finding a very well-informed travel agent in Chiang Mai

orang37

short version: want to talk to a local travel agent/guru who is aware of what flights/prices might be available in the next months for CNX <=> US travel. ,appreciate your comments !

I am helping a US friend plan a longer visit to Chiang Mai in the next few months ... maybe 5 weeks to 12 ... I have warned them about the very hot weather and possible intense air-pollution.

Right now, fairly low air-fares US<=>CNX are available, but, I am concerned that if my friend needs to go back earlier because of the air/heat, or whatever, they might not be able to change if the tickets were purchased at a lower rate.

Of course, no one can predict the extent/intensity of air pollution here this year. I read 2022 hot season did have less pollution on average than the last 2 years. global climate change could be a factor ... as it is in the current unusual S.E. Asia/China cold shape.

I have been researching flexible date air fares: policies on different airline: the vary by types of travel. lots of offers of flexible departure date, very little info on changes to return date.

Buying a one-way ticket to come here and deferring buying the return ? risky ? maybe return desired on is very $$$ ? while the odds are (?) that intntl. tickets from Thailand to US will be lower cost in April/May low-season,  still a hypothesis..

thanks, ~o:37;

My own personal experience is to deal with the airline directly and not use travel agents, rescheduling can be cumbersome, difficult and expensive. One way purchase is usually less expensive to the destination than the return because of the early date, example booking 10 days before the flight could be 25000฿ more expensive than booking 45 days in advance. Choosing the the flexible date option on the return with an airline can be very expensive, not only on the upfront end, but when you rebook the return they’ll charge whatever the current price is for that flight on that date. So it’s important to speak with the airline to get a clear understanding and be sure to read documented agreement  of the fair base type of the ticket before purchasing to avoid any  misunderstandings. Scout out the price on the internet then call the airline.

If the international airline doesn’t provide booking from home city, then book separately one way from home city to international airport and book the return to home city about two weeks before the return, because of the frequent schedule changes of the US airlines.

Of course, booking round trip and not changing the schedule will always be less expensive.

Edited by onthedarkside
Oversize font reformatted
  • Thumbs Up 1