Pattaya: Senior traffic cop transferred after allegedly extorting 30,000 baht from tourist(s)

webfact

3 hours ago, Katipo said:

Many outsiders have a very positive opinion of Thai people in general. Then it just takes one encounter with some form of government official to irreparably damage that.

A few encounters with bar girls/staff or freelancers, and you'll quickly lose any disillusion that they don't just want your money. Don't need government officials to learn that. Can still have great fun (in bars, and Thailand in general) but one does have to watch the bill here...

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

I've been in Thailand for 16 years and been stitched up by the traffic police three times. It was only 200 baht each time, but still a stitch up. Twice it was for "spending too much time in outside lane" whilst overtaking a line of cars and the other was when the BIB showed me a small wrinkled piece of paper with "120 KPH" written on it when I was actually well within the limit.

I payed up each time rather than surrender my license and drive to find some obscure police to pay the fine and obtain a receipt. Yes, I know, it just encourages them.

There is a difference between paying a bribe to ignore a misdemeanour or crime you haven't done as opposed to one they have pretended you have done. Both are illegal and regrettable actions by people paid to keep order, but the latter is a far more reprehensible action and should not be tolerated or encouraged.

52 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I lent 5,000 Baht to a man so he could bail his brother out of the local nick (probably corruption money) but he was true to his word and paid me back two days later as he said he would. Another occasion was a little strange, one of the men involved in building my house 16 years ago and lives in my village (a neighbour in fact) asked to 'borrow' 2,000 Baht with the caveat that he probably won't be able to pay me back, at least if he could it would take a long time. He needed it to repair his motor bike that he needed for work. Now I know this man well, a proud, honest man of few words who worked hard on the building sites in the locality, he seemed to be skilled at everything to do with house building but the pay in Isaan is low. Despite this he had built his own modest house and sent his two daughters to teacher training college. So yes I gave him the money as a gift for doing a good job on mu house, I told him to accept it as a bonus but he was never to tell anybody about it, especially his wife, I didn't want a bunch of ne'er do wells lining up outside my gate.

We mostly come from countries who pay well, we get paid sick leave and paid holidays (OK not Americans) we have good health care and pension rights but these people have none of that, no security, and yet they struggle on regardless, everything they have is by due of their own sweat, I admire them, I wouldn't survive 6 months in a farming village here.

Its funny...the ones who often cant afford it tend to be the ones who are the most honest.  All three times I've lent money I've had to repeatedly remind the borrowers that they need to cough up.  The sums were a bit more substantial ...between 30 and 40k so my sympathy levels are lower than yours.  Two of them drive BMW X1s and one carries. Celine handbag.  All women...for whatever that's worth

Edited by happydreamer
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Exactly. One would think that given so much publicity over the last week these *****s would lay low for a while - but nope! Straight into another scandal.

Regular shake down money has become a large part of their income so their financial obligations have kept pace with this income boost, payments on the new car, corrupt promotion payments, tuition fees for advanced education of the kids, the bank loan for that house extension, grandmas retirement home etc. They can't stop even if they wanted to.....and they don't want to. Many started off with debt, paying for their guns, police motorbikes, uniforms etc. The government pays them peanuts so they get monkeys.

I stayed in an area of one room apartments occupied by bar girls for a few nights on Koh Samui (sins of my past) and witnessed several young policemen asking the girls for food money so they could eat on their night shift (genuinely asking, no shake down) and the girls who also came from poor areas were sympathetic, they invited them to share a meal or gave them 50 Baht. I suppose this also worked to the girls advantage, live and let live, you don't tread on the toes of your benefactor. I don't agree with corruption in any form, especially with their well heeled bosses but is endemic in Thai society, in the end Thailand suffers as a whole.

After the prohibition in America the police were given a proper living wage and corruption (which is demeaning and shameful ) plummeted.

• Like 1

As e cigarettes. Are legal in many countries, signs should be put up at every immigration booth saying so , with a picture. Let it be known to travel agents , airlines etc. This is getting more than ridiculous. 
Also, pay you fine , if you have one, at a 7/11 . Oh, great idea ? 

• Thanks 1

I’m very cynical when it comes to Thailand and its future with such a corrupt system, it just seems to get worse and worse. Or maybe it’s been this bad all along and more comes to light now.

Singapore used to be quite corrupt as well, until Lee Kuan Yew came to power in 1959 and cleaned house. And I mean he cleaned house like nobody’s business: Singapore is now number 5 in the corruption index. That is a huge accomplishment.
I’m not saying I was a big fan of Lee Kuan Yew, I don’t really like autocratic leaders, but this is one thing he got right, and which was very good for the country. So it is possible to turn a corrupt country around, it just takes strong leadership, determination and probably a lot of time.

I’m not holding my breath when it comes to Thailand, though….

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I’m very cynical when it comes to Thailand and its future with such a corrupt system, it just seems to get worse and worse. Or maybe it’s been this bad all along and more comes to light now.

Singapore used to be quite corrupt as well, until Lee Kuan Yew came to power in 1959 and cleaned house. And I mean he cleaned house like nobody’s business: Singapore is now number 5 in the corruption index. That is a huge accomplishment.
I’m not saying I was a big fan of Lee Kuan Yew, I don’t really like autocratic leaders, but this is one thing he got right, and which was very good for the country. So it is possible to turn a corrupt country around, it just takes strong leadership, determination and probably a lot of time.

I’m not holding my breath when it comes to Thailand, though….

correct 

7 hours ago, Deez said:

The whole reason E-Cigs are "illegal" is so police can "fine"tourists

And to protect the tobacco monopoly. Insanely high penalties are possible for caught vaping (or even just with an e-cigarette device in their possession). This could (potentially) result in a  fine of up to 30,000 Baht (close to $1,000) and /or a maximum jail sentence of 10 years.

That has nothing to do with fair laws for the people. This vaping law is beyond all reason.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Until these police start getting fired from the force, things will never change.

Too bad that corruption in Thailand goes all the way to the top or RTP and the other

police forces. Maybe Big Joke should talk to the most powerful family and get

their permission to publicly  fire some of the top, and medium positions in all the police forces.

Maybe some politicians should be sacked as well. A genuine shake up may help the situation a bit.

The chief has to say something. He is hoping people forget, and that he can simply transfer his boys to another station, at full pay, without a reprimand. Why would they be reprimanded? They were just doing the job profile of an RTP officer. My bet is the guys who do not bring back alot of cash to feed the Pyramid scheme, are the ones who face disciplinary action. 

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

and witnessed several young policemen asking the girls for food money so they could eat on their night shift (genuinely asking, no shake down) and the girls who also came from poor areas were sympathetic, they invited them to share a meal or gave them 50 Baht.

Reminds me of the times my gf would go out of her way to give the security guards at our condo little things like coffee of pepsi etc. I guess it's ingrained in society that they need to help those that protect them.

Having said that- buying an officer coffee or even giving them a few hundred baht voluntarily is quite different from being extorted for 30,000 under the threat of arrest. I think none of these cases would've made it to the spotlight if the officers weren't greedy and asked for smaller amounts.

Sadly I don't think the pay system will change anytime soon, so as the lesser of two evils I hope amounts requested are at least reduced to reasonable rather than extortionate.

• Like 2

He was ready and prepared to give evidence in the case. 

Your honor, I am RTP. You and I both know I am above the law, and protected at every level. They even told us that in the academy. That is all the evidence I need. The person making the complaint is just a citizen. They don't count. You know that. I know that. The RTP are superior to citizens. We have the power and you are sworn to protect us. So, drop the charges and let me get on with my franchise. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jbaldwin said:

Are you sure about this.  I have lived in Thailand for 20 years and have never had any problems with the police.

Been in Pattaya less than 20 years and been ripped off three times.  My wife extorted out of 17,000 as the bent Sattahip cop threatened to make my next year's visa 'very difficult.'

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Been in Pattaya less than 20 years and been ripped off three times.  My wife extorted out of 17,000 as the bent Sattahip cop threatened to make my next year's visa 'very difficult.'

Tell us more, what were the circumstances ? It's not just the 17,000, it's obviously had a severe effect on your mental health evidenced by the fact you have to post ad-nauseam on any police related story.

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Telling them to stop is like asking someone to take a huge cut in earnings. 

That is the whole problem, being in the RTP is just very profitable. That’s why people are willing to pay millions of baht to get higher up in the hierarchy, because the higher up you get, the more money you rake in. It’s basically just one big Ponzi scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, kinyara said:

Tell us more, what were the circumstances ? It's not just the 17,000, it's obviously had a severe effect on your mental health evidenced by the fact you have to post ad-nauseam on any police related story.

You're right, I have a jaundiced view of Thai police; I hate bullies and believe you can judge a country by its police force. 

I was waiting at a U-turn when two tearaways without helmets/license ran into me at 90kph.  The scruffy cop who shambled round 15 minutes later decreed I was at fault as I had emerged from a minor road to cross Sukhumvit.  His report, all in Thai, showed my vehicle jutting out into the main road.  I refused to sign it.  My insurance agent said if I didn't the casualties would not get class 1 hospital treatment, so I signed.  (He was later replaced.)  After months of mental turmoil I paid out over 100K for lawyers and victims; (on a frozen UK pension.)  There have been two other incidents where police have used their 'discretion' in dealing with family incidents.

I live here because my son owns a restaurant in Bangkok.  I am generally happy with my life.  As a professional writer I enjoy composing.  Every one accepts Thai police are bent on an almost daily basis.  Unless people (like the Taiwanese actress) make a fuss, nothing will change. 

Presumably you have no problem with corruption?