Work permit holders have to report every 3-6 mos?

Anyone know anything about foreigners with Thai work permits having to submit a report every 3-6 months to confirm they are working in line with the details of their work permit?  I've not heard of this before, but the Department of Employment (DoE) Director-General is being quoted in local press as saying this is required.

What report is this? Can't quote that particular article here unfortunately due to forum rules. 

• Like 1

I noticed that in the last line of a BP article about Chinese setting up illegal businesses.

My guess is that this requirement has been on the books for years but hasn't been enforced since the 1970s.  It's not unusual for the high ranking officials to have no clue as to what the day to day procedures actually are.

Either that or this is going to be a new requirement that will be imposed upon everyone because of shifty Chinese gangsters working in Thailand.

Edited by Callmeishmael
  • Thumbs Up 1

Work Permit holders are required (and have been for years) to report to Immigration every 90 Days, the report has to contain a number of Employer documents.

Maybe that has been changed with the advent of the on-line reporting system, i.e. use Immigration on-line report need to report to WP Office as well.

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

Work Permit holders are required (and have been for years) to report to Immigration every 90 Days, the report has to contain a number of Employer documents.

Maybe that has been changed with the advent of the on-line reporting system, i.e. use Immigration on-line report need to report to WP Office as well.

Thanks, but I think this article is discussing something different.  Pretty sure the 90 day Immigration report you're referencing is for visa extensions (an Immigration issue), and not for work permits (a Labour Dept issue). For example, when I held a NonB visa I did the 90 day reporting at Immigration, but not once did they ask for a copy of my work permit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Misty said:

Thanks, but I think this article is discussing something different.  Pretty sure the 90 day Immigration report you're referencing is for visa extensions (an Immigration issue), and not for work permits (a Labour Dept issue). For example, when I held a NonB visa I did the 90 day reporting at Immigration, but not once did they ask for a copy of my work permit.

When I was on a Non-B the school had to provide a pack of papers to be given to Immigration along with my 90 day (TM47) and copies of my passport.

I was suggesting that maybe it's this pack that has to go separately to the Labour Dept when using the Immigration on-line reporting system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

When I was on a Non-B the school had to provide a pack of papers to be given to Immigration along with my 90 day (TM47) and copies of my passport.

I was suggesting that maybe it's this pack that has to go separately to the Labour Dept when using the Immigration on-line reporting system.

Could be.  Maybe a different situation.  In my case 90 day Immigration reporting was just a single page form that only went to Immigration. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Misty said:

Could be.  Maybe a different situation.  In my case 90 day Immigration reporting was just a single page form that only went to Immigration. 

Have done 90 day reports in 5 different offices and all have wanted a completed TM47 form and a copy of my passport, even when applying in person on a retirement extension.

4 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Have done 90 day reports in 5 different offices and all have wanted a completed TM47 form and a copy of my passport, even when applying in person on a retirement extension.

Yes, I agree, this report isn't about the 90 day Immigration report. It must be something else.

On 1/21/2023 at 4:41 PM, Misty said:

Lots of assumptions and speculations by people who aren't well informed and mixing of different government agencies and nothing official about anything.

Wait for the real and specific information issued by a proper authority.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Lots of assumptions and speculations by people who aren't well informed and mixing of different government agencies and nothing official about anything.

Wait for the real and specific information issued by a proper authority.

Indeed. Just to clarify, the quotation in my OP was asking if anyone here had heard about a specific work permit requirement mentioned by Department of Employment (DoE) Director-General in local English press.

1 hour ago, Misty said:

Indeed. Just to clarify, the quotation in my OP was asking if anyone here had heard about a specific work permit requirement mentioned by Department of Employment (DoE) Director-General in local English press.

There is currently no such requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought it had to hit the Royal Gazette before the panic ensued. :wai:

As speculated, in MAY be a 'heads-up' of something in the pipeline as its announcement (article quote) came shortly after "Big Joke" started hauling in the head honchos from immigration and labor.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:49 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Work Permit holders are required (and have been for years) to report to Immigration every 90 Days

Thats BS. You clearly do not know what you're talking about. 

I only go to immigration once a year to submit the same pile of photocopies for my marriage ext renewal. And yes, I've had a wp for yrs

13 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I always thought it had to hit the Royal Gazette before the panic ensued. :wai:

As speculated, in MAY be a 'heads-up' of something in the pipeline as its announcement (article quote) came shortly after "Big Joke" started hauling in the head honchos from immigration and labor.

Not sure about the "panic ensuing" part  : ) .  But when running a small Thai business it's always best to get the full story on any required regulation (new or old) as soon as possible. Kind of keeps the panic at bay when the Revenue Department, the DBD, Immigration, Labor, Social Security, AMLO, and/or other financial regulators randomly show up at your office to make checks (yes, pretty much had them all....)