Nan exploratory

samuttodd

Hello all I will be in the province of Nan for a few days on my motorbike and would be interested in exploratory excursions to interesting and photogenic types of places in the area. I’ve got my cell phone GPS to guide me but I’m just not sureWhere to begin.

Any hints or ideas you can give me I’ll plug them into my GPSAnd we can go check them out.Thanks for your help

We have just come back having spent 2 days riding in the Nan mountains, a mix of great roads.

As said google a routine. 

We will be going again another time as 2 days is not enough.

Watch out for sand, dry clay and marbles on some of the tight corners. 

Apart from that the roads are perfect.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Does Nan have the same Air Quality issues as the rest of the North during burning season?

Any tips on where to sleep while doing the loop?

No problem with visibility or air at the moment, it's strawberry land. 

Again we google places to stay, lots of them at 350 - 500.

Edited by Kwasaki

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No problem with visibility or air at the moment, it's strawberry land. 

Again we google places to stay, lots of them at 350 - 500.

Also do the same.  Google Maps is one of, if not my main research tool.

You can simply search 'nan province', then select 'nearby' and enter what you are looking for; viewpoints, hotels, coffee shops, restaurants.   

As you 'zoom' scroll in, 'search this area' will appear, then you click on that, and usually get more selections.  While on the app, you can search 'along your route', if  not wanting to detour to far off your planned route, if having.

Best thing, has # of reviews, and some have ph#s, something booking sites don't have.  I use booking.com sometimes for info, then cross reference with Gmaps, or visa versa.  Wife gives a call to verify info, if isn't clear while searching those 2 sites.

Rarely book in advance, as plan is ever changing when out & about.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Also do the same.  Google Maps is one of, if not my main research tool.

You can simply search 'nan province', then select 'nearby' and enter what you are looking for; viewpoints, hotels, coffee shops, restaurants.   

As you 'zoom' scroll in, 'search this area' will appear, then you click on that, and usually get more selections.  While on the app, you can search 'along your route', if  not wanting to detour to far off your planned route, if having.

Best thing, has # of reviews, and some have ph#s, something booking sites don't have.  I use booking.com sometimes for info, then cross reference with Gmaps, or visa versa.  Wife gives a call to verify info, if isn't clear while searching those 2 sites.

Rarely book in advance, as plan is ever changing when out & about.

Yeah we use Google all the time on our bike ride outs, never book anything we just look for guesthouses when we decide enough for today. 

Out last guesthouse knocking shop place ???? to stop on our way back was just off the 101 in Wiang sa, 350 great place clean rooms. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Pua Tranquil Vista Homestay is close to both #1256 and #1081 and biker friendly.

In Nan there was no need for us to pay more than 500 for nice rooms all biker friendly tboughout the mountain road network. 

10 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Hello all I will be in the province of Nan for a few days on my motorbike and would be interested in exploratory excursions to interesting and photogenic types of places in the area. I’ve got my cell phone GPS to guide me but I’m just not sureWhere to begin.

Any hints or ideas you can give me I’ll plug them into my GPSAnd we can go check them out.Thanks for your help

I've driven much of this territory several times.  The countryside and landscapes to the NW (into northern Payao province), N, NE, and E of Nan city are some of the best that Thailand offers.  You can easily spend several days driving the roads of these areas.  Depending on the time you have available, just pick some circular routes around those areas, search for convenient stop-off accommodation, and you will have a great time

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BoganInParasite said:

And your point is?

My point is there is no need to pay more than 500 for a suitable place to stay in Nan by looking on Google Maps whenever you decide to stop for the day of your travel.  

Nan has a lot to offer and is sort of a hidden gem (in my opinion).

For the most parts most of the mountainous roads are in good condition but be careful of other drivers. Thais are known to pass on blind curves and cut across the line when making turns or going around a curve.

There are tons of coffee cafes throughout the mountains where one can stop, enjoy a drink, and take in the fabulous scenery.

Take a trip to Bo Kluea, visit the salt wells, and travel the infamous '3' highway going there.

Or perhaps venture to Pua and visit The Mushroom Farm to have a great pizza lunch.

Personally I enjoy the Nan area much more than Chiang Mai.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

My point is there is no need to pay more than 500 for a suitable place to stay in Nan by looking on Google Maps whenever you decide to stop for the day of your travel.  

You are quite right. That place does actually have a direct booking rate of 500 baht for a single guest in own air-con room with private bathroom. If the guest has previously stayed the rate is 460. Previous guest staying three or more nights the rate falls to 420. Highest guest rated accommodation in Nan province with more than 40 reviews on each of Google, Booking & Agoda. Only English style breakfast in the northern part of the province and best Thai breakfasts in Pua.