Tax when sending money to Thai wife

Aionss88

Hello

I live in Thailand with my Thai wife and our son, I send money every month using wise from my UK bank account to her Thai bank account for our bills/living expenses. I am sure some of you have experience with this, would she be liable to pay tax on this? Would the amount that she receives have an affect?

Thank you

• Haha 1

Open a bank account in your name and send the money to this account.

Then set up a transfer from there to your wifes account (automatic payment).  That's what I do.

If you are living here surely you have a local  account to show money coming in to the immigration authorites or shouldn't I ask? ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Open a bank account in your name and send the money to this account.

Then set up a transfer from there to your wifes account (automatic payment).  That's what I do.

If there is any tax that should be technically paid on gifts to the spouse (and I don't know if there is) then it won't make a difference if the gift is made from an overseas or domestic account.

People have been doing this for years without paying tax, however. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Yes agree fully with what you say. If living here why in Gods name send it to her????? Hopefully we falangs are NOT so helpless in navigating ourselfs here in Thailand, just leaving everything to wifey?????

So your  father never gave your momma any money....really?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes but isn't that what glegolo18 is saying that the OP give her the money and not into her account, unless your father paid it into your moms account.

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Yes but isn't that what glegolo18 is saying that the OP give her the money and not into her account, unless your father paid it into your moms account.

Sorry, yes, my mis-interpretation of what was said....I'll go whip myself.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 7:33 AM, nigelforbes said:

Of course, yes, my mom always took all the money and took charge of it. No problem there. I was more into it that if problem in sending money to wifey every month and risking taxes and stuff, send the money to your self, call it monthly living expensies and voila free. and then transfer it over to wife or let her access your own thai-account...

If neither of you earned it in Thailand then it's not taxable in Thailand. Doesn't matter whose account monthly living expenses are paid out from.

Been letting the wife handle paying all the bills for 20 yrs. She enjoys it, I do not. What's the big deal? :wai:

Besides, her phone is smarter than mine. ????

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 11:01 PM, ubonr1971 said:

Is this post for real?

OP please read the footnote above of member brianthainess. 

Because farang countries are known for taxing everything. Thais are shocked when I tell them about how farang governments tax everything they can think of. Farangs are afraid to go back to their home countries for extended periods of time, or else they'd be taxed. But for self-employed / informal sector Thais: "Tax? What's that?"

Few Thais who are not employed in the formal sector actually pay taxes. The government just doesn't seem to care.

The only "tax" that you need to be aware of is that Thai banks can charge incoming transfer fees.

I got charged these rates by Siam Commercial Bank just this month since I sent money via Moneygram (better rates and lower fees, even with SCB fees) instead of Wise:

200,000 baht transfer - 300 baht fee

100,000 baht transfer - 200 baht fee

50,000 baht transfer - 150 baht fee