Solar and Time of Use electricity

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You get an electronic meter which records the usage at the various times.

In t' olden days you had two meters and a time clock which swapped between them or a dual reading meter which had a built-in mechanical clock (with a clockwork backup mechanism in case the juice went off).

Economy 7 Tariff Con - Electric Heating Costs

Yep I remember those.

I also remember that my Mother always did the washing late at night or very early morning.

I often asked her (when I got ready for going to school and she was doing to washing) can't you sleep, but much later on I understood why she did it at those times ????

57 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You get an electronic meter which records the usage at the various times.

In t' olden days you had two meters and a time clock which swapped between them or a dual reading meter which had a built-in mechanical clock (with a clockwork backup mechanism in case the juice went off).

Economy 7 Tariff Con - Electric Heating Costs

So my digital meter is also a T.O.U. meter ?  Wonder if they add on the extra 300 baht service charge.   As charging the EV overnight, 50kW if dead, would be around 120 baht at discount rate, but 420 if T.O.U. meter charge is applied.

Which would defeat the purpose, and actually cost more.  Need to get wife to verify, or I guess I could just charge it after hours for 5 or 10 kW, and see what the bill breakdown is.  Car is at 90% now, and meter gets read on 26/27th of the month.

Go 2kW on the meter for this month ????

Edited by KhunLA

15 minutes ago, Encid said:

Which only spins in one direction right? :cool:

Again, it depends how it's been set up. But generally, unless you have some sort of export agreement, it won't go "backwards".

Important Note: - At least one member has noted an electronic meter that counts UP when sending energy to the grid. You probably don't want one if you ever actually export.

• Like 1

Some thoughts about inverter settings to make this work.

Set battery to only charge from Solar  - you don't want to charge your battery from peak rate electricity at 9 in the morning!

House consumption: Solar first, then Battery then Utility 

1991205755_SOLBatteryUtility.jpg.24de142416d20c345d224b76be881b38.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

A cheaper option would be solar combined with cheap rate over night electricity (TOU)

600AECF5-022B-4C45-8133-0E327675D7CC.jpeg.47d056e301d057fb099286e7a33257ce.jpeg

Not worthwhile, the 312bht off peak service charge is more than my electricity usage.

Don't understand how some of you guys can have solar and still pay big grid bills.

• 3 weeks later...

Does PEA have the same TOU rates as MEA?

What factor determines which of the two rate schedules (under 12kV and 12kV - 24kV) is applicable?

We have a 3 phase hookup rather than single phase because it's two households as one service.  Is that the determining factor?

EDIT: I see on our bill that we paid 24.62 service charge so that tells me what rate we would get under TOU

Edited by gamb00ler