Open a bank account on a tourist visa

Dear forum friends,

I have been reading posts and watching videos and learned that most branches at most banks are pretty strict with opening a bank account for people on their tourist visas. But there are a few branches in each bank that can help people without work permit. Most people have been suggesting going around branches in Siam, Chit Lom and Silom. 

Was wondering if anyone had any experience and knows which exact branch/bank worked. 

Much Appreciated!

Did it in Chiang Mai on a visa waiver.

Bangkok Bank, Siam TV branch.

We did get our TM30 forms done by the condo we rented (AirBnB) and also Residency Certificates with the assist of an agency. After that we tried a couple of branches. One just said no, one wanted us to buy some BS insurance policy for nearly 6,000 baht, the one we finally went to was absolutely fabulous.  Bank books, ATM cards, all in about 45 minutes. 

• Like 2

I opened a savings account at Krungsri Bank in November while on a visa exempt entry.

I had a tm30, passport and international drivers license and thai wife with me.  Told them I needed to open an account to start my deposits for retirement. They made a call to the head office to confirm my docs were ok and 25 minutes later I was walking out with a savings account and debit card, bank book and bank app on my phone.

Note:

Krungsri has been closing branch banks that are low volume but high volume areas and atms are still around in most areas. 

Also I did not have to buy insurance. 

• Like 1

I opened one with Bangkok Bank on a tourist visa about a year ago. I had to get a rather expensive residency cert from my embassy first. Bangkok Bank at Siam Paragon let me have a debit card and bank book, but not internet banking. First they gave me a China Union Pay card, but I went back to have it changed to a Mastercard. Fee is 600 thb per year

On 1/29/2023 at 8:50 PM, Dan O said:

I opened a savings account at Krungsri Bank in November while on a visa exempt entry.

I had a tm30, passport and international drivers license and thai wife with me.  Told them I needed to open an account to start my deposits for retirement. They made a call to the head office to confirm my docs were ok and 25 minutes later I was walking out with a savings account and debit card, bank book and bank app on my phone.

Note:

Krungsri has been closing branch banks that are low volume but high volume areas and atms are still around in most areas. 

Also I did not have to buy insurance. 

which branch was this please?

10 minutes ago, Everyman said:

which branch was this please?

Mine was opened in Nakhon Si Thammarat but it needed approval of the main office in BKK. I know several people that have opened accounts with Krungsri in a variety of provinces, towns and in BKK on tourist visas and exempt entries. 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:32 AM, Dan O said:

Mine was opened in Nakhon Si Thammarat but it needed approval of the main office in BKK. I know several people that have opened accounts with Krungsri in a variety of provinces, towns and in BKK on tourist visas and exempt entries. 

I’ve been turned away from about 7 branches and told I cannot open an account there on a tourist visa, only a “one year visa.” 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:57 AM, Everyman said:

I’ve been turned away from about 7 branches and told I cannot open an account there on a tourist visa, only a “one year visa.” 

That's their current policy now. I managed to open an account on a tourist visa around two years ago, but that is no longer possible.

• Like 1

Worth noting that if you have a long standing account dont ever let the balance get so low that the annual debit card fee (most banks levy) knocks the account negative and subsequently closed

As some people subsequently find out this aint 1993 anymore and they're harder to open now

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

Worth noting that if you have a long standing account dont ever let the balance get so low that the annual debit card fee (most banks levy) knocks the account negative and subsequently closed

As some people subsequently find out this aint 1993 anymore and they're harder to open now

Indeed. You don’t just “wear nice shoes” or “bring a Thai.” That doesn’t change the requirements. 

Also, if you have an account you expect to be unused for awhile, you can cancel the debit card so that there is no fee for the account.

You still have to maintain a minimum balance for the account to not be considered inactive. I think that’s 3000 baht. But I think in principle if you have no card on the account and say a 4000 baht balance you can leave the account for 5 years and it should be okay.

Edited by Everyman

15 hours ago, Everyman said:

Indeed. You don’t just “wear nice shoes” or “bring a Thai.” That doesn’t change the requirements. 

Also, if you have an account you expect to be unused for awhile, you can cancel the debit card so that there is no fee for the account.

You still have to maintain a minimum balance for the account to not be considered inactive. I think that’s 3000 baht. But I think in principle if you have no card on the account and say a 4000 baht balance you can leave the account for 5 years and it should be okay.

Easiest way to keep it "active" even with a relatively low balance as I did in the Covid period was to occasionally use the SCB facility to top up the Sim card from the app

• Like 1