Looking for good SAFE cycling runs 10-40 km from Hang Dong

nglodnig

I cycle up to the 3035 and then follow it until it meets the 108 and then cycle back through San Patong, but (even with my new radar, which tells me if something is 140 metres away so I look at my mirror and decide whether they are going to squash me or not) am aware it is not the safest.

Anybody know of a good SAFE route? I've used the cycle path along the canal road 121 to Chiang Mai but it is spotty at best and often blocked on market days. Also it disappears about five kilometres from CM - you're on your now kiddo! Jordee!

Also go down through Ban Tawai and turn right and follow the Ping and then back on the 108 again - the river road is quite quiet.

Sometimes go left and follow it the other way into CM town and then back on the 108.

But I am painfully conscious it just needs one idiot to cream me.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1

It only took a couple of bicycle rides to convince me that I don't want to share the road with Thai drivers.... Especially on narrow streets....Not only do the car drivers seem to not care about bicyclists, the motorcy riders squeeze your space - some passing so close they rock you with their airstream.....A a difference in speed of 30+kph there's no doubt of the outcome should the two meet while sharing the minimal space....

I put it at 50/50 on road/traffic conditions & some just want to buzz the tower & intimidate the farang rider.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the useful replies on routes, and also the usual TV stuff of people offering their opinions about how they wouldn't do what I was suggesting - can't remember asking for that... ???? You mean Thai roads are DANGEROUS for cyclists? Hooda fort it ???? 

• Like 1

I've used the cycling path next to the 121 for years. It's never been blocked due to a market. Do you mean at the 700 year stadium? Just cycle right through. 

At the junction, just before cowboy riding club, turn left towards Huai Tung Tao, follow that road about 100m then turn right and you can follow the path in the woods, goes round in a circle. You used to be able to get through a gap in the fence and go on to Huai Tung Tao itself, but it's been blocked up. 

All the dogs are cyclist friendly, quite courteous infact.

I used to cycle round the university, but been chased by dogs there once to often.

• Like 1

I use Komoot to plan my cycling routes in Thailand. Set it for a gravel bike and it shows me dirt tracks I can use to avoid busy roads. It is reasonably accurate for Thailand. There is an option to provide feedback on the routes so that the maps can be updated. It is free but you can also get an enhanced version for a one time payment of about 40 euros I think. Google maos is good for minor roads but does not cover off road tracks to the same extent as Komoot. Komoot also gives you a profile of your route showing the % grades - good for replanning to avoid steep hills. 

p. s. I also have a Varia radar for my bike. Expensive but the best investment I have made for cycling on the roads of Thailand. 

• Like 1

Soi Ban Ram isn't too bad either. It's left of the 121 and runs parallel with. It's quite scenic and shaded too. I sometimes use it in favor of the 121 on my motorcycle.

From your end, it brings you out on to Suthep Road at the back end of the university.

There's only one 'attack dog' that I have come across, just up the steep hill by 'Corner Coff' cafe.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marcous said:

I've used the cycling path next to the 121 for years. It's never been blocked due to a market.

Is there another cycle path on the 121? The one I'm thinking of is where the 3035 meets the 121 (Samoeng crossroads 1269?)  and the 121 goes round CM,  on the west side, we are south of Doi Suthep. The cycle path ends WELL before the Suthep Road. The 121 continues north but that is outside my territory as I usally turn right into CM Town there.

3 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Is there another cycle path on the 121? The one I'm thinking of is where the 3035 meets the 121 (Samoeng crossroads 1269?)  and the 121 goes round CM,  on the west side, we are south of Doi Suthep. The cycle path ends WELL before the Suthep Road. The 121 continues north but that is outside my territory as I usally turn right into CM Town there.

Ah, yes we are talking about different paths. The one I meant starts at the convention centre and goes north to Huai Tueng Thao. It runs next to the 121 but quite far from it, next to a service road, which is pretty quiet.

In any case, Soi Ban Ram which I mentioned above is not far from where you're talking about. Look for 'Mekong community institute. ' You turn left off the 121 and go up the hill then left at Banpong Noi school.

• Like 1

I lived near Hang Dong for a couple of months about 8 years ago. Out of Hang Dong town I took  a right to the parallel road to the 108, turned right somewhere along there and went in to the hills. I am sorry, cannot remember enough to guide you precisely. I also spent three years around San Patong until 2017 and found plenty of places to do my biking - nearly every day. I went through lovely countryside and I went through a few villages.

Having said that without actually helping you much, you could easily do what I did - I had to find ways that one might say is a route, by simply going along a bit of a main road anywhere and take any turning off right or left and just see where it takes you. I didn't use GPS in those days but now, you can see where you are at any moment and try out a few of the roads that you can see on the map. When you get home, the GPS will have tracked wherever you went including the dead ends or roads that took you back to a main road, and make adjustments next time out. It won't be long before you have found something you like.

As far as being "safe" is concerned that is mainly you! I have been biking in many places in Thailand covering probably around 70,000kms in 15 years. I have never had any kind of accident - in fact I have never even fallen off my bike. Have I been lucky? Yes a bit, but many accidents happen arising from a bit of bad luck - being in the wrong place at the wrong time.   But I am certainly not complacent!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 2:51 AM, DSBones said:

I also have a Varia radar for my bike. Expensive but the best investment I have made for cycling on the roads of Thailand.

Cost me approx. 100 euros but yes essential for Thai road cycling I've found (I've just bought it). Gives me lots of false positives but better than false negatives! ????

Edited by nglodnig