Recommend a good electronics store that sells 220V->120V step down transformers?

PadPrikKhing

I've been searching for hours on Lazada and Shopee, and it's just frustrating. Many of the ones there are overpriced and/or will take too long to deliver because they're coming from China or whatever. Are there stores in town that sell these of decent quality?

I need one that handles 500W of the more heavy duty type that has a metal box construction, and a smaller one that handles only 100W... that one could be one of the little plastic ones, as the use case will be occasional, for a mere 40W device, and I will never leave it running unattended (actually I won't leave any of them, of any wattage, unattended).

I also don't want to hoof it all over town looking at places that might or might not carry these (hence my appeal here for personal experience/recommendations). I'm living in in San Sai now, without a car or motorbike, so when I need to make forays into town to get things, I need specific info or I burn a lot of money running around. Thanks in advance.

step-down.png

step-down-small.png

2 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Amorn has these, google your local "Amorn" electronics store.

Take note: the Amorn shown as being in with Tesco Lotus at Ruam Choke / Mee Choke no longer exists, even though it's still listed on their website.  One would best go to their location on the north side of the moat.

7 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Good luck, unless it's hard wired . Some Thai will come along when you are not watching and plug your 110V device into the 220V and that will be the end of that. Been there done it.

Won't happen, as I live alone and no one will be plugging things in except me. I will also be securing things so that even I can't make that error.

Edited by PadPrikKhing

SOME  110v devices can be opened and the circuit can be modified simply to be 240v. Basically the circuit for 110v uses a voltage doubler design and by switching back to normal bridge rectifier brings it back to 240v compatible. Should be some YouTube vids on the matter. 

6 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

I've used RS Components in Thailand and Singapore quite a few times.  Very professional, product range is amazing, and delivery fast.  Take a look there.  They have quite a range of step-down transformers

https://th.rs-online.com/web/

I must be missing something... all I see there is builder/industrial type stuff and technical things. I'm just looking to run my Sony stereo receiver. I think I need something very much like the one in the photo I posted...?

3 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

SOME  110v devices can be opened and the circuit can be modified simply to be 240v. Basically the circuit for 110v uses a voltage doubler design and by switching back to normal bridge rectifier brings it back to 240v compatible. Should be some YouTube vids on the matter. 

Sounds interesting, but I don't think I want to crack open my Sony receiver.

9 hours ago, bluejets said:

First obvious question would be , what do you intend to use it for, as there may well be ( and usually are these days) an alternative approach.

I want to use a 500W one to run a Sony stereo receiver that I shipped over here (I know, I know...) that draws 220W max power. I don't want to use a 300W transformer with it, as that's not enough margin for my taste. Also, 500W models are only a couple of hundred baht more than 300W models. So that one would only be in use when I watch TV or a movie and run sound through it. The smaller one I am going to use to just run a small 40W dry herb vaporizer, and it, again, will always be "supervised" when on.

8 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Sounds interesting, but I don't think I want to crack open my Sony receiver.

I used to have an older Sony surround receiver with a little switch inside the case for 110/220v. Although I never had any need for it, it was easily accessible after unscrewing the metal case. You might google your model and see if it also has this switch. This is a way simpler solution than buying and hooking up a bulky transformer.