December and January were massive tourism months – but still less than 50% of 2019 average

webfact

image.jpeg

Phi Phi islands boat tour

By Peter Roche

Phuket is experiencing a resurgence in tourism, with the number of visitors to the island reaching nearly 50% of pre-pandemic levels, according to the director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand Office in Phuket, Nantasiri Ronsiri.

According to the local TAT office, from January to December 2022, Phuket saw 9.26 million visitors, with 53.6% being domestic tourists and 46.4% being international tourists.

Ms. Ronsiri noted that foreign tourists contributed 70% of the entire revenue, while Thai tourists accounted for around 20%. The top 10 countries in terms of the number of arrivals to Phuket over the last year were Russia, India, Australia, England, Singapore, Germany, Malaysia, Kazakhstan, South Korea and the US.

The arrival numbers, published by Phuket Immigration, from November 1, 2022 – January 26, 2023, show the huge ratio of Russian vs other nationalities arriving in Thailand.

image.jpeg

“It is surprising to see Kazakhstan and America on the list, as a large group of Kazakh tourists generally choose to land and stay in Phuket for a few days before taking a trip to other destinations, such as Bangkok or Samui island.”

“As for Thai tourists, many chose to visit Phuket over the New Year’s Day period, but foreign tourists still outnumbered them. In the middle of January, 2023, Phuket welcomed three flights from China, which mostly carried business people. However, large Chinese tour groups are expected to arrive in Phuket as soon as they receive visas.”

The hotel occupancy rate in Phuket is currently at about 80%, with some places reaching 90-95%.

“But some hotels are not fully open yet, as they lack the funds to restart their operations.”

It is estimated that there are around 30% of Phuket’s hotels and businesses still closed.

Ms. Ronsiri stated that the objective for 2023 is to attract a minimum of 12 million international and domestic tourists to Phuket, while the overall target for Thailand is to welcome 23 million visitors.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/phuket-news/december-and-january-were-massive-tourism-months-but-still-less-than-50-of-2019-average/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

For those particularly in Phuket is it easy to tell the difference between Russians and Kazakh's?

I know next to nothing about Kazakhstan and was surprised at the relatively high numbers visiting Phuket. Is that normal for high season there?

2 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

I’m in Phuket now and have spent the last 2 days travelling around. The place is busy but it’s busy because of an incredibly high percentage of Russians who aren’t really tourists given they have booked out half the condos in parts of the island for many months and they have 3+ month bookings on car and motorbike hire. I mean they are hiding from the war and the potential consequences (conscription) of war. Which is fine but it’s also not really tourism. 

The areas around Karon, Kata, Rawai are so Russian that awful Russian disco music is heard blaring through loudspeakers everywhere ???? 

it’s an unusual experience 

I bet the locals are happy? I mean with surge in business?????

• Like 1

It said that Thais were 56% of visitors in 2022. Strange, of approx 750k visitors from Nov 1 to Jan 26, there were only 7k, or about 1%. If for whole of 2022 the number of visitors was 9.5m, or approx 800k per month, then Thais were around 525k a month. But for three months from Nov to Jan total 7200, or 2,400 per month. What happened to all the Thais?

3 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

I’m in Phuket now and have spent the last 2 days travelling around. The place is busy but it’s busy because of an incredibly high percentage of Russians who aren’t really tourists given they have booked out half the condos in parts of the island for many months and they have 3+ month bookings on car and motorbike hire. I mean they are hiding from the war and the potential consequences (conscription) of war. Which is fine but it’s also not really tourism. 

The areas around Karon, Kata, Rawai are so Russian that awful Russian disco music is heard blaring through loudspeakers everywhere ???? 

it’s an unusual experience 

I drive home from Kata to rawai every evening but have yet to hear that awful Russian disco music. Many awful livebands though.

Do agree that many are not your average tourist. Imo perfect, the previous numbers were not sustainable.

Edited by stevenl

7 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

It said that Thais were 56% of visitors in 2022. Strange, of approx 750k visitors from Nov 1 to Jan 26, there were only 7k, or about 1%. If for whole of 2022 the number of visitors was 9.5m, or approx 800k per month, then Thais were around 525k a month. But for three months from Nov to Jan total 7200, or 2,400 per month. What happened to all the Thais?

Probably they don't have a clue....just numbers to make things looks good..indeed 7200 Thai tourists are unbelievable low, surely with the New Years break in it..Maybe they only use the arrivals by plane not the minivans and cars.. but again they don't have a clue.. guessing, estimating, expecting... They don't even know how many rooms are available... as they wrote some hotels don't have full capacity...Just read it and leave it 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, stevenl said:

I drive home from Kata to rawai every evening but have yet to hear that awful Russian disco music. Many awful livebands though.

It are not only the Russians.... Ever heard a Thai band or a karaoke singer?? Much worse is almost impossible

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Interesting, if they are hiding from conscription they must be fairly young, that is under 50, I wonder what visas they are getting to stay for such an extended period?

All working remote, many many of them in their 30ies with 1-2 kids.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

All working remote, many many of them in their 30ies with 1-2 kids.

Fair enough, no problem with that, but surely if they are staying for months at a time they must have some kind of 'long term' visa? I had heard from another poster that many were on ED visas?

• Thumbs Up 1

So Peter writes this:

"It is surprising to see Kazakhstan and America on the list, as a large group of Kazakh tourists generally choose to land and stay in Phuket for a few days before taking a trip to other destinations, such as Bangkok or Samui island.

So why would people from Kazakhstan NOT be counted as tourists to Phuket if they arrive and spend a " few " days there? Then he completely leaves out his ( stupid most likely) reason for Americans! 
I really wonder how some journalists say they are journalists? Even if Ms Ronsiri stated this Peter should have questioned such a complete idiotic statement and got an answer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

Interesting, if they are hiding from conscription they must be fairly young, that is under 50, I wonder what visas they are getting to stay for such an extended period?

Maybe it's the new yellow fever visa that's only available for running Russians. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, topt said:

For those particularly in Phuket is it easy to tell the difference between Russians and Kazakh's?

I know next to nothing about Kazakhstan and was surprised at the relatively high numbers visiting Phuket. Is that normal for high season there?

I worked in Kaz, Kazakhs tend to be more different facially more so their eyes, a bit more ‘shanty’ with out being too rude.

I wouldn't call 50% pre-Covid levels "massive", when you consider how long the travel restrictions have been lifted already and that other places are at something like 90% recovery rate already. Thailand's tourism recovery is rather sluggish, for whatever reason(s).

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, stevenl said:

Do agree that many are not your average tourist. Imo perfect, the previous numbers were not sustainable.

It was at Kata Noi. I felt like I was in a bad Moscow disco on a section of the beach. Apparently it was being pumped out from a hotel with beach frontage ????????‍♂️

In response to other question about age there was a lot of under 40’s and quite a lot with kids. My sense was much higher percentage of younger Russians than pre Covid. 

Overall though Phuket nowhere near as busy as pre Covid