Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Where to get a decent accomodation in CM right now?

miancina

14 minutes ago, miancina said:

why 6k? because no isolation?

The buildings are concrete and poor isolated, single windows. Old as well. In cities they get very hot, hard to keep them cool, unless perhaps in lucky cases where all your neighbours already run full steam. On top of often older aircons, or higher than government electric rates.

6K is certainly over the top, but it is no surprise to get 2.5-3.0K baht electric bills at a 4K room. Unless you love to heat. Also, not so much about it being a 4K room but more the general size of a studio, would be same at a 12K condo new building studio size (which are also concrete and poor isolated).

Mind you that the 4-12K rates usually are 3+ month contracts with some deposit.

Aside all this, transport costs also add up, easily gets 3-5K per month. If you factor in all these variables, it is not that bad of a deal to be on walking distance of everything, without deposit or contracts, at just 15-20K a month.

But then again, this is why ''what you like'' matters, some people would rather be 20 mins out of town for < 5K rent so they can then rent a big bike for 5K too, and enjoy 5K on fuel to drive around.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

There are many guesthouses in the old city, inside the moat... It is a very charming and quaint area to stay, many restaurants and coffee houses and young travelers to chat with... the North East quadrant is particulalry nice... 

guesthouses are small hotels for mostly young travelers... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Aside all this, transport costs also add up, easily gets 3-5K per month. If you factor in all these variables, it is not that bad of a deal to be on walking distance of everything, without deposit or contracts, at just 15-20K a month.

This is very insightful. I live in Nimman, which is prob a 20% premium over being down by the night market. Everything is very walkable and I'll never even be able to scratch the surface of the restaurant choices here.

I might get in a Grab Cab once a week. Shopping, fitness, expat services, are all within 10 minutes on foot -mostly along low-traffic streets.

The Old City would be similar. These areas cost more, because they're vastly more pleasurable to live in.

I looked at the area to the left of the night market, where there are a lot of cheaper priced condo's. But truth be told, it just wasn't western-comfortable enough for me. A KFC and then nothing else western.

I want a mix. And a great latte in the morning. And 1st class pad thai at a plastic seat restaurant 10 feet away.

So for me, Nimman and The Old City (harder to rent in due to less inventory) are it. Otherwise, it's like moving to New York City and living on Staten Island.

Edited by LaosLover

On 2/5/2023 at 8:09 AM, LaosLover said:

Smith Residence is heavily favored over at r/Chiang Mai in a thread called Best Hotel for an affordable long term stay. Half a dozen other options listed too.

For me, the rave reviews of the Smith Residence has always been one of the mysteries of the Orient.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

For me, the rave reviews of the Smith Residence has always been one of the mysteries of the Orient.

A pal of mine stayed there, I didn't think it was anything special either.

100 other guesthouses to choose from with the same quality of rooms but 33% cheaper.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2023 at 9:46 PM, Xanthe said:

May be a dump and may not have a kitchen. And if you run A/C (If they have one) your electric bill will be another 6K/month. 

Complete nonsense, I've stayed in several 6k/month guesthouses.

Memorable were NuanPranee Guesthouse (near MoonMuang), and Emporium Residence (Santhitham).

Both 6k/month + 6k deposit, my electricity bills were around 600-1000bht/month. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Complete nonsense, I've stayed in several 6k/month guesthouses.

Memorable were NuanPranee Guesthouse (near MoonMuang), and Emporium Residence (Santhitham).

Both 6k/month + 6k deposit, my electricity bills were around 600-1000bht/month. 

Definitely seem to be 2 Chiang Mai's.

Helps me understand some of the posts in other threads (e.g., "How expensive to live in Chiang Mai?") where I try to figure out how some people can spend so much monthly.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, miancina said:

but i need for 2 months only

usually they want 1 year rental

Case by case. Maybe owner has a gap in tenants?

Many hotels do good deals on monthly room rentals. Usually come with TV and internet service. Perhaps also laundry and breakfast are part of the deal or can be negotiated.

One place in Chiang Mai a friend looked at also had options of linen and towel change. He went for linen, towels, full bathroom and room clean twice a week. Extra 30Baht if extra room clean up requested. Rate included 15 laundry articles per week, additional 10Baht per piece washed and ironed, all returned late same day or by 10:00 am next morning if sent to laundry late in the afternoon. Also free hotel transport to local bus station / airport etc.

All up 10,000Baht a month (incl breakfast) for a one month contract, cheaper if willing to sign for 3 months or more.

Hotel has many monthly tenants. Also provide a long list of local shops which deliver promptly (some free delivery / some very cheap delivery) when items ordered by phone. I know he used very near by local 7/11 many times because one of staff spoke good English.

Sorry I don't know name of hotel, friend stayed at this hotel for one year then went back to UK and since deceased. 

Edited by scorecard

You gotta look around, on the ground, to get a real deal.

I thought I had stayed at the Smith Residence, but it was a similar place, not far away, down a side soi. It was a real island of lost monger boys. Just great, on a hard to leave the soi that catered to them. In today's money, prob about 10K.

I agree with the poster above that a guest house that's a little bit away from the action is the most likely to offer up a discount, but like he says, they prefer to offer up services instead of a discount.

When I decided on Nimman, I walked up and down every street. Contrary to popular opinion, applying to the condo's directly didn't yield anything, partic with no Thai language ability. A broker did it all. The condo owner paid her, not me.

Places go fast here. My new place had 20 viewings scheduled on its first day. But the broker called me up and I snuck over to book it the night before.

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Places go fast here. My new place had 20 viewings scheduled on its first day. But the broker called me up and I snuck over to book it the night before.

More likely there were no viewings booked and the broker scammed you.

Love the Booking.com 'there are only 2 rooms left in this area' messages.

• Like 1

I'm still paying rent on the place I vacated yesterday and someone was over looking at it today. It too hasn't been listed yet. Some old characters at the coffee bar have already enquired for friends. 

Nimman is very in demand with Japanese and Korean long term-stayers, as one can surmise by the restaurant options. 

In the 15-25K range of new buildings with pools here, there's not a huge inventory. Partic on the "good side" of Nimman Road (same side as The Nimman1 shopping complex).

When I was killing time at a cheapie guest house (with breakfast, but without laundry -who knew?), I could take my pick for $10K a month. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ArnieP said:

First Sparktrader and now it seems has the OP ☹️

Sparktrader definitely has at least 2 handles this would be the third. Don’t remember what the other one was but he would argue with himself with the two handles on the threads. Just weird.

• Like 1

If want or need a full kitchen on a short term basis it could be difficult.  The nice apartments/condos with all the amenities usually require a long term contract(6 or 12 months). I personally know of two apartments in CNX that offer month to month with a deposit. You can stay one or two months, get your deposit back(minus cleaning fee) and just leave.  1) Baan Thai apartments in the middle of Nimman and last I checked a decent studio was 7,000 2) Huay Kaew Residence on Huay Kaew Road but this area has gotten less attractive because Kad Suan Kaew shopping center closed last year.  HK Residence has studio units(no kitchen) for 3500 to 6000.  They do have some family units but they can go as high as 15,000.  

You might want to book a hotel for 3 or 4 days and go to many of the locations you like and ask if they will accept a mont to month tenant.  

On 2/3/2023 at 10:14 PM, miancina said:

on booking the small room costs from 22000 - 30000, that is ridiculous

Welcome to modern chiang mai, the glory days passed long ago. Now its an overrun tourist ghetto that mainly extracts money from foreigners. Also keep in mind most hotels do not have kitchens. You want a kitchen you'll need an airbnb but expect to pay 20-30k per month for a shoe box.

Also dont forget about 1000-2000 baht for an air purifier in your room so you dont feel ill everyday.

Edited by at15
  • Sad 2

my electricity for 3 people in a 2br condo is about 1500 a month. we use the 3 aircons but not a lot as we find fans more comfortable.

6k may be places not using govt electric rates who make up for lower rent by overcharging per unit electricity.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, jonwilly said:

I live in a condo next to CM UNI.

Occasionally rooms become advertise at around B3,500 per month. Evan in the hotter seasons my electricity bill never exceeds say B1,500 and water about B100 per month.

john

confirmed..my elect is usually about 600 bt    water 150...all costs being about 4200/month...im content living in 3000-4000 studios that are quite nice(for me)