if financials not possible. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fine for overstay is 500baht per day.

That won't occur in your situation .

Right now use your current permission of stay (think you mentioned September?) to take care of immediate issues such as organizing funds that at some point you can have in a Thai bank account in your name only in the future.

Obviously legal matters to get underway for husband's will etc.

Prior to expiry of your current permission of stay exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt or tourist visa. That entry can be extended by 30 days and in that time you organize your non O retirement.

If financials in that time frame are not possible you could have the non O and extension taken care of by agent. 

That's an added cost and just a fall back position if financials not possible. 

Thanks a MILLION! Your additional inputs are very very kind and thoughtful.

• Thumbs Up 1