Financial requirements & details for getting a Non-O (Retirement) Visa and other docs - In Thailand

I got my Non-O (retirement) in Penang back in the day you had to leave the country to receive it.  I have searched the web, but can't find the answer for this question.

A friend wants to get a Non-O (Retirement) visa here in Phuket and do everything in Thailand.   What are the requirements to get the Non-O here?

1.  Can he apply for the Non-O within the 30 (45) day tourist visa?  Or does he have to extend another 30-60 days?

2.    When does he put the money in the bank (800,000 THB) ?  How long does it have to be in the bank before he gets the Non-O?

3.  How long does the money have to be in the bank before he converts to the Extension of stay?

4.  Any other details he may need to know.

From what I understand he has to have the money in the bank 1-2 months before he converts and he converts about 2-3 weeks before the Non-O visa expires.

Sorry if this has been discussed  before, but when both of us search the web the answers are all over the board and I can't find anything about Non-O on the Phuket Volunteer Website.

Thank you for your help.

12 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Thanks, but what about the money?  How long does it have to be in the bank BEFORE you apply for the non-O?

Money has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non O .

In bank for 2 months on day you apply for extension.

This thread outlines process

https://aseannow.com/topic/1284614-change-visa-exempt-entry-to-non-o-spouse-visa-in-cw/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Money has to be in the bank on the day you apply for the non O .

In bank for 2 months on day you apply for extension.

All of which is outlined in the links provided by previous posts.

Have a read. 

Not difficult. 

Thanks.  I have been reading and reading.  I got 20,900,000 hits on the topic and I thought it might be easier to ask the "experts" than look at all 21 million pages.  ????  Thanks a million or two!

Edited by LivingNThailand

4 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Thanks.  I have been reading and reading.

I edited my post.

Has link to coule of threads. 

Will look for one specific to Phuket. 

Sure I have seen one. 

Here is link Phuket specific. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1226632-retirement-visa-non-o-initial-application-phuket-immigration-office-vs-bangkok/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I edited my post.

Has link to coule of threads. 

Will look for one specific to Phuket. 

Sure I have seen one. 

Thanks.  hahaha.  The links to the Non-O are "not found".  (I wonder why?)  Anyway, That's okay.  I have enough now for my friend.  He was worried about the money being in the bank long enough for the non-O.      Appreciate the prompt replies.  It's been a big help. ????

57 minutes ago, OJAS said:

A question.

If someone arrives on a visa exempt, then wants to change to Non O,

See where I have copied  and marked in bold below from No.8 on that linked form, 

How can they show a rental receipt for the past three months?

RentalAgreementbetweentheApplicantandtheLandlord; Acopy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months.

Just now, LivingNThailand said:

He was worried about the money being in the bank long enough for the non-O.

There is recent thread of Jomtien dragon lady insisting upon money in bank for 2 months for non O.

That is wrong but just shows what a nightmare some immigration offices can be.

Does your friend have a Thai bank account? 

He will need to show that the 800k came from abroad. 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Does your friend have a Thai bank account? 

He will need to show that the 800k came from abroad. 

Not yet.  He's going to get a 60 day tourist visa and get a bank account when he gets here.  That part is okay.  It's already  set up from the USA to transfer.  Thanks for all your help.

35 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

He's going to get a 60 day tourist visa and get a bank account when he gets here. 

It's actually not so difficult in Phuket to open a bank account as it is in other places but still not simple on a tourist visa. 

Most likely requires a residence certificate.

The transfer part from abroad is simple. 

Many folk use WISE. 

• Thanks 1