Recommendations for a motorcycle/bike school in Pattaya

spongeworthy

Thanks OMF. I've lived in Thailand for a while, both currently and previously, and have ridden bikes here on occasion. I'm well aware of the hazards and have seen my share of people laying in the road next to their bike with everyone blissfully walking past paying them no mind, and I may end up not even purchasing one if I don't feel confident after my lessons, but I hate driving cars in cities/traffic so much that I want to at least get some proper lessons and a license so the option to rent or purchase is always there.

• Like 1

I personally wouldn't consider taking motorbike riding lessons from a Thai instructor, he'll only pass on his own bad habits of riding locally. I'd be looking for a British instructor.

Seeing so many bike accidents here caused me to quit riding on main roads here years ago and although I still have the machine, I only use it for going to the local shop and emergencies if the car breaks down.

School really, school hum... recommend a riding jacket, I have Joe Rocket from America my son  brought it over with him, you can also purchase riding jacket vented white color if possible in BKK, again vented riding pants best... on long tour pants best and also full face helmet and riding gloves full finger.

I have two bikes a 125cc PCX Honda recommend as a beginners bike once mastered I graduated to a Forza 300cc Honda, had both bikes modified with Dr. Pulley a Round Roller weight that the Variator like a gear changer makes acceleration faster and top end speed faster... www.unionmaterial. com   both bikes are fast acceleration even new Forza 350 lags behind, amazing what modified Variator does!

Regarding lessons...be street wise go ride as paying client with these bike taxis of course wear a helmet you have in hand and gloves..strange but the best protection in riding with most saftey, ride for the crash! if you do this you will always sub conspicuously aware of dangers, locked loaded and ready!

Most important is the rear view mirror, you can see infront ok but always when turning right look to see who in behind you and signal well before turning..if need be keep going straight if followed by car...wait till clear in front before turning, different if the car in front of you is turning right ok follow...turning onto traffic again have a car in front of you going same direction..follow beside as a moving wall to protect you from oncoming traffic. Same principal on highways if long ride avoid the left side as lots of traffic car and bikes entering the highway, on big bike Forza go into the fast lane and wait till car comes behind you, go slowly to right and let pass, then follow this car keep up with him as this is you moving wall that protects you...if another fast car approaches again go left and let pass and follow him..sounds strange but you will find a car that will go slow in the fast lane and other cars will pass on left...again safe ride. On stop light either go left lane like turning left and as you approach the intersection slide in on right with rest of bikes awaiting green...   Oh best time to learn is Sunday morning say 6pm no body on roads, go to shopping mall and practice... slow driving without putting foot down, buy tire pump for air... recommend on the rear tire de inflate tire so near flate or if you have older tire you want to replace later ride on rim! why?.... this will give you an uncontrolled steering at speed, the faster you go the more uncontrolled steering you have .... lesson...if experience this decelerate quick ... apply brakes with give you control the bike will stop front end from wiggling steering from side to side...   Note: on rear tire failure at speed this uncontrolled steering will occur and no surprise you know what to do!...  You wanted lesson right... More tips on request... [email protected]

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.02.19 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I always notice a place on the left in the alley before bkk hospital because it's a large area at up for testing with cones and stuff.

I looked on maps. The place is called advance driving school Pattaya.

They do cars and bikes.

That's all i know.

They also have a school in Chantharburi 'advance driving school' a few years ago my missus did her car test there (20hr) 5,500b. they also do motor bike license tests  1,000b not sure about 'Proper lessons' they put you on their test track & instruct you, with the car they test you on the road as well. Do you already have a M/C license? if not they also take you for the medical & to the transport office to issue License. I was very impressed with them, no rip offs, no scams.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I personally wouldn't consider taking motorbike riding lessons from a Thai instructor, he'll only pass on his own bad habits of riding locally. I'd be looking for a British instructor.

Seeing so many bike accidents here caused me to quit riding on main roads here years ago and although I still have the machine, I only use it for going to the local shop and emergencies if the car breaks down.

Yes, I no longer take the bike near the main highways.... see too much danger on them.  I passed my bike test a long time ago in the UK, it was pretty trivial back then... I suspect I learned more road sense from the lessons to drive a car I took prior. 

I'd been riding big bikes since I was old enough to get on one.  But here in Thailand, I have a 125cc.  

Pattaya isn't the best place to get back in the saddle.  No doubt you've seen the way they ride. My advise is to get a basic 125cc and get used to it before joining the daily free-for-all.

Edited by Moti24
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

In Thailand I would learn from a Thai instructor, or at least a person who drives/rides in Thailand since many years.

What's the point of learning how to ride like a civilized person if that never happens in real life? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for all of the recommendations and advice. Just arrived in town a couple of days ago and have been busy looking for a house. Will have to revisit this post once I'm settled in so I can actually focus on all the great info provided.

Edited by spongeworthy