Driving My Car From Bkk To Malaysia

I am planning on driving my car (Thai registration in my name for more than 10 years). I want to know what documents I will need and other issues I am likely to face at the border. I have a Thai drivers licence and I will, of course, take my registration book and proof of insurance. I expect that I will need to obtain Malaysian insurance -- can this be done at the border crossing? How long can I drive the car in Malaysia before I need to bring it back across the border? Help from anyone who has specific experience or knowledge in this area will be greatly appreciated.

can't answer all your question s , this crops up regularly have a poke around .

i do know that you need translations of your number plates into English displayed on the vehicle , and insurance is available at the boarder , my belief is that a Thai license will suffice .

You'll need:

1) Registration book and a translation of it into English. There are a couple of agencies just inside the Malaysian border that can do it for you or if you stop off in Hadyai, there are a few places that translate there too.

2) Driving licence, Thai or one from the west.

3) Some people say you need an English translation of your number plate, usually on a sticker stuck to the rear of your vehicle. The last three times I've driven into Malaysia I haven't had one and nobody said anything.

4) As for insurance, you can buy that from the agencies just inside the Malaysian border. The time depends on what you want to pay, from a few days up to, I think, a max of three months (I think).

There are some other related threads on here, have a search and you'll find what you're looking for.

You'll need:

1) Registration book and a translation of it into English. There are a couple of agencies just inside the Malaysian border that can do it for you or if you stop off in Hadyai, there are a few places that translate there too.

Do we need the original Registration book? What about in case of driving a car which we are paying installments monthly i.e. still under the name of finance company. Will a translated photocopy of the registration book will suffice?

I was in Cambo, 3 moths ago. You need original registration book if you leave the country. In Hat Lek you have to deposite your registration book on the Thai border. I think it will be the same when you crossing the malaisian border. Crossing the border with cars on finance, i think is not possibile, otherwise many cars would be "disapear"

You'll need:

Do we need the original Registration book? What about in case of driving a car which we are paying installments monthly i.e. still under the name of finance company. Will a translated photocopy of the registration book will suffice?

Ask your dealer. If he knows you, then it's possible. He'll loan you the book and give you a covering letter. That's what my local dealer told me. Having said that, I've always had the books in my name when traveling into Malaysia so have no 'proof' so to speak. TIT

quote name='VTR1000' post='1393857' date='2007-07-01 19:17:51']You'll need:

Thanks -- most helpful. I am planning on crossin the border on Sunday, 15 July. I will be coming down from Hat Yai via "highway 4" and crossing the border at the Klong Phruan checkpoint around 10 AM. Do you have any tips / advice in regards to passing through this checkpoint? Is going through on Sunday a problem? I will, of course, have my passport (USA), Thai drivers license, and car registration book (w / English translation).

Never heard of Klong Phruan to be honest, but I have a feeling that you're talking about Dan Nok, just south of Sadao as that is the main crossing point into Malaysia closest to Hadyai.

Going through both customs checkpoints is simple enough, just show your passport, get it stamped and you're on your way. You are sometimes required to pay a few Ringit at Malaysia so it would be best to have a little Malaysian money on you as they wouldn't accept Baht from me once. I had to send the wife up to the duty free to get some change. Once you clear the Malaysian side, almost immediately you'll see a row of shophouses on the right. Park up and you'll find an agency there. The one I use is the 3rd or 4th shophouse down, sorry, I can't remember the name of it. He'll sort you out in there. As for a Sunday, I'm not sure but I don't think you'll have any problems.

Have a good trip and you won't fail to notice the difference in the roads or driving styles! The Malaysians are also quite strict and do have police with speed detectors so take it a little easy with the gas pedal.

One other thing, there is a police checkpoint a few km's into Malaysia. Nothing to worry about.

Have a good trip.