Most maskless places in Thailand or ASEAN?

FarAway

Hi,

wanna take my family on a holiday within Thailand or ASEAN region.

We have a 2 year old child and don’t wanna see many masked faces like in most of Thailand or Japan.

We would like to see nature, no cities. And things to do with our 2 year old child.

Are there any places in Thailand right now which are maskless or at least just the few odd ones? Indoor and Outdoor.

I know about Phangan but don’t like the leftist hippie tantra vibe there.

Otherwise, which countries in ASEAN are (almost) maskless?

I know about Laos, but nothing to do there. How is the mask situation in the other neighboring countries? 

Thanks

99% of Thais are in favor of wearing masks. It's Thai culture now.

Not wearing a mask might get Thais worried about your attitude towards their country.

I would NOT recommend Thailand now if you are anti-masks.    711, Big C, most places, masks...

no masks, you get the evil eye!!!!!!!  lol

• Like 1

We are living in Thailand.

In a place where even Thais do not wear masks, they just did a few months here.

But as it’s a kinda small island and we are bored, I wanna take my family somewhere else for a holiday.

Europe is freaking cold right now.
South America too far, don’t wanna have two endless flights with a 2 year-old. USA my wife needs visa.

Africa is not my cup of tea outside of the Safari-season.

So not much left. Places like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and so on still freaking cold, Russia the same.

Australia I do not wanna support with one cent after what they did to their citizens during the last 3 years.

So yeah, I came to the conclusion that it must be somewhere here in the region.

I know in Laos they are still kinda connected to their natural senses and do not wear masks, but there it’s even more boring than on our little island lol.

is there really no country in the region where they stopped wearing masks beside Laos? They really wanna do this forever? ????????????

Thought of Vanuatu, but it’s basically the same as here on the island lol

I agree that masks are the most important thing when planning a holiday, OP has already scanned the whole planet. 

I suggest  Myanmar.

It's in the region, and it's not a small island. 

It's not boring like Laos, for sure.

They are not as cruel to their citizens as Australia. 

And people have other worries than wearing a mask. 

Maybe you will like it and stay there forever?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We just returned from Cambodia and mask wearing was very few, no pressure at all in the temple sights, or Pub street or daytime sidewalking.  

Angkor wat staying in Siem Reap is an amazing time.  Just hope you can ignore plastic trash and not pristine nature. Pretty clean at the temple sights but sometimes it looked like a garbage dump 200 meters away from the entrance. 

Edited by Elkski

5 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

99% of Thais are in favor of wearing masks. It's Thai culture now.

Not wearing a mask might get Thais worried about your attitude towards their country.

I would NOT recommend Thailand now if you are anti-masks.    711, Big C, most places, masks...

no masks, you get the evil eye!!!!!!!  lol

You're probably a bit paranoid, thinking you get an evil eye for not wearing a mask, or you're in the wrong part of Thailand.

I've been maskless since July 1 in Pattaya. I was at the immigration office on Thursday - it was packed. Only the Thai staff and a few foreigners who worry too much were wearing face masks.

In this neck of the woods there's no problems to go about your business maskless. In general, Thais wear masks, foreigners don't. There are no evil eyes. The Thai people are protecting themselves from us and protecting us from them. It's win-win.

Most places in Thailand now where falang frequently visits have little masks now except 50-70% of the locals.

Less masks in tourist areas in Vietnam at the moment as far as I could see those places I visited.

Or go to Canary Islands, getting nice there now. Weather and temperature and only masks on public transports and pharmacy etc and other public places.

27 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What you describe is specific to Pattaya and othrr places with heavy farang presence.

Upcountry absolutely everyone is masked and a lone maskless foreigner definitely causes a negative reaction. 

Absolutely true.

I normally wear a mask, but only when driving (unless I am coming up to a check point) I don't.

So I was in the car waiting as my wife went to the 7/11. She called me and said "she forgot her wallet". So I stepped out of the car (maskless) and went into the 7/11 to give my wife the wallet, immediately 3 staff member started shouting "MASSSSSSKKKKKKK"

So I stopped called my wife over and gave her the wallet and walked back to the car

Ps: Not Pattaya but up country Isarn

Edited by MJCM

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What you describe is specific to Pattaya and othrr places with heavy farang presence.

Upcountry absolutely everyone is masked and a lone maskless foreigner definitely causes a negative reaction. 

I did mention that he might be living in the wrong place. I'm sure the OP is interested in visiting places where foreign tourists go, and not wearing a mask will be quite ok, and his chidlren will see most other tourists are mask free.