Pesticide laced 'Pot Noodles' recalled and banned by Thai FDA

webfact

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

BANGKOK: -- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of Thailand has recalled a popular brand of instant noodles after tests revealed that the noodles were contaminated with pesticides. The recall affects the "Pot Noodles" brand, which is produced by a company called "Thai President Foods".

According to the FDA, tests revealed that the instant noodles contained the pesticides chlorpyrifos and chlorpyrifos-methyl. These pesticides are commonly used in agriculture, but they are not approved for use on food products. The FDA is concerned that consuming the contaminated noodles could be harmful to human health.

The recall affects a total of 12 different flavors of Pot Noodles, which were sold in various sizes, including 60 gram, 80 gram, and 100 gram packs. The affected products were distributed throughout Thailand, including supermarkets, convenience stores, and street vendors.

The FDA has urged consumers to check the labels of the Pot Noodles they have purchased to see if they are affected by the recall. Consumers who have purchased the affected products are advised to return them to the place of purchase for a refund.

The company behind Pot Noodles, Thai President Foods, has issued an apology and pledged to take action to ensure that the incident does not happen again. The company also said it will cooperate fully with the FDA in the recall and investigation.

The incident has raised concerns about food safety in Thailand. The FDA has been criticized for not doing enough to prevent contaminated food products from reaching the market. This latest recall is not the first time that the FDA has had to recall food products that were contaminated with pesticides.

The incident has also called into question the use of pesticides in agriculture in Thailand. The country is one of the largest producers of agricultural products in Southeast Asia and is heavily dependent on the use of pesticides to protect crops. However, the use of pesticides has been linked to environmental and health problems.

The incident has also had an impact on the reputation of the "Pot Noodles" brand, which is popular among consumers in Thailand. Consumers are likely to be more cautious about purchasing the brand in the future, which could lead to a decline in sales.

The FDA has said it will continue to monitor food products in the market and conduct random testing to ensure that they meet safety standards. The agency also urged consumers to be vigilant and to report any suspicious food products to the FDA.

Overall, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of Thailand has recalled a popular brand of instant noodles after tests revealed that the noodles were contaminated with pesticides, which is not approved for use on food products.

This recall has raised concerns about food safety in Thailand and the use of pesticides in agriculture in the country, which is one of the largest producers of agricultural products in Southeast Asia.

Consumers have been advised to check the labels of the Pot Noodles they have purchased to see if they are affected by the recall and the company behind Pot Noodles, Thai President Foods, has issued an apology and pledged to take action to ensure that the incident does not happen again.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

17 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Dare not name which brand in the interest of safety.

The named the company - Thai President Food. I will tell my mama about this. 

"The company behind Pot Noodles, Thai President Foods, has issued an apology and pledged to take action to ensure that the incident does not happen again. The company also said it will cooperate fully with the FDA in the recall and investigation." 

What confuses me a little bit - in other news I can only find a Korean company that is blamed and not a Thai one. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of Thailand has recalled a popular brand of instant noodles after tests revealed that the noodles were contaminated with pesticides.

Recalled , I bet you can still find them in supermarkets ,mom & Pop stores..

If you go to their website ,in the NEWS section nothing about recall ,just all

about awards they have.

regards worgeordie

39 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Were these noodles not already banned by the Thai FDA? One would imagine that anything for human consumption that has been laced with pesticide needs banning asap.

This product didn't mange to slip through the cracks. I didn't see any punishment being dished out or even name and shamed. You can take it for granted that many things you eat in Thailand is laced with chemicals. That seems a given? Whether that's the fruit/vegtables you eat from the supermarket or eating food from the side of the road that is getting laced with contaminants from vehicles. Or most common of all Food that gets cooked over and over again in the same poisonous seed oils. I love Thai food but saying it's healthy is not true in my opinion. Maybe it was 50 years ago.

Will a farmer in rural Thailand who is often on the bread line throw away a crop if they found an issues that is non evident to a normal person?

Do you think a farmer would not choose chemicals to help get bigger crop yields? They have eaten it themselves and they are still alive so it must be safe.

Do you think there is strict testing of farmers produce in Thailand?

I am trying to source my food carefully but am aware that even buying organic in Thailand very likely has a totally different meaning to buying organic in Australia or elsewhere with higher regulations (for the most part). Maybe im wrong, I hope I am. It's just a totally different mentality over here. Its expensive to try to eat healthy in Thailand. 

Edited by Startmeup
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Recalled , I bet you can still find them in supermarkets ,mom & Pop stores..

If you go to their website ,in the NEWS section nothing about recall ,just all

about awards they have.

regards worgeordie

Do you find this story on the Web? I can only find a story about a Korean product. 

18 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

This product didn't mange to slip through the cracks. I didn't see any punishment being dished out or even name and shamed. You can take it for granted that many things you eat in Thailand is laced with chemicals. That seems a given? Whether that's the fruit/vegtables you eat from the supermarket or eating food from the side of the road that is getting laced with contaminants from vehicles. Or most common of all Food that gets cooked over and over again in the same poisonous seed oils. I love Thai food but saying it's healthy is not true in my opinion. Maybe it was 50 years ago.

Will a farmer in rural Thailand who is often on the bread line throw away a crop if they found an issues that is non evident to a normal person?

Do you think a farmer would not choose chemicals to help get bigger crop yields? They have eaten it themselves and they are still alive so it must be safe.

Do you think there is strict testing of farmers produce in Thailand?

I am trying to source my food carefully but am aware that even buying organic in Thailand very likely has a totally different meaning to buying organic in Australia or elsewhere with higher regulations (for the most part). Maybe im wrong, I hope I am. It's just a totally different mentality over here. Its expensive to try to eat healthy in Thailand. 

Occasional activated carbon tablets or capsules (or powder) may help remove toxins from the body.  Be sure to read up on this before trying.

59 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

I am trying to source my food carefully but am aware that even buying organic in Thailand very likely has a totally different meaning to buying organic in Australia or elsewhere with higher regulations (for the most part).

Just a few years ago there were some tests done on vegetables available in supermarkets and other markets, and even those labelled "organic" were found to have unacceptable levels of pesticides on them – – in fact it was suggested that because the pesticide levels on the "organic" vegetables were high, that farmers were using the term "organic" as an excuse to be able to use more pesticides, because more people would buy them thinking they were organic and because they were more expensive, the farmers made more money!!!

I actually posted about that and have never fallen for the "organic" ruse since.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Just a few years ago there were some tests done on vegetables available in supermarkets and other markets, and even those labelled "organic" were found to have unacceptable levels of pesticides on them – – in fact it was suggested that because the pesticide levels on the "organic" vegetables were high, that farmers were using the term "organic" as an excuse to be able to use more pesticides, because more people would buy them thinking they were organic and because they were more expensive, the farmers made more money!!!

I actually posted about that and have never fallen for the "organic" ruse since.

Like I mentioned, you can't paint organic label here with the organic labels elsewhere but I dont doubt what you say in regards to Thailand. It's the wild west really isn't it. The manpower is not available to ensure compliance in any industry. Best bet is to befriend some farmers who you can trust. Maybe befriend a WOOF type farmer where it's a westerner bringing skill from home country to establish a local farm here. I dont really eat vegtables so it's not something I worry about a great deal.

I think indigenous fruit that grow everywhere would have less chemicals used for production? 

Mango

Mangosteen

Pineapple 

Rambutan

Bananas

Coconut

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident has raised concerns about food safety in Thailand. The FDA has been criticized for not doing enough to prevent contaminated food products from reaching the market. This latest recall is not the first time that the FDA has had to recall food products that were contaminated with pesticides.

How about the FDA doing a proper survey of fruit and vegetables at the markets and banning all those that are above pesticide limits.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

I think indigenous fruit that grow everywhere would have less chemicals used for production? 

Hmmm..........maybe not the case, but then again one can't use a few examples as being endemic amongst Thai farmers, but I did have a friend who owned a pineapple "plantation" near Chiang Rai and I did visit him at one time, and he wanted to know if I was keen on going out with him in his truck, which was loaded up with small tanks of "whatever" in order to spray the pineapple plants.

I was reasonably keen to go out and see what was going on until he explained that he was spraying the plants with hormones which would boost their growth, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to be in the midst of a hormone spray, so I refused his offer to accompany him!!

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee65 said:

Occasional activated carbon tablets or capsules (or powder) may help remove toxins from the body.  Be sure to read up on this before trying.

It will help to remove toxins you swallowed at this time. It is normally an emergency treatment or used for diarrhea. But sure - you can take it with every noodle soup to be on the safe side ????. Perhaps they should add it to the package like other ingredients ????.

Edited by Mickeymaus

57 minutes ago, xylophone said:

hat farmers were using the term "organic" as an excuse to be able to use more pesticides,

I have to believe, naively or not, that there are farms in Thailand that try to uphold the standards. Maybe this is one.

https://kingorganicth.com/?page=vision

Vision

Our vision is to provide healthy, high quality farm and food products that meet all international standards in an environmentally friendly manner.

Mission

Our mission is to promote organic agriculture as well as R&D for agricultural products to provide clean, chemical-free food that are safe for consumption and friendly to the environment.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

The named the company - Thai President Food. I will tell my mama about this. 

"The company behind Pot Noodles, Thai President Foods, has issued an apology and pledged to take action to ensure that the incident does not happen again. The company also said it will cooperate fully with the FDA in the recall and investigation." 

What confuses me a little bit - in other news I can only find a Korean company that is blamed and not a Thai one. 

But if you visit their website, they make various different named pot noodles.