Poor air quality reported in 36 areas of Bangkok and suburbs on Monday

webfact

image.png

Air quality in 36 areas of Bangkok on Monday is below the safety standard, with the amount of PM2.5 dust exceeding the50 micron standard, according to the air4thai Facebook page of the Department of Pollution Control.

The amount of PM2.5 ranges from 34 to 68 microns, with Liab Waree Road in Nong Chok District and Ma Charoen Road in Nong Kham District recording the highest levels, at 68 microns.

Other areas in which the amount of PM 2.5 exceeds 50 microns are:

• Sihaburanakit Road in Min Buri District
• Khlong Sam Wa District
• Nakhon Pathom sub-district
• Srinagarind Road in Prawet District 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/poor-air-quality-reported-in-36-areas-of-bangkok-and-suburbs-on-monday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Air quality in 36 areas of Bangkok on Monday is below the safety standard, with the amount of PM2.5 dust exceeding the50 micron standard, according to the air4thai Facebook page of the Department of Pollution Control

Usual news for this time of year, the rains have stopped so up goes the air pollution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Just another aspect of BKK that I adore. The air wasn't too flash driving up to Korat either but it seemed visually pretty clear once we arrived.

Bangkok gets this at this time of year every year... For the rest of the year the pollution is no worse than any other capital city (better than London and Paris a lot of the time).

If I understand correctly, pollution control department is taking only numbers from their official measuring stations. I was at Lumpini today (with AQI 180+ Bangkok average) and nearest measuring station AirVisual app picked up was Chulalongkorn hospital 100m away. Showed AQI of 17.... Yeah, right. I even checked when data was collected and it claimed less than 10 min ago...

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bangkok gets this at this time of year every year... For the rest of the year the pollution is no worse than any other capital city (better than London and Paris a lot of the time).

Maybe true, but in the past it only got it for 1-2 months a year, now it's in 100+ for 6 months or more in a year already. It's like this since October and bound to stay like this until probably May or June... That's not the same as previous years. In fact it started getting considerably worse about 10 years ago. Before that it was reasonable and not so long lasting (I say this as someone who used air filters in rooms since 2003 and pm2.5 meter since 2003 or 2004).

• Thumbs Up 1

More bad air today for BKK:

Screenshot_1.jpg.4e89546eded68db547a6017025cd2d36.jpg

https://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

The other thing to note is that Thailand's above 50 micrograms threshold for PM2.5 pollution reaching the "unhealthy for sensitive people" is artificially high....

In the U.S. and elsewhere, for example, the threshold for unhealthy for sensitive people air pollution is 35.5 micrograms of PM2.5.

It's the same as having a higher blood alcohol level before you declare someone guilty of DUI.  By having a higher air pollution trigger threshold, Thailand avoids having to declare pollution alerts that would be declared elsewhere.

• Like 1

On the bad days, I have always worn a mask, a KN95 or N95 type, to keep my lungs

and throat from being itchy. I had tourists ask me why, but never

had any Thais ask. Hmmm, wonder why?

COVID is not the only reason to wear a mask, I found that I never had a cold or flu

as well, because I wore a mask when I was in large crowds.  However there are

those people who just need their bare faced freedom. who will claim that

masks make them sick. Well you have to change and clean your mask if

you do not want to get the germs working against you. Just saying.

• Like 2

Here's a look at the Thailand wide picture as of today. Lots of red/bad air out there.... though the past couple days, the levels have been worse overnight and in the mornings, and then eased in the afternoons.

Screenshot_1.jpg.b54e8c4de717c840605de458f7b34487.jpg

https://aqicn.org/country/thailand/

The graphic below shows the hourly readings for Bangkok for yesterday and today:

Screenshot_2.jpg.f92d26baebf283991c578259e1b4f0f9.jpg

https://aqicn.org/snapshot/bangkok/20230124-12/

PS - The AQICN.org charts above use the U.S./international PM2.5 pollution scale and color codings.... not the more lenient Thai government ones.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday and today seem much worse than back on 23 January. Apparently, poisonous air conditions simply have become acceptable. No big deal. I'm "unhealthy" air conditions all across the city, even in the afternoon after it has usually had time to burn away. And one spot out west is even reading "very unhealthy." Bangkok now has both China's tourists and China's bad air quality.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yesterday and today seem much worse than back on 23 January. Apparently, poisonous air conditions simply have become acceptable. No big deal. I'm "unhealthy" air conditions all across the city, even in the afternoon after it has usually had time to burn away. And one spot out west is even reading "very unhealthy." Bangkok now has both China's tourists and China's bad air quality.

Not just Bangkok...Thailand.

• Like 1