Must Do Things In Bangkok

stanny

I have never been to the floating market, and I have lived here now for 6months and b4 that on and off for the last 5yrs.

is it any good? I've always been told not to waste my time.

I've heard there are actually 2. One is supposedly closer to Bangkok and kinda small and touristy - basically made for tourists. The other is hours away and is the real market, although fairly touristy as well.

Was interesting enough, but the only way I would go see it again is if a female friend wanted to go. Actually went to see it because my ex-gf had never been. If a male friend wanted to go, I'd try to talk him out of it. It's a little too small an experience for the long ride there and back. Basically it's all the goods you see in a food market on long thin boats. Interesting to watch how they manage to cook and sell things while moving along, but there's only so much time you can watch that.

The boat we rented took us through the market, stopping at some souvenir stand. Then it came back through the market and out into the river for a quick run, and up to a different canal that looped back to the start. Even after taking time to have lunch and walk around I think we were done in less than 1 1/2 hours.

Some of my most interesting pictures are from the market because it's pretty unique. But you have to enjoy the company of who your with because at the end of the day, it's a market.

A walk around River City to see all the antiques and some top of the range handicrafts. It's better than the National Museum!

A walk through Chinatown. Don't go sightseeing in a taxi or bus. You'll see much more and get a feel for the place if you get down to street level. That goes for everywhere.

JJ Market/The Weekend Market/Chatujak - all the same place!

I guess a tuk-tuk ride taking in the gem shops is part of the "Bangkok experience"! Just don't buy anything.

I have never been to the floating market, and I have lived here now for 6months and b4 that on and off for the last 5yrs.

is it any good? I've always been told not to waste my time.

I've heard there are actually 2. One is supposedly closer to Bangkok and kinda small and touristy - basically made for tourists. The other is hours away and is the real market, although fairly touristy as well.

Was interesting enough, but the only way I would go see it again is if a female friend wanted to go. Actually went to see it because my ex-gf had never been. If a male friend wanted to go, I'd try to talk him out of it. It's a little too small an experience for the long ride there and back. Basically it's all the goods you see in a food market on long thin boats. Interesting to watch how they manage to cook and sell things while moving along, but there's only so much time you can watch that.

The boat we rented took us through the market, stopping at some souvenir stand. Then it came back through the market and out into the river for a quick run, and up to a different canal that looped back to the start. Even after taking time to have lunch and walk around I think we were done in less than 1 1/2 hours.

Some of my most interesting pictures are from the market because it's pretty unique. But you have to enjoy the company of who your with because at the end of the day, it's a market.

Get used to the tourists, since they are EVERY wear U turn! :o

Must see for me would be Jim Thompsons house, JJ or night bazaar and a trip down the river to Wat Pho to see the reclining buddha

For different things ,which you will remember

1) Go on the Skytrain

2) Go to the Cinema and see a Thai movie

3) Go to a Food Plaza

:o Wiley Coyote

You are a 22 year old single guy!!! :o .............first things that come to mind are: NEP, Cowboy, Patpong, RCA (let me know about the last one as I have never been and have been told that I am too old). After that night you are on your own :D

On a more serious note; give the floating market a miss unless someone specifically asks you to go there; much better to take a long-tail taxi on Klong San Saep and you can get out at Pantip plaza and shop shop shop. If you take the taxi all the way to the end (outbound) you will be amazed at the lifestyle up there; if you want to continue up the klong you should be able to rent a boat privately to take you to the water gate at Bang Chan and you will see some sites most people on TV have never seen.

Stroll through Lumpini park with your camera; guarantee you won't regret it.

Check out the snake farm near Silom....great way to spend Sat or Sunday mornings.

Or; if you like pool you could start at Sukhumvit Soi 1 and go to Soi 33 and hit a different pool bar every night of the week and when you have done them all, turn around and do them all again as most of them will be with a new owner (don't forget to do all the ones down the sois as well).

Head up to Koh Kret; wonderful stuff on sale there and the island is mostly Mon people.

I am sure you will find tons of things to do.

Actually; someone should start a thread about what/where/who to avoid in Bangkok.

• 6 months later...
Hi all, I am a newbie coming to Bangkok for the first time. Can some of you list some of the must do things down? Thanks!

Get out as fast as you can and visit real Thailand.

BKK is like London........ little or nothing to do with the rest of the country.

But WTFH you'll find that out soon enough.

Just enjoy

Must do things in Bangkok for me (5 days in a row 4 times/year):

1. Shopping Pantip placa/pratunam Market

2. Visit Bambo bar suk. soi 3 at least one time!

3. Eat the Turkich kebab/pizzas outside Bambo-bar at least one time!!

4. Visit the "world highest hotel" Bayoke sky buffe atleast one time!! This rules. Best buffe in the world!!! And view all over Bangkok!!

5. Yok Yor river-dinner at least one time (bring the wife and family for this one). SO romantic and SO good food!

(yes, i am fat! As you see i am a lover of food, living in Samui, coming to Bangkok, foodchoice!!!, Nighlife!!!.)

:o

Been coming to Thailand for 8 years now - went to Siam Niramit (Siam, the Enchanted Kingdom) and Khao San Road for the first time last week. A dinner and river cruise on the Chayo Praya river is not to be missed either.

Siam Niramit is not to be missed. A nice buffet meal - but don't linger. Go outside to the courtyard before heading to the show. If you have never been to Thailand before, or out of Bangkok - this is a must.

Peter

4. Visit the "world highest hotel" Bayoke sky buffe atleast one time!! This rules. Best buffe in the world!!! And view all over Bangkok!!

Forget Baiyoke, for the best night-time rooftop views and experience head to either Sirocco at State Tower or Vertigo at the Banyan Tree. Both are amazing bars (especially Sirocco - it's number 6 in this list of top 10 bars in the world.)

For me, apart from the suggestions already given, an excellent day out can be at at the "Muang Boran" or "Ancient City". This is the official site - it's a vast outdoor museum full of scaled down versions of Thai monuments past and present, but these are sizable temples in their own right. It's a full day to do it properly and there's no way you'll see all 120-odd attractions. I've been three times and still not seen it all. You hire bikes and cycle around the massive grounds. Good fun and some spectacular sites. That would be my top tip :o

Hi.

We looking for a program in Bangkok for next friday late afternoon/early evening.Maybe we have to see some traditional dance show..

Thanks for a help

For a reasonably priced dinner show (600 baht), you can go to Silom Village. It is a bit touristy but it is quite fun and entertaining. I've gone a couple times with visitors and have enjoyed it myself. You can call Ruen Thep at 02-233-9447. Call ahead since it is high season.

Hi all, I am a newbie coming to Bangkok for the first time. Can some of you list some of the must do things down? Thanks!

You might also consider the following:

1. Safari World which is an outdoor zoo with lots of entertaining side shows. (Need to take a taxi).

http://www.safariworld.com/

2. Rose Garden-Quite touristy but a great way to get a quick look at a lot of entertainment in one shot including elephant shows/rides, dancing, muay thai and more.

http://www.asia-discovery.com/Thailand/Bangkok/BKK-7.htm

3. Crocodile Farm-If you like this sort of thing it is fun. At times, it can be a bit nerve wracking especially when the handlers stick their heads in the mouths of the crocs but they know what they're doing (I think).

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/bangkok_ad...odile_farm.html

Edited by mauiguy90

You should visit the Grand Palace (Wat Phra Khao), but be aware of the huge scam going on there lately: when you get out of taxi go DIRECTLY TO THE MAIN ENTRANCE and NOT TO THE SMALLER ENTRANCE WITH THE SECURITY GARD (the one closer to the traffic circle). The scam goes on like this: once you are out of the cab a guy walking back and forth on the pedestrian walkway will forward you to that entrance (which you shouldn't go to) and once you are there another member of the gang (ususally wearing white shirt and speaking good, but very nervious English) will tell you that the Palace is closed right now because of the Buddist ceremony and will reopen in about 2-3 hours. He will then immediately suggest you to take one of the tuk-tuks, parked nearby (these are the other members of the same gang) and drive to some other temples (like reclining Buddha etc) in the mean time, while waiting for the Palace to "reopen". The tuk-tuk driver will show pictures of the places he will take you to. Fortunately for us we were three people, and my cousin wanted to experience "the tuk-tuk adventure" anyway so we decided to take a drive (it cost us 50 Baht for 3 people). So he took us to the first and the closest Buddha and then just drove us around from souvenier shop to souvenier shop, promising that "right after this one" he will take us to the temples, promised by him earlier, but that never happened of course. Realizing rather quickly that this was a scam, we paid him his 50B and took a cab back home. We didn't get to the Palace that day and on the next day when we went there again, same guys were operating there telling tourists the same lies about closed palace and Buddist ceremony...We of course just walked into the main entrance and got in without any problem. Just amazing, how such a huge scam can go unnoticed (or maybe nobody really cares about it) right near the main palace, where all the King's ceremonies take place.. My friend offered to me to call the tourist police, but I laughed at him, he is so naive....

It's ridiculous to suggest that Bangkok 'is like London and nothing to do with the real Thailand'... If you go to the right places in the older parts of Bangkok you will see very clearly that it is everything to do with Thailand and Thai life and culture. If, of course, you choose to hang out in the tourist areas or Silom and Sukhumvit sky scrapers ... up to you :o