Grass.. The boring kind

Didnt the old TV have a garden sub forum ?? Anyway.. 

The grass around my pool area has always been patchy and rough, I will be decking it properly soon but as swimming seasons coming back faster than that plan is happening I want to clear the weeds and poor quality and put in a new layer. I know theres Japan (hard) nor naoi (still 'lawn style') and Malay.. I have also heard 'taiwan grass' mentioned as well as bermuda but dont think these are locally easy to get.. 

I FAR prefer malay grass.. essentially doesnt need trimming (or very little) is side running not 'up' growing and when established its soft underfoot and pleasant.. I am however told it will die in full sun and my pool area is full sun. Memory is hazy but I was sure I had this growing in full sun in a place 2 houses ago.. This or a similar feeling grass. 

Is it unworkable to plant in full sun if well watered ?? 

Are there any other options for full sun, side growth wide leaf (soft underfoot) type grass ?? 

In my experience Malay grass grows very well in full sun, but not so well in shade. Our yard is 150 wah the only bits not green and lush are shade. You do have to mow it though as it gets very thick and tall with direct sun.

5 minutes ago, marin said:

In my experience Malay grass grows very well in full sun, but not so well in shade. Our yard is 150 wah the only bits not green and lush are shade. You do have to mow it though as it gets very thick and tall with direct sun.

hmmm.. Thats counter to what I am reading online.. 

I also replanted a 20 - 30m patch with Malay and the sides that have some shade (and a corner that gets tree cover) is MUCH denser and lusher than the other bits which dont.. But it never gets watered and its getting by.. I dont mow it either but probably should in wet season, it gets 'thick' then but its an ornamental bit there not a lawn so I dont mind it being kinda deep. 

My front yard is Malay grass.
It's in full sun and thrives, providing it get a water every few days. The only dead patches are where there is full shade (under the mango tree) and where my female dog decides to have a pee!  (not the missus) 

Malay grass is easy to maintain as it 'creeps' so the runners soon cover dead patches or destroyed ant nests. A light trim in the wet season once a fortnight and

rarely touched during the dry season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 2:58 PM, LivinLOS said:

So Malay it is then.. Thanks for the help. 

Soil preparation and good water management is everything. Incorporate (rototill) vermicompost to 15cm depth or more before planting if possible. With adequate soil fertility and irrigation, ya malaysia usually does fine in the sun.  Mow it high, 3 inches, because scalping it with a krueng tat ya will expose the soil surface to sunlight and rapid drying. Mow frequently enough (weekly during the growing season)  so that you don't cut more than 1/4 to 1/3 off the top of the grass blades. More than that is physiologically stressful and a setback for consistent health and appearance. Avoid high NPK, high salt index chemical fertilizers that are detrimental for the benefical soil biology,  dessicate roots and reduce drought tolerance. Use organic fertilizers and a mulching mower that returns the grass clippings to the soil. 

As for the old TV garden subforum, this is it, the dog and snake and sometimes plant forum.  Farming in Thailand is better for more experienced and helpful growers. Almost every farm has a farmhouse and a landscape, lawns and trees, birds and bees, and growers living there.